new to me drill press photo test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    what a beauty, I'd love a DP like that! I've heard that they'll drill big holes in steel without a murmur.

I also dig your table lift idea, I'll have to give that some serious thought. My Walker Turner doesn't have one and it's awkward lifting the table with the XY table on there and reaching under to lock it at the right height. This would make it a lot easier, just have to figure out how to cobble it together. A possible modification to yours if lifting effort is at the limit, is to add a second pulley at the bottom and anchor the cable at the top.
    I too have a W-T with an XY table, and it is a pain to lift the table. I had considered mounting a trailer jack under the table to lift it, but never got a round tuit.

Comment

My OTC press uses a small hand winch mounted at arm height on the side, plus a couple of pulleys. Seems like that would work well for a DP with a heavy table and the manual winches are available for less than $20.

It looks something like this:
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE6XRTM...H3KTTJR15QNYEK

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
        My OTC press uses a small hand winch mounted at arm height on the side, plus a couple of pulleys. Seems like that would work well for a DP with a heavy table and the manual winches are available for less than $20.

It looks something like this:
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EE6XRTM...H3KTTJR15QNYEK
        A side crank trailer jack would work as well with a little less tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
          how did you work out what gas spring to use? Did you weigh the table? Does it act as a counterweight, so that the table effectively doesn't weigh anything, or as a spring, pushing the table up (or slowing its descent)? I'm really curious

would also love to have an Arboga
          We lowered it onto a scale. We got one a little less than that. It will drop but can't fall quickly. So you just pull it up by hand.

Comment

For my Clausing drill press I used the jack from a 72 Chevrolet pick-up mounted on a bracket under the table. The jack is modified to use a 1/2 drive ratchet wrench for up and down. I also converted it to foot feed using a cable and drum. If wanted I can take pictures. This was done quick and dirty to make it easy to drill 1500 1/4 diameter holes in 1"x2" steel tubing.

Comment

Thanks for the ratchet ideas to lock the table, I'm thinking along that line also. As for the air spring I have one on my smaller DP and it works well. When I first got this one It had nothing for a table lift so I used a ratchet strap around the table and over the top frame. It may show as a red strap in the first picture. I then tried to work with an air cylinder but it got complicated to lift and rotate. I used a bottle jack under the table and base and that worked but a lot of fiddling. Finally came up with this and it works OK but is a bit of work. I may try the suggestion to put a pulley on the table and terminate the cable higher so that I have a 2-1 lift ratio.

lg
              no neat sig line
              near Salem OR

Comment

My big old Atlas-Clausing has a slick system. A leadscrew runs from a drive box on a clamp ring fitting the column, to another clamp ring with the nut in it, below the table. If the bottom ring is tight, and the upper one free, then the head can be moved up and down (if unclamped). With the top tight, and the bottom plus table unclamped, the table can be moved.

Aside from beng a little slow if you want a large movement, it is a neat and effective system, requiring little effort to move either table or head. Not sure exactly how it would be adapted to a camelback, but I suspect it could be done in a similar fashion to how Clausing did it.

Nice thing is that it is held even if you do not clamp the nut ring. The screw prevents unwanted movement, and also makes it easy to move just as much as you want, no more and no less.

Overall view. You can see the lower ring with the nut, and a bit of leadscrew extending below it. The drive box ring is the one just below the head. The ring below it is a safety ring.

The drive box and ring. Not shown is the cover, with crank and bevel gear.

Last edited by J Tiers; 10-08-2016, 12:14 AM.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

On my aurora they did the same thing as J.Tiers machine only from the base up to the table.

Comment

Working...
                  X