Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use and leave coolant in their machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is semi synthetic. It's been in there for years. No smell, no paint peeling, no bacteria or anything else. If it's getting way lube in it (most mills or lathes will) just use a skimmer to get the oil out. No other maintenance besides balancing the mix once in a while.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Thanks tool guy.i would give your brand a try but I just bought a 5 gal of way oil.i guess I just get a gal of something and give it a shot.

Comment

Coolant & Bacteria

As a previous mold shop owner, I can attest there is always bacteria. We had (12) surface grinders up to 16"x32", not counting 6x12's or cnc machines. After many months of being reactive (additives, equipment bleach washdowns, etc.) and battling those criters, we finally got a handle on it and went to a preventative program. We wound up with checking bacteria levels on a regular basis using a product called BugCheck BF from a company called Avalon International. When the level of bacteria started to increase, we added a product from Avalon called Sump Soda to kill off the criters.
        Oh yes, dumping old/bad coolant was not an option due to local government started to do sampling of sewers outside of plant. Watch out for this guys!

Comment

I know not everyone can get by with just a mist type system but it's another reason i run one, total loss system and the feed jug last me for years of intermittent use and it does not "go bad"

Comment

Originally posted by WayneC View Post
            As a previous mold shop owner, I can attest there is always bacteria. We had (12) surface grinders up to 16"x32", not counting 6x12's or cnc machines. After many months of being reactive (additives, equipment bleach washdowns, etc.) and battling those criters, we finally got a handle on it and went to a preventative program. We wound up with checking bacteria levels on a regular basis using a product called BugCheck BF from a company called Avalon International. When the level of bacteria started to increase, we added a product from Avalon called Sump Soda to kill off the criters.
            Oh yes, dumping old/bad coolant was not an option due to local government started to do sampling of sewers outside of plant. Watch out for this guys!
            Play on words bacteria in a mold shop

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
            Ed
            Agua Dulce, So.California
            1950 F1 street rod
            1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
            1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
            1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
            1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Originally posted by WayneC View Post
              It is never an option, as the coolant doesn't belong there. The proper place for it is a waste recycling/handling company.

As to the topic, make sure that your wayoil and the coolant are compatible, we had some serious smells-like-dead-here symptoms after just two weeks of machine downtime and black looking coolant coming for a few seconds from the pumps. It all stopped once we changed our coolant to something that is compatible with the wayoil. Can't remember it from the top of my head, but we get them both from the same location.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I use trim micro-sol 585xt, so far the biggest problem I've had is keeping the concentration correct. You aren't supposed to just add water to adjust back down to compensate for evaporation. I use it everywhere, mills, lathes, and grinders without a problem. Even with the tramp oil that gets in it it doesn't seem to be a problem. The only caveat is I've only been using it for a year, so time will tell.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic
                -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

Comment

I've seen a number of places use aquarium air pumps to help control smell/bacteria. Skimmers are always a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X