We need a metal channel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need a metal channel!

my wife watches the HGTV channel hours a day and gets all kind of goofy ideas about painting the kitchen for the 10th time in the ten years we have lived there and decorating the bathroom, planting more shrubs and all that junk.
    This channel is dedicated to women and the home.

What we need is a metal channel for men! It would be 24 hours a day of motorcycles, hotrods, airplanes, metal working, welding--I would even include woodworking. More shows like Monster garage and the morons at the OC choppers, only 24/7. What do you think?

More OC chopper and American Hot Rod? I think I would rather grab a rotating fly cutter.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Is there room on that cutter for two ?

We do have this show here though.
      I know a couple of the people who have been on this show and it is genuine and very well presented.

http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...salvage_squad/

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 07-14-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikem:
        [B]my wife watches the HGTV channel hours a day and gets all kind of goofy ideas about painting the kitchen for the 10th time in the ten years we have lived there and decorating the bathroom, planting more shrubs and all that junk.
        This channel is dedicated to women and the home.

No doubt. Our TV is stuck on that channel. I run screaming from the living room nightly. That channel has gone from normal home and garden shows to ....I better shut up here before I say something non PC.

Anyway, I spend my time cruising machining websites and boards and trying to learn how to work my new machines.

Comment

Junkyard Wars?

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/ju.../junkyard.html

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 07-14-2004).]
          John

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
            More OC chopper and American Hot Rod? I think I would rather grab a rotating fly cutter.</font>
            How did you read my mind?

Comment

Alternately, how about having your cable disconnected. Let her spend the money you save on stuff for the house. It sounds like you would come out way ahead.

Comment

How about "This Old Machine Shop" or "New Yankee Machine Shop" ... either one hosted by Forrest Addy.
                Den

Comment

"Little Machine Shop on the Prairie"

Comment

Den, I'll second that. Still, HGTV is better than those soap operas. Anyway, it's the wife who pays the cable bill in this house. And as long as I have my cable modem ....
                    Bob

Comment

I like that one John mentions and it must be genuine. I can remember one episode where one of the people was cutting a new thread on a large bronze valve spindle,I think the chuck must have been about 4 ft. across.
                      He's already done one pass and has started another, suddenly he says "damn" or a similar word, turns to the camera and says " I moved the wrong lever,that's a hundred pounds(آ£) of bronze shaft ruined"

I would think most of us have been there at some time. I know I have, especially starting the traverse instead of faceing.

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 07-14-2004).]

Comment

Yeah, me in a checkered shirt showing the world how to dial in a 4 jaw chuck. I doze off just thinking about it..z-z-z-z

I can't imagine any machine shop projects whose construction will fit in a one hour format. Maybe some how-to stuff, skill building and that, field trips.

When you consider there's about 40 home woodworkers for every home shop machinist there really isn't a demand. I once worked up this as a preliminary study and the best guess was a viewership of 8,000 to 12,000 if on prime PBS time Sunday afternoon. Not enough draw as they say.

Come to think of it, is there any interest in CD's on basic machine shop operations? 4 jaw chucks for example. Precision scraping (maybe license Rich Kings' videos). Precision layout. Measuring? How much would you be willing to pay for two hours of my (or someone's) blabbing?

Hmmm - this has possibilities. A boy-girl format. Who would I pick for the girl? No contest: Glenn Close. Smart as a whip and very sexy. And It would take long coaching session and rehearsals so she could get her part just right. Pant! Drool!

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 07-14-2004).]

Comment

Forrest: a good looking sidekick like the tool lady on Home Improvement is a great idea.

I don't mind my wife watching HGTV--she does her projects on her own and with her own money and it keeps her from following me around to see what I am doing. If she wanted me to sit on the couch with her watching chick flicks and holding her hand while she cried--I'd have to rent a big truck and move. She still weighs less than on the day I married her 30 years ago--she is looking better with age than I am!

Norm on the New Yankee Workshop has a half hour show, but it takes him a couple days in reality to build the actual chair or whatever.

I would love to see factory tours like the picture one of the SIEG factory or the one of the Russian motorcycle girl with her chernobyl tour.

There are so many @#%tty cable channels, there is no way that this couldn't get more viewers than some of those.

Comment

I've bought a couple of Jose's videos and enjoyed watching them. I'm looking at getting some of the one's showing Rudy K.

It's no harder to produce a DVD then a video nowadays and cheap to have a few hundred copies made. How great would it be to pop in a DVD of Rudy building the 5-cyl engine that has been running in HSM.

I'd buy video of layout work, drill grinding/sharpening (how often has that question been asked), cutter grinding, use of the quorn, BUILDING the QUORN!, crankshaft turning, ecentrics, shapers, CNC (I just like watching them run), FACTORY TOURS, the list of possible things goes on and on.
                            Make DVD's covering "newbie" questions. basic operations, dozens of projects.

If there's not enough audience for a whole channel there must be enough for a couple hours a week showing actual work - like New Yankee Workshop style not another OCC/HotRod. Those shows are geared toward watchers not builders.

Comment

Alright...my 2 cents!

I think the key is to grab someone's attention in the firs five minutes. If you could combine, How it is made, Junkyard wars (the early versions), The talent from Monter Garage and Overhaulin' i think things would be way up there.

It would not have to be steam engines only or car only but rather a pot pourri of anything. Maybe have 3 people work on 3 diferent projects but at the end of the show you see them get together and talk about their problems. The next week you see them apply someoness solution with a positive or negative result.

I brought a video of 4 hours of how it is made up to my parents over christmas. Everyone watched it and was amazed. However they have never put the tape back in. When i mention the things they saw they say "yeah that was neat."

hmm maybe they were just being nice....ahaha

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X