Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw, welder and shop scraps toe jack design

Hi Everyone,

I noticed a bit of discussion on making a toe jack so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

Around the same time, I needed a way to lift our house off of a rotting sill and also to lift a 7 ton diesel generator set for moving. I was quite busy and didn't want to do any machining. I also did not want to put any stress on the jack body because I didn't know how much weight I was going to have to lift with the house. Soooo, here is what I came up with:

I found I had to add the small feet in the front to resist a tendency for this to tip into the load. Because some of my machines have things like electrical boxes down low I didn't want to put any inward pressure on them.

More details in next post..........................
    Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:09 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

All the angles are 2 X 3 X 1/4 and the square tube is 2 X 2 X 3/16. The basic frame is 13 inches tall. The base plate, 6 1/2 X 5 1/2 X 3/8 thick:

The handle is just 1/2 EMT. I had to add the shoes (pointed to in red) because once in awhile the slide assembly would catch on the added feet on its way down.

These last shots are just to show more views of how everything fits together:

Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:14 AM.
    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Just for grins, here is the generator before it was moved

And at the start of the move:

Had to squeeze through a doorway w/o hitting a large electrical panel. The 4X4 is oak and was a pry bar to wiggle the genset sideways on the rollers as needed:

One more post ...................................
      Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:24 AM.
      Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

As soon as it was through the doorway and clear of the electrical panel, the rest of the move was quite fast:

I just had to spin it around on one roller so I could hook the come-a-long to the other end of the building:

And pull it into place:

To give more perspective of the size of this genset, I'm 6 feet tall and not a burly linebacker type:

Not to bad for a 66 year old fart working totally alone for 6 hours.
        Last edited by jhe.1973; 01-07-2018, 12:31 AM.
        Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

Good job, I bet that deeetroyt sure sounds nice!!

Comment

Thanks!

I never heard this one run. The next step was to lift it out of the building but problems arose with the contractor so I pulled out of the project after this move.
            Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

Comment

That's brilliant Jim, it's good when things can be done your own way, design is food for thought aswell...

Thanks for sharing...
              Chris....

Comment

Love love love the Detroit.

-Doozer 3-53na
                DZER

Comment

We had several of those generators in our GM plant to cover heat treat departments. The electricians fired up the V-16's every Friday. Cool machinery.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

That looks really great. I had seen it mentioned on another thread, and I wasn't sure what a "toe jack" was. Good job!! Very clever!!--Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Amazing. The union hall would have sent at least 4 guys.

Comment

Perhaps that was at root in the disagreement - worked too fast/too 'easily', leaving the contractor needing to justify the sizable price quoted to the owner.

jhe.1973, thank you for not only the toe jack details, but also photos of another one of the moving projects you have undertaken.

It is a trival matter in the overall context of your post here, but I am wondering whether you would speak to the manner in which the contours of the angle legs of the slider section were cut to provide clearance for the jack body.

A combination of handheld plasma with a guide used for the straight lengths and drills/hole saw for the radii?

Originally posted by jhe.1973 View Post

Last edited by EddyCurr; 08-15-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Very nice jhe.1973! Thanks for pics.

Comment

We need a thumbs up icon.

Comment

It is a very nice job, you did good there,
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X