Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction accross the street.. bought something on impulse and dont know what I have...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction accross the street.. bought something on impulse and dont know what I have...

Ok, its a hydraulic press, I know that..but specs etc I know nothing. But I always wanted a nice press and got suckered by the moment. $300.00

Here is the pump info: Pump is 3000psi
    http://www.eatonpowersource.com/prod...ils/02-341576/

Cannot find info about the cylinder, but it appears to be a Hydro-line 6" bore with a 2" stroke (bit of a yikes)
    Motor is a 5hp motor

Pics below.

Upon some Googling.. I get 42.50 ton....
    Last edited by cuemaker; 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

dude, thats like 400 dollarettes....you are shootin from the hip big time!

not knowing exactly its intended use, and there may be contrary opinions, but my first take is not positive for a general press.

You can figure out the tonnage by cylinder diameter and the pressure of the pump. Based on how the cylinder is mounted I don't think it is that high - its cantilevered out in front. Its also 3 phase, matters to some. Lastly, the work envelope seems a quite small. I'd put odds on that it was used for some sort molding or maybe even testing, something production specific. your googling didn't find anything?

sorry for being negative, maybe you'll find a use for it, but it doesn't look like much of a general press imo. I guess if it was across the street you had to buy something
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Its custom built, i was told it was used to straighten bent heat treated rod..

And the 2" work envolop is small

My justification for bidding at the time was that the pump and motor would cover my spend.

As for the rest of your (persumably) wise words.. I have not the experiance to contradict you..

Comment

It is what it is. A nice little 40 ton press.

I would have bought it in a heart beast for that price.

Comment

6" diameter is (pi x r ^2) 28.26 square inches. Times 3000 psi, if you go that high, is 84,780 lbs pressure. So a touch over 40 tons for the ram. The rest of the thing would depend on what it's built like.

As you say the parts are easily worth that much even if you break it down to sell or to set up to suit your own needs.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The hydraulic power pack is worth what you spent, provided it is low wear and in reasonable condition. That PV010 pump is a really nice piston pump.
              www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

yup parts are well worth it.

Comment

That looks close to what a local industrial hardware store had when the made up hydraulic hoses.
                  They had a huge assortment of dies for the different sizes and styles of fittings.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                    dude, thats like 400 dollarettes....you are shootin from the hip big time!

not knowing exactly its intended use, and there may be contrary opinions, but my first take is not positive for a general press.

You can figure out the tonnage by cylinder diameter and the pressure of the pump. Based on how the cylinder is mounted I don't think it is that high - its cantilevered out in front. Its also 3 phase, matters to some. Lastly, the work envelope seems a quite small. I'd put odds on that it was used for some sort molding or maybe even testing, something production specific. your googling didn't find anything?

sorry for being negative, maybe you'll find a use for it, but it doesn't look like much of a general press imo. I guess if it was across the street you had to buy something
                    Yeah, but look at that brace on the top, If those welds are good it ain't going anywhere

Comment

I would pay $300 bucks just to crush stuff with it....Awesome!!!!
                      www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

maybe time to compete against this dude?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcM...6_1Hwi5-MeiQgw
                        www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
                          Yeah, but look at that brace on the top, If those welds are good it ain't going anywhere
                          maybe. You could be right, I was just thinking those bolts in single shear looked a lot less robust that big pins in double share are in a 50 ton hydraulic press. The days of dragging home big heavy iron because there might some good parts in it are in the rear view mirror for me, but its all for fun so if it floats your boat congrats
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

You got a bargain, the power pack I'd guess at a couple of grand, looks like a crimper pack for Ali window corners, it's never been near hot work, not a fragment of scale there.
                            As for stroke, the tank would probably drive a 2 foot cylynder, I'd leave it alone apart from wheels you have a good ironworker type thing there, I'd bet you could fit standard punches and dies in there. shove a couple of quick release couplings on the flow and return and knock up a bigger portal frame or wide frame press with a longer stroke if you need one I don't ever recall having to push much more than an inch on a press myself, moving the table is not a problem.
                            Excavator cylinders are easily come by used and cheap.
                            Bear in mind that if you do make a bigger frame 40 odd tons is a hell of a squeeze!
                            Last hydraulic valve I bought was more than you paid, second hand.
                            Change the oil filter btw!, valve will last longer for it, don't ask!
                            Good score
                            You suck or squeeze as cars may be
                            Mark

Comment

Not here, I have half a dozen power packs that size & bigger, none over $100, motor is $50 tops, ram is too short. I'd rebuild it with a longer ram but I saw a 50 ton long ram go for $130 last week. Not being negitive just what's going on here. Maybe Ohio is doing better.

Comment

Working...
                              X