Shaper Frenzy Continuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper Frenzy Continuation

I was looking for shaper tooling and ran across this on C.L. in Seattle.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/for/5714733221.html

I'm not associated in anyway shape or form with this person, machine or listing. I just thought I would bring this to the attention of anyone on HSM that might be looking for a large shaper.

Ron

Take a long time to get a grand worth of work out of that thing. Especially when you have to move it first.

That "very little use" seems to have included being set outside to "age" for a while.... if it's supposed to be oily and shiny, on THAT machine it's dry and rusty.

At today's scrap prices for ferrous material, it's about what, 25 bucks? 35 bucks?

Last load I took, they didn't even WANT any iron, I GAVE it to them so as not to haul it back. They bought the copper and brass.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 08-05-2016, 10:06 AM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

I guess I am a bit odd in that respect. Most of the tools, machines etc I buy, I classify as 'toys' because while I can and have made money with them, they are primarily something to 'play' with.
      And shapers are just plain fun to play with, watch and listen to

Comment

Well said Kendall,

J. Tiers most of those individuals that buy tools like shapers and such generally don't plan to make money with them although I'm certain some do. It's more of a romantic attraction to old iron, that's why I bought mine.

Also, you're a little off base with the comment about rust and shiny spots on machine tools. I've purchased several used and auctioned machines that had been setting outside and had rust on the machined surfaces and all have cleaned up very nicely. I don't like to see any machine tool setting out in the weather but that's just the way things happen and you make the best of it. Granted it's a lot of work cleaning them up and experience has taught me there is very little money if any to be made in refurbushing old iron, I do it because I like it.

And! $1000 bucks for a 24" shaper in what appears to be decent condition isn't too bad in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
          Well said Kendall,

J. Tiers most of those individuals that buy tools like shapers and such generally don't plan to make money with them although I'm certain some do. It's more of a romantic attraction to old iron, that's why I bought mine.

Also, you're a little off base with the comment about rust and shiny spots on machine tools. I've purchased several used and auctioned machines that had been setting outside and had rust on the machined surfaces and all have cleaned up very nicely. I don't like to see any machine tool setting out in the weather but that's just the way things happen and you make the best of it. Granted it's a lot of work cleaning them up and experience has taught me there is very little money if any to be made in refurbushing old iron, I do it because I like it.

And! $1000 bucks for a 24" shaper in what appears to be decent condition isn't too bad in my opinion.
          Getting a grand worth of work is NOT the same thing as making money with it. It's basically the bang for the buck.... you can have just as much fun with other shapers. I've got TWO of them, smaller, and paid about $150 a pop for them. I DID get my money's worth, but the first one was my only "mill"for several years.

Rust? Cleanup?

Yes, you CAN clean them up, and if ever a machine could tolerate some rust pitting in the ways, it's a shaper that can. Some of the rust looks scaly and pitting, but that can be deceiving, I agree.

The issue is not that the machine is scrap, but that the seller seems to be seriously delusional. What he has is a heavy, rusty machine that is going to have to be hauled, then very significantly disassembled, rust scraped and cleaned up from EVERY exposed surface, and then the whole thing reassembled, before it can be used.

What he wants is a lot of money for a machine that does not run now (or should not be run in present condition), needs a LOT of work, but which he is touting as "almost unused".

WHERE does this guy GET these ideas? He's just delusional, or is trying to get lowballed on price.

If I bought one of those NEW, did not use it ever, but left it in tidewater, or whatever happened to that one, it would no longer be in "new, unused" condition, despite actually being "new and unused". If that shaper simply had a heavy coating of solidified grease, maybe that would be quite different. But it does not look like it to me in the pics. You'd have to look at it in person to know.

Were that mine, and I was trying to sell it, AND I knew it was just grease on it. I would clean off a spot on several of the ways, and SHOW that the surface was new and barely used underneath the grease. Or I'd clean it up and show it in nice clean condition.

Presentation is everything, as the ebay freshly painted (over rust) machine sellers seem to know.

For a guy who wants a grand for it, he won't spend a half hour wiping off the brown grease? Then it's likely not just brown grease, and he knows it.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 08-05-2016, 12:48 PM.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            At today's scrap prices for ferrous material, it's about what, 25 bucks? 35 bucks?

Last load I took, they didn't even WANT any iron, I GAVE it to them so as not to haul it back. They bought the copper and brass.
            Heck, you ought to bring your stuff around to my dealer. Last time I loaded up I got $1.50 and that's a cup of coffee nowadays.

And I'd also like to see it recycled, even if it doesn't really pay, than to have it add to the landfill, already overstocked.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
            X