This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. 22 LR reloading

What's your thoughts on reloading 22 LR shells?

Steve
    If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

It can be done. There is a kit at www.22lrreloader.com. To me it would be way too much time and effort.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      It can be done. There is a kit at www.22lrreloader.com. To me it would be way too much time and effort.
      The kit doesn't provide a way to fix the deformation on the spent case, like a set of dies would. I wouldn't want to count on proper feeding in a semi auto. Dented shell cases might be ok on a revolver.

Comment

I've seen articles on rim-fire reloading before and not one has dealt with adequate case prep, without dies and a hydraulic or mechanical means of removing the hammer strike from the spent case I'd view it as a bodge or at best an emergency only option.
        I'd also like to see a better primer option than match heads or scrapings from roll caps.

- Nick
        If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

The priming is the bug-a boo in the deal but I've found about 25,000 new cases primed cases I'm trying to buy. But I'm not posting pictures as that will get this thread deleted as was the target pics & the 32 machine buy as whiners complain to George. So believe it or not.

Comment

Anything can be done given enough time & tooling, but what is the benefit when 22LR (in my area at least) is reasonably cheap and available? I can buy any quantity of plinking ammo for 6 to 10 cents a round, and there is ample amounts of higher grade match/target grade ammo.

I could get into some new primed brass though, just to experiment with. Priming is the crux of reloading any rimfire. I just turned down a trade for a Remington 591 because the 5mm rimfire ammo is $1 a round at its cheapest.

Comment

A more accurate 22 round? Why? If someone breaks wind down the street it'll blow them off target.

Comment

I dunno... I was sort of being sarcastic in my response. I don't reload, so I must ask.... Why would primed brass be more accurate than unprimed brass?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                  A more accurate 22 round? Why? If someone breaks wind down the street it'll blow them off target.
                  Hey, those biathletes take their ammo seriously.

Comment

Well, I know you and I aren't one of them. We're sitting here in/on our seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Royldean View Post
                      I dunno... I was sort of being sarcastic in my response. I don't reload, so I must ask.... Why would primed brass be more accurate than unprimed brass?
                      Not more accurate, it's nearly impossible to properly prime a rim fired round in a home shop environment. My understanding is that factories do it by using primer in a liquid form and then spinning each case to distribute the compound to the rim of the round till it dries. Probably doable in a 'survival' situation, but for casual reloaders, it just isn't viable (IMO).

Comment

"Probably doable in a 'survival' situation, but for casual reloaders, it just isn't viable"

We are machinists. It's not that hard to make a slow speed centrifuge to force the primer to the bottom. It's not even hard to make a spinner to rotate the shell to ensure the primer is distributed around the rim.

The problem to solve is to do it in such a way that nothing explodes at unwanted times.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I posted a video of making cci 22 ammo but the tread was deleted but it's on youtube. People have done it with self striking ground up match heads but it's not consistent. This was deleted with that thread .321" outside to outside @75yards with a used Savage trying my 1st box of Tac22 ammo. So the 5 shot group was just under 1/4 MOA which is good but like machining shooters always try to do better.

Comment

Would it be possible to make what would amount to a die that the cartridge would fit in and then use hydraulic pressure force cartridge back into the proper shape? I know you said you found primed brass, I'm just curious if it would be possible in a home shop to reform the used brass. I have seen plenty of examples of home hydroforming, so I have to assume it could be done. I wouldn't think it would be exceptionally difficult either.

Regardless, interesting subject. I was not aware that it was remotely possible to reload a rimfire cartridge...

Later,
                            Jason

Comment

I think the problem is cleaning out the old primer & installing new if you can find the priming liquid or a formula for it. My primed brass is en route now so it will be fun to experiment. High quality 22 target ammo is expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X