Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Stevenson
    • Mar 2001

OK had a bit of time tonight but fast forward a bit as I was driving home afterwards I realised why this is a helical gear. The drive is take from the feed rod by a sliding worm that can select either sliding or surfacing feeds, so the helical is the angle of the worm, Duh !

First start pic, nothing different from the other day other than I have found a bronze ring that will fit.

One thing I have done is tapped a hole in the gear so I can fix it to a mandrel, the screw can be discarded afterwards.

Gear turned down and ring pressed and loctited on and a couple of tapped drive screws fitted for added safety.

Blank mounted on the hobber, head set over to 2 degrees and bed set over to the lead angle of the hob. Just touching on the blank at this point so I can zero the knee and apply 0.135" depth of tooth cut.

Better shot of the hob in relation to the blank, just needs the feed adding and we are ready to go.

Continued due to image limit.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• John Stevenson
      • Mar 2001

Gear cut, as it was bronze it cut really easy and it was possible to do the gear in one pass, eight minutes start to stop.

Gear all cleaned up and finished, need to drop it back Friday as he's not there tomorrow and go skip diving

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Eh, a hobber instead of a Fellows machine..... whatever........I was close...!

Nice to have the equipment. I have some hobs, but the mill is not a universal, and I have no gearing setup for the DH. And setting the DH over to the angle ends up being a pain even ror other needs.... I should at least make an adjustable sub table, but that isn't a complete cure either.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 08-10-2016, 05:18 PM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

Jerry,
          It's actually a Victoria U2 thinly disguised as a gear hobber.

Encoder runs off the spindle to count revs, that's fed into Linux CNC which then spits out pulses for the stepper driven dividing head.

It used to run off a dedicated black box but it started playing up and Linux makes a fantastic job.

Screen shot of the controller.

Standard Linux but with some files changed. I must give credit to Andy Pugh in the UK who did this on his mill and posted the results on You tube and also Dave Caroline who lves near me who actually set this up.

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Ah, nice.

You had me confused with the head set over AND the table set over...... The U2 I thought was fixed, did you put a V-head on it and aline that with the arbor support?

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• John Stevenson
              • Mar 2001

No U stands for universal, it has a swiveling table.
              The V was vertical and the H was a plain horizontal.

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

Exactly, so what was the deal with the HEAD?

Comment

• Guster
                  • Jun 2016

Universal table aligned to the hob angle will give you straight gear tooth. You still have to set the dividing head over to generate the helical/angled gear tooth when feeding the table over to cut the full width on the blank.

Thanks for the post John!

There is a rather large box of rarely used gear hobs for sale locally, going for roughly 1/10th of their value. Still a significant cost but this post is making making consider upgrading to a universal mill now. In fact a local machine re-seller actually had an Elliot or Victoria in the back for about NZ$1k.
                  Last edited by Guster; 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• J Tiers
                    • Jan 2004

It was described as a hobbing machine, which needs no dividing head.... the hob is a continuous cutter and the machine carries the gears.

But if it is actually a mill made over, then the DH might still be used for the gearing. But if all CNC, then I would presume it is the equivalent stepper/servo unit being described as the "head".

OK.....

Comment

• Guster
                      • Jun 2016

Might have to read post #19 again as John explains exactly what it is and how it works along with the photos provided.

Comment

• J Tiers
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guster View Post
                        Might have to read post #19 again as John explains exactly what it is and how it works along with the photos provided.
                        Nope, read it the first time.... but thanks, I guess.......

"dividing head" may or may not be what we think when stepper driven. Anyway looks good.

Andy Pugh, eh? He's on the Rivett 608 group. A busy guy.

Comment

• ElectronMini
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                          Jerry,
                          It's actually a Victoria U2 thinly disguised as a gear hobber.

Encoder runs off the spindle to count revs, that's fed into Linux CNC which then spits out pulses for the stepper driven dividing head.

It used to run off a dedicated black box but it started playing up and Linux makes a fantastic job.

Screen shot of the controller.

Standard Linux but with some files changed. I must give credit to Andy Pugh in the UK who did this on his mill and posted the results on You tube and also Dave Caroline who lves near me who actually set this up.
                          Whaooooo.. I guess that was quite awhile ago. I have been trying to code with the Arduino UNO without much success on the strategy in detail. I can do it for some number of teeth for gears where the teeth are not giving me fraction of steps. Some one wrote that in YouTube in Assembler, but I cannot get the gist and too old to learn it.
                          Anywhere i can read more about your project because at this point you are using terms not familiar to me. I have been thinking of switching am old DELL to Linux but also a steep curve.
                          Any pointers will be appreciated, may I switch to your system for guidance.
                          I am much better machinist than digital person, but can change.
                          Thanks

Comment

• Richard P Wilson
                            • Aug 2012

Sorry to tell you that John died several years ago.
                            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Working...
                            X