X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhe.1973
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Arggh ... I tried to find your next post from 8-15-2016 and search was no help at all. Are those posts still around? If not, how did this thread reappear? I think that this is mostly operator error, so if somebody can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Sorry if my mention of next post was misleading. RichR nailed it. Thanks Rich!

I have seen people interchange terms (posts, threads, forums) which can lead to misunderstandings. Perhaps this played into it.

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Arggh ... I tried to find your next post from 8-15-2016 and search was no help at all. Are those posts still around? If not, how did this thread reappear? I think that this is mostly operator error, so if somebody can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Bob
    I think he was referring to the Nuclear Blast Detector in this post:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...49#post1064849

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by jhe.1973 View Post
    There is a a funny story about this project that will be in the next post 'cuz I'm at my photo limit...................................

Bob

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by OhioDesperado View Post
    AT&T Site I am guessing. Possibly AUTOVON Military switch site.
    Some info on AUTOVON: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/autovo...r-world-war-3/

Leave a comment:

• jhe.1973
    replied
    Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
    That toe jack looks stronger than sh*t.

metalmagpie
    Well I did have to lift part of my house..................twice!

Leave a comment:

• jhe.1973
    replied
    Yep! AT&T. It handled a LOT of long distance communications from/to the west coast. Don't know what the AUTOVON designation is.

Leave a comment:

• CarlByrns
    replied
    Originally posted by true temper View Post
    Good job, I bet that deeetroyt sure sounds nice!!
    I worked on an 600GPM irrigation pump with the same engine. Everyone in the county knew when it was pumping!

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    Where was that, Dan? From '66 to '70 I worked in the San Francisco TOC (television operating center) at 333 Grant Ave. On the Program side (where radio and TV audio were switched) there were operating positions for about 20 program men. At the very beginning they still had the ancient telegraph keys and sounders at each position.

-js
    I worked out of slns01 in the early 70s. Started as a cord-board long distance operator and retired as lead in the "Data Security" group. It was nice to be able to change jobs every few years and have the company pay for the training necessary for the new position.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Stewart
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    The building I worked in had a switchboard with room for one hundred operators. It had both local and a long distance switching systems. It had some huge generators and a huge bank of batteries in the basement. Enough diesel fuel was stored onsite to keep going for a week. The 3 story building took up most of a city block.

It also had a bomb shelter big enough for the employees to shelter in until the bombs stopped falling. I never saw a "nuclear blast detector" panel, but there might have been one behind the BIG steel door that protected the shelter.
    Where was that, Dan? From '66 to '70 I worked in the San Francisco TOC (television operating center) at 333 Grant Ave. On the Program side (where radio and TV audio were switched) there were operating positions for about 20 program men. At the very beginning they still had the ancient telegraph keys and sounders at each position.

-js

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    I like your design, it has no side loading on the jack. The jack is free floating and you have the added bonus of quick change jacks. The only slight disadvantage is the increased mechanical disadvantage (leverage) compared to conventional designs.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    In the 60s, many of the Bell System equipment offices were part of the Civil Defense design. The Bell System was what AT&T (THE telephone company) was called back then. I even had a "Civil Defense" symbol on my ID badge that would get me past road blocks if martial law was declared.

The building I worked in had a switchboard with room for one hundred operators. It had both local and a long distance switching systems. It had some huge generators and a huge bank of batteries in the basement. Enough diesel fuel was stored onsite to keep going for a week. The 3 story building took up most of a city block.

It also had a bomb shelter big enough for the employees to shelter in until the bombs stopped falling. I never saw a "nuclear blast detector" panel, but there might have been one behind the BIG steel door that protected the shelter.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    That toe jack looks stronger than sh*t.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• OhioDesperado
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jhe.1973
    replied
    Whew!

Going backwards through the threads I started and I found this one needing photos - just finished.

Leave a comment:

• jhe.1973
    replied
    Originally posted by RichR View Post
    So, when is the best time for a nuclear blast?
    Wednesdays work best for me........................ Kinda gives a new meaning to the phrase, "Over the hump".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X