sloppy BXA tool holders from CDCO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloppy BXA tool holders from CDCO?

With the demise of Enco, I thought I'd try some other tooling suppliers recently. I ordered several BXA tool holders from CDCO Machinery for a "good" price, they showed up on time, so far so good.

The problem is the dovetail in the tool holders is way too large for my Phase II BXA tool post. Not just by a few thousandths, but ~1/4" too large; maybe they were cut for CXA dovetails? The part numbers stamped on the tool holders are the same as what I already have, something like 201-100 IIRC, so they are supposed to be the correct part, but were machined wrong.

Anyone else encountered this? Is there something I'm missing maybe? I have not received a response from CDCO about it yet.

About half my toolholders are from CDCO, purchased at different times. Quality seems to vary from one lot to the next, but all have been usable. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

Comment

I have some BXA's from them. Perhaps, not as uniform as others, but okay. I had a 5c collet from them which was junk. About 2 days later I had a refund, and an email telling me to keep the junk one, and if I wanted to reorder, they had checked stock, and had some that were good. Since I had already paid the freight for the first one, I wasn't going to pay for freight again. I wasn't about to pay freight for countless collets, and do their quality control on my dime.

Hopefully, the holders you got were miss marked. Hopefully they will also replace your order with correct holders, and you won't have to pay freight again!

Comment

If they are to sloppy i would send them back. Don't try to call them they are not to good in English. I ordered one about 3 month ago it was fine. I think the holders and posts are made at diverant times and they pack them as orders come in

Comment

I bought about 15 from them and they were all great. But then again, prolly from the same batch.. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I have a few BXA-size from CDCO. All fit well on both real Aloris and Phase II wedge posts. In fact, my poorest fitting block out of a pile is a genuine Aloris. It's too loose, but useable.

Comment

The ones I got a few years ago were too tight, wouldn't slip over the post. Took them to the belt grinder and now they work good.
              I have heard of poor quality set screws, mine seem to be very good.

Comment

I picked up maybe half a dozen BXA holders few years back. I found them to work well enough once the total junk set-screws were replaced with ones not made out of butter.
                Last edited by Ryobiguy; 07-27-2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I have had good luck with Phase II. Sounds like you got CXA size. I have a bunch of Aloris & they interchange perfectly.
                  Last edited by flylo; 07-27-2016, 04:35 AM.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

I've found variances on my Aloris BXA tool holders that were bought several years after I bought my tool post. The dovetails are big by a couple thou. and the end result is the position where the handle ends up when locked down. I hate it when the handle hits me in the ribs. With my originals the handle stops at about the 4 o-clock position. With some of the newer ones it stops around 5 o-clock to 5:30 position. A couple though makes a big difference.

JL............

Comment

I can't believe how quality control has fallen so low & people just fix it & go on. I guess no other choice.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
                        If they are to sloppy i would send them back. Don't try to call them they are not to good in English. I ordered one about 3 month ago it was fine. I think the holders and posts are made at diverant times and they pack them as orders come in
                        I want to send them back but they haven't responded to me. Calling was going to be my next step, today.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                          I want to send them back but they haven't responded to me. Calling was going to be my next step, today.
                          -If the blocks are indeed a quarter inch too wide at the dovetail, for a BXA, they may very well be mislabelled CXA blocks, as noted earlier. I have a CXA post, and if we could compare numbers to verify that, I'd take 'em off your hands.

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                            -If the blocks are indeed a quarter inch too wide at the dovetail, for a BXA, they may very well be mislabelled CXA blocks, as noted earlier. I have a CXA post, and if we could compare numbers to verify that, I'd take 'em off your hands.

Doc.
                            Shars has a nice writeup at http://www.shars.com/quick-change-to...e-type-111-axa that shows dovetail dimensions towards the bottom. A CXA looks just like a BXA but will have a dovetail that's a little wider.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                              Shars has a nice writeup at http://www.shars.com/quick-change-to...e-type-111-axa that shows dovetail dimensions towards the bottom. A CXA looks just like a BXA but will have a dovetail that's a little wider.

Dan
                              Thanks. Sounds like that's what I've got then, just mis-labeled CXA blocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X