What kind of collet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of collet

Someone gave this set up and I am wondering about getting more collets for it.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

http://www.johndyerco/Dad/collet1.jpg
    Last edited by davidwdyer; 07-27-2016, 09:24 PM.
    Vitَria, Brazil

I can't see your picture

Randy
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Try now.
      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Looks like a variety of ER, or one of those collets used in German woodworking machinery, I forget the name.....
        Last edited by J Tiers; 07-27-2016, 09:16 PM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm have a problem posting a picture. Will try later.
          Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Looks like an ER-25. But not really sure of the size, nothing in the photo to give it scale/size.

Mike

Comment

Just remove the .jpg and it works.
              the actual collet looks like an ER but never saw a holder like that.
              ...lew...

Comment

Nope !
                nothing works
                Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                  Nope !
                  nothing works
                  I simply told Firefox to open the link, after highlighting it without the ".jpg" part. Went right to it.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

"Page cannot be found"

I tried it without the jpg with both the period and without. No joy.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

works for me with the latest Firefox on MacOSX...and I'm running several privacy blockers, which occasionally prevent some sites from working properly...the picture shows up for me, just by clicking on the link, no editing of the URL needed.

Comment

http://www.johndyerco.com/Dad/collet1.jpg
                        Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        HomeShopTech

Comment

That did the trick. Thanks Frank.

It's clearly an ER collet of course. The holder and clamping ring looks rather crusty with corrosion if it's not just grunge that needs to be cleaned away.

The size of ER is the question. Here's a link to a page I got from a search for "er collet sizes". It shows a drawing with a table of dimensions to allow you to measure the existing collet to determine what the ER size is for your collet and holder. The drawing and table is about half way down the page in the item description.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/er32-...522472283.html
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not an ER collet. The ER collets have the retainer groove located about where the two angles come together. I used similar collets on an old Bridgeport CNC many moons ago. Can't remember what they were called but I know we did replace a few.

Here is an ER collet next to one without the retaining groove. In this case, the collet on the left was called a type E.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1797628

BTW, tried something different with the photo. Let me know if it doesn't come through.
                            George
                            Traverse City, MI

Comment

Nutz, you're right George. No groove so not an ER. My eyes made assumptions on me.

To try to save myself I've looked around a bit on the web and it appears that the ER collets are a development on the E style. But I can't find anything more on the "E" style to confirm if the angles are the same or not. But if they are the cheap and easy fix would be to use ER collets in this holder. And in fact searches for much on the "E" style collets does not seem to be turning up any sort of current suppliers of this older style.

Given that the "improved" ER series became a DIN standard back in the early 1970's it suggests that the E style collets will need to be found by luck in some second hand tool store or being sold by someone that holds onto everything.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X