new to me drill press photo test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to me drill press photo test

Found on the local Craigs list. A Buffalo 20 1/2 in working condition. I've had this for a couple of weeks now and it seems to all work OK . It needs new bushings in the lower drive pulleys, and a table life mechanism. If some one has one laying around I would be interested. So far I have been able to drill a 1" hole with no complaints from the machine.

lg
    no neat sig line
    Last edited by larry_g; 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM.
    near Salem OR

A great looking machine. What size MT is it?

Comment

I'm going to guess 3MT, is this what you'd call a camel back?, nice
      Mark

Comment

What kind of clamp is that?
        Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Wahlstrom Float Lock Drill Press Vise On edit, Tom Lipton vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroZ6Afi760

http://www.lighttoolsupply.com/catal...&categoryID=94

It is one I picked up at auction and it works well for a lot of things. The spindle on this is a MT4. With the back gear it slows right down and should handle the larger jobs. The bevel gears on the top of the spindle are chipped and have had repairs done to broken teeth so I'm a bit leary of throwing a really big bit into it till I find some replacement gears.

lg
          no neat sig line
          Last edited by larry_g; 08-16-2016, 10:55 PM.
          near Salem OR

Comment

I managed to cobble a table lift from the junk box. The handle is from an old pipe vise and the bearing blocks from the box.

I was able to fit a plate in the split for table clamp collar. It fits over the clamp screws.

A view of the winder shaft. I'm still pondering a shaft lock to keep the winder shaft locked to prevent the cable from unwinding.

lg
            no neat sig line
            near Salem OR

Comment

Nice find and neat idea for the table lift.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Larry would you look at how that drill was built for me
                I am rebuilding an Aurora that is slightly larger. The keyed shaft that goes down through the bevel gear was bent above the drill.

I have to replace it with new and I can't figure out if it and the morse socket are one piece of steel or two, connected somehow.
                I am having a hard time getting the shaft through the gear for disassembly.

I am wondering if the morse socket can come off then I can send the keyed shaft up and out.

That was pretty long winded......How do I get the damn thing apart?

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                  Larry would you look at how that drill was built for me
                  I am rebuilding an Aurora that is slightly larger. The keyed shaft that goes down through the bevel gear was bent above the drill.

I have to replace it with new and I can't figure out if it and the morse socket are one piece of steel or two, connected somehow.
                  I am having a hard time getting the shaft through the gear for disassembly.

I am wondering if the morse socket can come off then I can send the keyed shaft up and out.

That was pretty long winded......How do I get the damn thing apart?
                  ...I like a plain spoken man!

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post

A view of the winder shaft. I'm still pondering a shaft lock to keep the winder shaft locked to prevent the cable from unwinding.

lg
                    no neat sig line
                    I think I'd try to emulate the ratchet drive from an arbor press. You would lift the pawl to unwind. You wouldn't need as many teeth unless you wanted them.

Comment

what a beauty, I'd love a DP like that! I've heard that they'll drill big holes in steel without a murmur.

I also dig your table lift idea, I'll have to give that some serious thought. My Walker Turner doesn't have one and it's awkward lifting the table with the XY table on there and reaching under to lock it at the right height. This would make it a lot easier, just have to figure out how to cobble it together. A possible modification to yours if lifting effort is at the limit, is to add a second pulley at the bottom and anchor the cable at the top.

Comment

Did a table lift a bit like that. But we switched it over to a long gas spring on two ball joints just tapped into the casting. It is way faster to move.

I used to have an Arboga 2 hp geared head drill press. Power feed 1-1/4" drill thru 2" of steel, no pilot hole, piece of cake! You do NOT want that part to spin free!

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                          Did a table lift a bit like that. But we switched it over to a long gas spring on two ball joints just tapped into the casting. It is way faster to move.

I used to have an Arboga 2 hp geared head drill press. Power feed 1-1/4" drill thru 2" of steel, no pilot hole, piece of cake! You do NOT want that part to spin free!
                          how did you work out what gas spring to use? Did you weigh the table? Does it act as a counterweight, so that the table effectively doesn't weigh anything, or as a spring, pushing the table up (or slowing its descent)? I'm really curious

would also love to have an Arboga

Comment

I've been in 2 shops that had Arboga drill presses. Both of them would pop out of gear if you put too much pressure on the drill bit. In both cases, there was a very thin line between getting the hole drilled and popping out of gear. I don't know the cause of this, but I would never buy one after using those.
                            Kansas City area

Comment

What a neat drill press, I always thought that style was neat. You are lucky to have found it.

Comment

Working...
                              X