Leave a comment:

• davidwdyer
    replied
    Ahaa! That was the problem. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• chucketn
    replied
    Originally posted by davidwdyer View Post
    Someone gave this set up and I am wondering about getting more collets for it.

Anyone have any idea what it is?

http://www.johndyerco/Dad/collet1.jpg
    Your link is missing the .com. Sorry can't help on the type...

Chuck

Leave a comment:

• davidwdyer
    replied
    Georgineer,

I would love to have them if they would work. The only collet I have is the one in the picture.

It might be complicated to get them, but my daughter lives in Newcastle and she could bring them to me later.

David

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    You can use an ER or E collet with an E nut but not the other way round.
    Only problem is the E's stick in the taper and need a whack to get out, hence the groove that was added later by Regifix

Leave a comment:

• Georgineer
    replied
    It looks very much like some collets I picked up a while ago. They are by Schaublin, described as "Type ES-32", and are identical to the ER-32 equivalents except the absence of the extractor groove. I was unable to find out any more about them. I considered grinding the groove into them, but in the end I turned the extractor flange out of an ER-32 closing nut and use them in an ER-32 chuck. They can be extracted with a 'bopper' through the spindle bore.

I have some duplicates if anybody wants them, unused and still in their original boxes and keeping grease.

George

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    NICE FIND!

I don't see the E type collet listed. But the Double Taper might be an option. If it is a DT style then the ER won't work. Different angles.

Leave a comment:

• Oldguy
    replied
    Here's a link to a page that has specs for all types of collets:

Try the double taper first and see if that matches. If not you'll just have to check each type.

Glenn

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    That chart I provided the link for also has ALL the dimensions for the ER collets. Measuring and checking should quickly spot the size as well as indicate if an ER style would be compatible.

I'm also wondering if a new ER "nut" would make the tapered socket compatible with the ER collets?

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    Maybe you could buy or borrow one ER collet to see how it fits.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Nutz, you're right George. No groove so not an ER. My eyes made assumptions on me.

To try to save myself I've looked around a bit on the web and it appears that the ER collets are a development on the E style. But I can't find anything more on the "E" style to confirm if the angles are the same or not. But if they are the cheap and easy fix would be to use ER collets in this holder. And in fact searches for much on the "E" style collets does not seem to be turning up any sort of current suppliers of this older style.

Given that the "improved" ER series became a DIN standard back in the early 1970's it suggests that the E style collets will need to be found by luck in some second hand tool store or being sold by someone that holds onto everything.

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    I'm pretty sure it's not an ER collet. The ER collets have the retainer groove located about where the two angles come together. I used similar collets on an old Bridgeport CNC many moons ago. Can't remember what they were called but I know we did replace a few.

Here is an ER collet next to one without the retaining groove. In this case, the collet on the left was called a type E.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	t.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1797628

BTW, tried something different with the photo. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    That did the trick. Thanks Frank.

It's clearly an ER collet of course. The holder and clamping ring looks rather crusty with corrosion if it's not just grunge that needs to be cleaned away.

The size of ER is the question. Here's a link to a page I got from a search for "er collet sizes". It shows a drawing with a table of dimensions to allow you to measure the existing collet to determine what the ER size is for your collet and holder. The drawing and table is about half way down the page in the item description.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Ford
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    works for me with the latest Firefox on MacOSX...and I'm running several privacy blockers, which occasionally prevent some sites from working properly...the picture shows up for me, just by clicking on the link, no editing of the URL needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X