Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use and leave coolant in their machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use and leave coolant in their machines?

I have been smelling a nasty smell the last month or so in the shop. It smelled like a dead animal..well a smaller one like a mouse. Lol!
    I figured the coolant was bad in the surface grinder.i put a respirator on and have at it. GROSS!
    I cleaned it all out and wiped the tank clean..I then take a peak at the larger lathe. GROSS! Lol.same scum and nasty stuff. Get it cleaned out.still have a mill and drill press to do tomorrow.
    Can someone recommend a coolant.I believe I had cimcool but don't have the jug anymore. I do want coolant in machines because I do heavier machining and need the coolant.there are so many different kinds my head is spinning.rather have a recommendation .thanks.jim

Try mineral spirits for coolant on the surface grinder.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

I've had good luck with the Zebra odor control tablets in water-based coolant tanks.

Walt

Comment

I use Wallover WS 7450HP coolant and Wallover #2 way lube. It's important to use both together because the sulfur in other way lubes makes the coolant go bad. I use the same coolant & way lube in 2 CNC mills, manual lathe, cutoff bandsaw and surface grinder. It works great for all of them. There is never a bad smell to deal with. All you do is make sure to keep the right concentration of coolant and water. Add whichever one is needed. On the mills I run an oil skimmer, don't need that on the other machines.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          Try mineral spirits for coolant on the surface grinder.

--Doozer
          On a machine that makes sparks?

Comment

^^^^^ wondering too...

Comment

That scum on top of the coolant is
              bacteria. Nasty $hit. I work at Allison
              Transmission and they have coolant
              dams under almost every machine
              made from angle. They put that down
              with some type if sealer to keep the
              dams from leaking out all over the
              floor. Anyway as the machines leaked
              out it would build up over time until
              the housekeepers/machine support
              were told to suck it out. As it sits there
              bacteria would continue to grow on it
              with the old coolant. They are now
              using bondrite I believe to help alleviate
              the bacteria growth and build up, but
              it's also a cancer causing agent so that
              is something you need to be aware of.

Comment

We use Coolant King water soluble at work and have for years,never had any real problems with mold or bacteria.We just add a little Pine Sol to it from time to time.

http://synlube-mi.com/products/soluble-oil/coolant-king
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

In the lab, in particular the oil lab and bacteriology they had the great pleasure of doing the coolant analysis, there was some mean nasty bugs living in the coolant if the machine or line was down for a while, things like polio, happily living in sumps, eugh
                  The slime I'm told is a biofilm that the bugs make to protect themselves from whatever, we had all sorts of circulation pumps hairy rope skimmers, agitators and such to stop the bugs getting a hold, I've seen rancid coolant strip the paint off the machine, when I tested the ph it was very acidic, and a nice stink of hydrogen sulphide coming out of others, breathing aerosols of coolant can cause very nasty lung infections like pneumonia.
                  The bugs even lived in straight oil cooled machines, then took it upon themselves to dismantle the oil to the point it won't work properly,
                  Legionella was a common one too I remember
                  I don't use coolant anymore!
                  Mark

Comment

OP, I 100% agree with you on the advantages of coolant. There are different types of bacterial with different ways to fight them. Keeping the coolant moving (bubbler). UV light and a skimmer to take the tramp oil off. As this is a lot to have on each machine, as well as pump and return filter, i've always like the idea of a central coolant "server". does all the treatment and sends coolant to each machine. I built a Mk I learned a lot and Mk II is almost off the drawing board.

it has a lot of advantages but takes some effort to have at each machine with a long life, in my experience.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I keep mobilmet omicron in my bandsaw. Its an oil, no H2O, no smell. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        OP, I 100% agree with you on the advantages of coolant. There are different types of bacterial with different ways to fight them. Keeping the coolant moving (bubbler). UV light and a skimmer to take the tramp oil off. As this is a lot to have on each machine, as well as pump and return filter, i've always like the idea of a central coolant "server". does all the treatment and sends coolant to each machine. I built a Mk I learned a lot and Mk II is almost off the drawing board
                        it has a lot of advantages but takes some effort to have at each machine with a long life, in my experience.
                        It is a must for me. Machines have it and I need it to be productive and help tooling last.
                        I bought a gallon of Pinesol and filled tanks up with water and that and let pumps run for an hr or so. I think I got it now.Now I need to find a coolant to put in. I really haven't had a lot of bad smells but this time it was rank.
                        I travel for my job and am gone months at a time so it's gonna go bad. Nothing I can do is going to change that. I would like a recommendation on a good general purpose coolant before I throw a dart and pick one. Not a big deal but was going to get a 5 gal. container .Maybe just buy 1 gal and try something new. Prob. Stay with synthetic stuff.Thanks guys..

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
                          It is a must for me. Machines have it and I need it to be productive and help tooling last.
                          I bought a gallon of Pinesol and filled tanks up with water and that and let pumps run for an hr or so. I think I got it now.Now I need to find a coolant to put in. I really haven't had a lot of bad smells but this time it was rank.
                          I travel for my job and am gone months at a time so it's gonna go bad. Nothing I can do is going to change that. I would like a recommendation on a good general purpose coolant before I throw a dart and pick one. Not a big deal but was going to get a 5 gal. container .Maybe just buy 1 gal and try something new. Prob. Stay with synthetic stuff.Thanks guys..
                          If you do a youtube search on NYCCNC's page, he has a video about a new coolant he switched to, apparently the same stuff that Google, and other big companies are using now.. Supposed to not go bad, not destroy your paint, not cause rust, and apparently also avoid microbe problems. Forget what its called, other than it was expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
                            Prob. Stay with synthetic stuff.
                            There is a thread on PM where several people mention that the synthetic coolants do more damage to the machine. Can't remember if it was rust, paint stripping, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                              There is a thread on PM where several people mention that the synthetic coolants do more damage to the machine. Can't remember if it was rust, paint stripping, or both.
                              I was using semi synthetic ..no problems except for the stink but it hasn't been cleaned out in 5 years.😳

Comment

Working...
                              X