OT: New Use For Shop Staple, Hand Cleaner Stops Itch Of Mosquito Bites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: New Use For Shop Staple, Hand Cleaner Stops Itch Of Mosquito Bites

I don't know if this is a known thing or not. A brief search of the internet did not yield any results on it but it is an awful big internet.

It has been raining here lately and we seem to have a fresh crop of mosquitoes. Of course some have made their way into the shop and even the house. So I got a couple of bites on my hand and arm while working on a project tonight. I persevered and finished the work but the bites continued to itch. While I was cleaning my hands I used some of the lanolin hand cleaner similar to GoJo, but another brand. I noticed that the itching on my hand stopped almost instantly. So I put some on the bite on my arm and it also stopped itching almost instantly. It has been at least an hour and the itching has not come back. And the swelling seems to have gone down too. The skin looks completely normal there.

I know this is not exactly scientific proof, but next time I get a mosquito bite I sure will be reaching for the hand cleaner. I will try the GoJo brand next time just to see if it is the same.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Called out GoJo twice but never named the stuff that actually worked in your case...What was the product you used please?
    Joe

Comment

was probably wife's smelly body lotion coped from the house

Shouldn't had it in the shop in the first place
      George from Conyers Ga.
      Remember
      The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        While I was cleaning my hands I used some of the lanolin hand cleaner similar to GoJo, but another brand. I noticed that the itching on my hand stopped almost instantly.
        It's the lanolin. Lanolin creams have long been used as a treatment for minor skin irritations including dry or chapped skin, eczema, superficial burns, etc. Below is one of the first hits if you google "lanolin mosquito bites":

http://www.thedermreview.com/lanolin-cream/

My personal favorite for bug bites remains calamine lotion. Going around with pink splotchy blotches on the arms isn't ideal but it sure works...

Comment

Looks like you are onto something Paul, let us know if the relief is permanent or not.

When I get bit by mosquitos I usually scratch on and off for three to four days, I hate the little buggers.
          I've dealt with them all my life trying only various topical treatments with very limited success.

However a week ago after having visited a neighbor who's yard is infested with mosquitos I came home once again covered with bites. After having scratched myself to sleep and waking up early the next day from all of the bites I though to myself that there must be a better solution.
          Thinking to myself that the symptoms of the bites are just an allergic reaction, and also remembering how my niece recovered from her highly allergic reaction to a yellow jacket sting after taking a Benadryl, I looked in the medicine cabinet and took one Reactine.

Went back to sleep and that was it, no swelling or itching the rest of the week! Not sure if I've found the cure and not sure how other people will respond to the use of an antihistamine for the relief from mosquito bites, but I do know what I'll be taking the next time after I get bit.

Although I had not looked it up until just now, it looks like I'm not the only one to find relief by using an antihistamine.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2011/...es-for-relief/
          Last edited by Willy; 07-26-2016, 10:21 AM. Reason: crs
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
            Looks like you are onto something Paul, let us know if the relief is permanent or not.

When I get bit by mosquitos I usually scratch on and off for three to four days, I hate the little buggers.
            I've dealt with them all my life trying only various topical treatments with very limited success.

However a week ago after having visited a neighbor who's yard is infested with mosquitos I came home once again covered with bites. After having scratched myself to sleep and waking up early the next day from all of the bites I though to myself that there must be a better solution.
            Thinking to myself that the symptoms of the bites are just an allergic reaction, and also remembering how my niece recovered from her highly allergic reaction to a yellow jacket sting after taking a Benadryl, I looked in the medicine cabinet and took one Reactine.

Went back to sleep and that was it, no swelling or itching the rest of the week! Not sure if I've found the cure and not sure how other people will respond to the use of an antihistamine for the relief from mosquito bites, but I do know what I'll be taking the next time after I get bit.

Although I had not looked it up until just now, it looks like I'm not the only one to find relief by using an antihistamine.

http://www.washington.edu/news/2011/...es-for-relief/
            Antihistamines are banned for folks with high blood pressure, and/or prostate trouble. Tell the wife you need some of her Avon "Skin So Soft bath oil". Rub a few drops on bare skin before going into bug territory and they will leave you alone. If you doubt the truth in this, ask a military buddy that's seen jungle duty.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Iv used salt and it seems to work --- just wet the area and salt it with a salt shaker --- I don't know if your supposed to do this part but I grind it into the bite and kinda scratch the itch one last time with the salt that way - feels so good can't resist - then it stings - then the sting goes away - then the itch is pretty much gone or you at least don't want to itch it cuz it's more sore than itchy and you forget about it then.

Comment

There is a Benedryl Gel for topical use to stop itching and it worked for me after the usual 1% cortisone cream failed completely. It also reduced the swelling and redness of insect bites 90% overnight. Got it at CVS.

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                  Antihistamines are banned for folks with high blood pressure, and/or prostate trouble. Tell the wife you need some of her Avon "Skin So Soft bath oil". Rub a few drops on bare skin before going into bug territory and they will leave you alone. If you doubt the truth in this, ask a military buddy that's seen jungle duty.
                  Yes, so true, as in taking any medication it's always prudent to be aware of any medical conditions prior to taking them. Good advice.

The Avon Skin-So-Soft only works a bit with me to ward off the little critters. I also find it hard to administer to all the places a mosquito will bite me without stripping down and lathering up the whole bod.

The Reactine is my morning after pill.
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

The brand name is Goop. They label it as a "MULTI-PURPOSE" "HAND CLEANER". It has been around for several years and I can't remember where I bought it. Probably from an auto parts store.

It seems I was wrong about the lanolin. I read the list of ingredients this morning and it is not listed there. I compared the ingredients to the GoJo brand and there appears to be little similarity. But then, I am the one who didn't want to study chemistry due to all the complicated names. GoJo does not list lanolin either.

Willy, the relief appears to be complete and permanent. It was also almost instantaneous. I simply used it on my hands in the normal manner, rinsing it off less than a minute after applying it. The itch was completely gone. When I applied it on my arm bite, it was only on it for 10 or 15 seconds. And the itch was completely gone. And as I said, the skin has returned to normal, I can't even see where the bites were and that was from about an hour after applying the Goop cleaner.

Originally posted by Joe Rogers View Post
                    Called out GoJo twice but never named the stuff that actually worked in your case...What was the product you used please?
                    Joe
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Mosquitos have never bothered me. Even when I've seen one biting me it never causes any reaction or itch.

But my "go to" remedy for yellow jacket/wasp/etc. stings is Adolph's meat tenderizer. It works like magic. Mix a pinch with a drop or two of water and apply directly to the sting site. ...almost immediate, lasting relief.

Don't know about mosquito bites, but I'd think it would work for that as well.

Comment

Wonder if it also works as a cutting and tapping fluid?

Comment

When Texas cowboys get chapped lips, he smears them with a little horse poop. Doesn't help much but keeps from licking them.

Comment

I find any soap helps with itching really. I think the pumice might have something to do with it, as well as the lanolin.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Goop is good stuff. I've been using it for 40+years. http://goophandcleaner.com/wp-conten...Factory_p2.pdf
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                              X