Eureka Form Relieving Tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Form Relieving Tool.

I know this is a long shot but do any of you gentlemen have a Eureka they would part with. I can build one from Law's book but right now I have more money than time and need it for an urgent project. Please contact me off list if you can help. Cheers, JL

[email protected]
    James Lea

Sorry,
    Just sold a full sized one about 4 weeks ago.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

In the absence of a Eureka, you might consider producing a four flute cutter using the offset center method to get back relief on the contours. John Stevenson had a writeup about that two or three years ago and I think others have also illustrated it.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

The traditional method for watch and clock people is the one shown in the Goodrich book. You make the cutter with a circular profile, Section it into teeth and toothspaces, then slit under the teeth and bend them inward to form the relief.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

There is at least one solid model of the Eureka on GrabCad. The drawings in Law's book have been reduced to where they are difficult to read.

Comment

Originally posted by jameslea View Post
            I know this is a long shot but do any of you gentlemen have a Eureka they would part with. I can build one from Law's book but right now I have more money than time and need it for an urgent project. Please contact me off list if you can help. Cheers, JL

[email protected]
            What the hell is. A Eureka? It seems to have something to do with clocks but I'mmissing it. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
              What the hell is. A Eureka? It seems to have something to do with clocks but I'mmissing it. Bob
              It's a device to apply clearance when turning a form tool. A gear cutter or other form can't simply be turned as a circular disk with the correct peripheral shape and then have slots put in to form teeth. It needs back clearance to cut. If the gullets are produced first, the Eureka tool controls the cutting tool to advance and retract the cut and provide the clearance.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I was fixing to send him my old vacuum cleaner
                George from Conyers Ga.
                Remember
                The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                  It's a device to apply clearance when turning a form tool. A gear cutter or other form can't simply be turned as a circular disk with the correct peripheral shape and then have slots put in to form teeth. It needs back clearance to cut. If the gullets are produced first, the Eureka tool controls the cutting tool to advance and retract the cut and provide the clearance.
                  That's why the watchmaker version works. The profile is cut circular, then gullets are cut, then the sections are partly undercut, and bent down to form a relief. It's in the Goodrich book on watchnmaker lathes.

Cheap, easy, and gets 85% of the way to perfect. Only suitable for smaller cutters, in general.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    That's why the watchmaker version works. The profile is cut circular, then gullets are cut, then the sections are partly undercut, and bent down to form a relief. It's in the Goodrich book on watchnmaker lathes.

Cheap, easy, and gets 85% of the way to perfect. Only suitable for smaller cutters, in general.
                    So, JT, Are you into clock making/building? and/or familiar w/NAWCC clock construction forum?
                    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Working...
                    X