Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a little help welding a 120 year old gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help welding a 120 year old gear.

I am trying to fix a old machine for winding the cord onto a net making needle or shuttle. I just want to make it presentable for donating it to a maritime museum. One of the gears is broken, a 4.5 inch cast iron gear is broken.
    I think I can braze it after grinding out a little V in the breaks. I have found a hose clamp that will hold it all in place.]There are going to be 5 places to weld. After clamping it all together I had a hard time locating the breaks. My question is, would it help to preheat the gear before gas welding it. (a gas welder is all I have) and then slowly let it cool off.. What are some suggestions?
    Last edited by lugnut; 08-10-2016, 02:28 AM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

I guess I need more help. why did my photos show as linkds?

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
      I guess I need more help. why did my photos show as linkds?
      Yep, photos show up as links, but the links work fine for me, anyhow.

Comment

Your proposal matches the most common advice for the repair. Clean, V, braze. If you V it, the braze will show.

If it's just for show, you could even glue it since it will not be used as a gear.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Are you going to braze it or gas weld it.
          You are not clear.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
            If it's just for show, you could even glue it since it will not be used as a gear.

Dan
            If indeed this is just for show, this would be my suggestion.

If the museum actually wanted to use the machine, I wonder if you could find an iron caster willing to cast a gear for you and let them use the gear as a pattern? There seems to be a number of hobbyists who cast and a few who cast iron. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              Are you going to braze it or gas weld it.
              You are not clear.

-Doozer
              He is proposing to braze it, but is using terms rather loosely.

Brazing will show, but for a museum, that is not all bad. They are usually OK with, and even prefer, obvious repairs vs concealed ones. If for any reason the repair was wanted hidden, I suspect it could be covered with some sort of "grunge in lacquer" paint.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                If you wanted to hide the brazing, you could paint it with cast iron colored paint. I think Eastwood carries it.

As 'spindly' as it is, I would most definitely want it to cool off quite slowly and evenly.

Comment

Old CI parts like that usually have a lot of 'juice' in them. I've found that sandblasting the part to remove the visible junk, followed by heating to about 400*F in the oven to cook out the 'juice', the blast the joints to remove the cooked out juice
                  give a good surface for the braze. I've had excellent success as prep for both brass brazing and silver brazing, either of which
                  I would recommend for this little gear. The last gear I repaired by silver brazing was 16"dia.

No special pre-heat required with either process, just let the part cool in still air.

Pete
                  1973 SB 10K .
                  BenchMaster mill.

Comment

If the gear is to be used, can it be repaired, really? How round would it likely end up?

Comment

Dan, I have to make usable, I know sure as heck, someone will want to give that crank handle a turn . I have even gone to the trouble to make a needle/shuttle to show what the thing does.

Comment

For a museum piece

Silver braze (silfos) will be fine. Make up some thin preforms. Clean and flux all the bits, band the gear parts with a spring clamp and throw the works in the furnace.
                        Let cool wit the furnace door closed.

Comment

If it is going to be used or turned you might contact http://www.martinmodel.com/index.html and see if he could cast a new one from your pattern.

Comment

You can select just the .JPG, without the .HTML extension. Right click on the image, select "Copy Image", and then paste (Ctrl-V) into the forum:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                            P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                            and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Posts #9 & #12 would be my approach

Comment

Working...
                              X