gravity feed lube tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gravity feed lube tube

During a usual tour of thrift shops, etc, I found a coolant overflow tank. Another place I went I found some super-flexible air line tubing. Light goes off, now I have a gravity feed cutting fluid dispenser system.

Very simple project, no pics- I mounted the tank so the bottom of it is about a foot above the average table height on my two drill presses. The tank might normally be on the wall, but in this case it's on the front of the drill bit case that sits between the presses on the wall. It doesn't interfere with getting into the case, so it was just a logical location.

I managed to get a ring, a short section of steel pipe, pressed onto the end of the airline tubing. I had some brass tubing that would fit nicely, so I turned up a nozzle to fit and with the smallest drill bit I have (or can still see anyway) I drilled it out. Turns out the hole was way to large, so I kind of hammered in the pointy end until the hole was almost closed. With the gravity feed with about the one foot of head I get a decent droplet fairly quickly without a gusher, and all I do is place a droplet where I want it on the workpiece and/or the cutting tool, then pick up the nozzle quickly and touch it to a magnet on the head- up where the tip is then above the level of fluid in the tank. A side effect here is that with the nozzle any much above the fluid level, the top section of the tubing goes dry. It takes a few secs for it to reach the tip again when you go to use it.

The metal ring is there for the magnet, and it lets you stick the nozzle to a location quickly and easily, independent of the twisting effect of the tubing. Works pretty slick. I have magnets in two locations on each drill press.

It works nicely. When you want a puddle of lube or wetting of a cutter, pull the nozzle down and point it at the spot. Put it back on the magnet when the desired amount is released. No oilcan laying around to knock off the table or have to pick up and put down each time- or remember where it is.

Ok, pretty simple. Tank, hose, dispenser nozzle, some super magnets. There's no shutoff or regulator valve, though what I'd like to do is have a pressure-sensitive tip that stops the flow when there's no pressure on it. This is what I want to come up with next, as pretty much the final part for this little project.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I've often thought of doing the same thing only I would add a petcock to the line and use one of those cheap paste brushes used for applying soldering acid as an applicator. I'd cut the paste brush down to a shorter length and apply the bristles high on the flutes of the drill and let gravity do the rest.

Comment

Nicely done on a worthy addition to the shop.

Here is a thought for a future revision, or to others open to an alternate to gravity feed.

The primer bulb provided to assist cold starts on small engines could be adapted to serve as a pump for a fluid dispenser system. The advantage here being that the nozzle can be positioned for the duration of the task and fluid dispensed in somewhat measured quantities as required with quick daubs of the primer bulb.

Comment

Eddie "Thread Killer" daGrouch (YouTube channel)
        Smithy CB-1220 (Clark CL500M)

Sometimes ya gotta re-invent the wheel to learn how to make wheels.

Comment

Eddie, there's two things missing from that dispenser- grease and fat. With those you'd then have the three major food groups- grease, fat, and lard ):

I had a large number of holes to drill for a project, so that's why this simple solution came about in the last few days. Got all the holes drilled now, with cutting fluid on everything- the table, the parts, the floor, my shirt- but all is well. As I suspected the gravity feed without any control left a lot of fluid running down the hose, etc. Not like I lost a lot of it, but it was messy. Of course as I'm working I'm thinking of a better way to apply the fluid, since both hands are usually in use when some actual drilling is going on. The gravity feed is fine, but I need a foot operated valve on this thing, plus a mount to enable the dispenser nozzle to be held such that it can dispense directly to the side of the drill bit, no hands required. From there it can drip into the pilot hole too.

Perhaps the valve could be 12v operated and run from the same power supply as the led lights. This might just be my chance to try out the helical solenoid idea.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

i have this oiling system on the "new" drill press. its currently lacking the reservoir, but i intend to change that shortly.

Comment

I like that one on the handle. Reminds me of the old manual chainsaw oilers.

Comment

Working...
              X