Machinist's Bedside Reader - 3 books - Sold for $5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist's Bedside Reader - 3 books - Sold for $5

Saw a listing for the three Machinist's Bedside Readers on eBay this week. Added it to my watch list with the intention of bidding, and noticed today that they were sold early - For $5!

Did I miss it, or could they have changed the listing to "Buy It Now" after I added it to the watch list?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Machinist...vip=true&rt=nc

Someone got a great deal.

I'll say! I've got the books here and they are fantastic.

Comment

Thanks BCRider. Rub some more salt into the wound while it's still fresh

Just found out that you can "add" a BIN price if there are no bids and the auction does not end in the next 12 hours.

So the lesson learned is... Put in an early bid to disable the BIN option. Of course they could always pull the listing for some other reason.

Comment

More salt for the wound. A few years ago I was visiting friends in Burnaby, British Columbia. I mentioned that Guy Lautard lived in North Vancouver. Looked him up in the phone book, called him and got an invite. As a result, I have the set autographed and dated. Some good information and a lot of entertaining reading.

Comment

How high were you prepared to bid? My set has come to be considered a part of my retirement fund.

Personally, I am incredulous about the prospect that someone equipped w/ the basic skills necessary to list on eBay didn't have an appreciation of the present market value.

Maybe it was just a spoof listing?

Comment

A few have sold recently for 13$ each.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
              How high were you prepared to bid?
              Well, you know... At least $10 I hadn't really thought about it. Normally with these things, I wait until the last day. Check the current price, then do a quick bit of research to see what might be a reasonable bid. I hadn't gotten that far, but I knew these books were popular and no longer published.

Personally, I am incredulous about the prospect that someone equipped w/ the basic skills necessary to list on eBay didn't have an appreciation of the present market value.
              I thought this guy knew he was sitting on something valuable. The starting bid was $1. Showed confidence that there was going to be a few bidders. Someone must be out there contacting these sellers and saying - Hey, how about you make it a BIN and I'll give you $5 for the lot.

Maybe it was just a spoof listing?
              Yeah, that's better. Thanks for washing away some of the salt that BCRider and Stepside put in It was a spoof listing. The guy probably didn't even have the books. Some kind of scammer that was going to rip me off. Lucky I didn't put a bid in.
              Last edited by pinstripe; 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
                A few have sold recently for 13$ each.
                Not in Australia

Comment

If it helps I'll include you in my will to get the books when I kick off. If I continue with my bicycle riding for fitness and fairly clean living that means you might have them in... oh... .about 20 years from now. That OK?

Mind you if I let my buddy keep feeding me fine single malts and other top end whiskeys at the rate we both enjoy it might be a trifle sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                    Not in Australia

Ebay... so maybe?

Comment

To make you feel better, i got a good friend from San Fran to buy all 3 books for me from a couple of suppliers in the US, and bring them over here with him on a visit.
                      Paid the full whack price of around $125 inc postage to S.F for all 3.
                      The writing is good, there are some interesting projects and anecdotes, but i personally believe they are over rated.

Comment

I don't recall what the price was when I got mine but it was sure nothing at all like $125 for the three of them. For what they cost me it was well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                          T
                          The writing is good, there are some interesting projects and anecdotes, but i personally believe they are over rated.
                          They are for today's world, but they were published before the innermets and were one of the few exchanges of the type at the time. I have all three and looked forward to getting and reading them. Nowadays, the same information is passed on here and on other sites on a daily basis.
                          Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
                            Nowadays, the same information is passed on here and on other sites on a daily basis.
                            I prefer having the books.

If the 'information' you refer to being passed around was authoritative, pre-vetted, unequivocal and concise; then this would be a different matter.

Edit:

I meant to include that I applaud your observation about the role of the Bedside Readers in the pre-internet era.

I'll add that while I hold printed works in high regard and have a large, growing collection, circumstances contribute to the material shifting, ever so slowly, from being seen as an asset to being viewed as a liability.

Meanwhile, I make thorough use of resources available to me through the internet.

Last edited by EddyCurr; 08-20-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I prefer books as well. However, the Lautard books are Lautard's take on things. Not to demean him in any way, but they do contain a lot of less than vetted information. You have to read them with that in mind, they are enjoyable, imformative and thought provoking. I have made several of the projects in them, but I would not consider them classroom texts.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X