Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Android Shop Apps?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Favorite Android Shop Apps?

    I picked up a $29, 7" Android tablet from China to act as a DRO head (using iGaging scales and an Arduino to read them). I've wasted the evening installing a bunch of machining-related apps, whatever came up in a play-store search. But, I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

    My list, not exactly organized but * flags especially interesting things:
    (Note I'm being preferential to apps that work in landscape as that's how the DRO head will mount)
    • CNC Machinist Calculator (very nice, though not landscape)
    • Drill Bit Charts Free
    • TouchDRO *
    • DWG FastView *
    • ElectroDroid
    • Fasteners
    • Fraction Calculator Plus *
    • Gear Design Calculator
    • Gears ratio calculate
    • Ghost Commander (file manager)
    • Handyman Calculator
    • Job Shop Lite
    • Jota Text Editor
    • Length Fraction Slider
    • Machining Mate
    • Machinist Budy Free
    • Machinist Mate *
    • QuickPic
    • Spirit Level *
    • STL View 2.0
    • TapDrillTool Free
    • Thread Pitch *
    • Tricorder
    • Unit Converter
    • Zahnrad Gear Calc


    Anything else?

    Oh, this tab is only for the shop, no private stuff on it, and will spend most of its rather harsh and likely short life in airplane mode. Thus, I really don't care about invasive or advert-bloated apps. So long as they work offline. I will likely be moving a TF card back and forth to hold drawing, etc..

    David...
    http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    I have a bunch of apps on a android tab I keep in there for sounds and music, but I almost always end up using the computer in the corner for real stuff as the UI suits better.
    One thing to note, keep the screen away from hot swarf or bits, it only takes one spark of metal to ruin the touchscreen. My music player is acting up in this way after using a clean and strip disk about 3ft away from it. As far as I can see it has one particle, but a entire section of the screen is now not functioning so I have to rotate it between portrait and landscape to reach some buttons on the music player

    Another tip, keep it network connected but give it a incorrect gateway address. Then it'll speak to your local devices fine but not make it back out to the internet.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've got this True Position calculator: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....truepos&hl=en

      Comment


      • #4
        Another TouchDRO user here. Just recently finished a tablet holder for my lathe and added an aluminium ring with neo magnets to the collet closer adapter on the back of the spindle to read direction and RPM.

        Some additions to your list:
        GRBL tools for posting Gcode to Arduino based CNC controllers via Bluetooth etc.
        Sandvik has a range of apps and calculators
        OBDI apps if you have an OBDI dongle for your car
        Also noticed a few apps that measure and log vibration that I would like to play with sometime.

        While not strictly an app, one of my favourites is machinery handbook in PDF format.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
          I picked up a $29, 7" Android tablet from China to act as a DRO head (using iGaging scales and an Arduino to read them). I've wasted the evening installing a bunch of machining-related apps, whatever came up in a play-store search. But, I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

          My list, not exactly organized but * flags especially interesting things:
          (Note I'm being preferential to apps that work in landscape as that's how the DRO head will mount)
          • CNC Machinist Calculator (very nice, though not landscape)
          • Drill Bit Charts Free
          • TouchDRO *
          • DWG FastView *
          • ElectroDroid
          • Fasteners
          • Fraction Calculator Plus *
          • Gear Design Calculator
          • Gears ratio calculate
          • Ghost Commander (file manager)
          • Handyman Calculator
          • Job Shop Lite
          • Jota Text Editor
          • Length Fraction Slider
          • Machining Mate
          • Machinist Budy Free
          • Machinist Mate *
          • QuickPic
          • Spirit Level *
          • STL View 2.0
          • TapDrillTool Free
          • Thread Pitch *
          • Tricorder
          • Unit Converter
          • Zahnrad Gear Calc


          Anything else?

          Oh, this tab is only for the shop, no private stuff on it, and will spend most of its rather harsh and likely short life in airplane mode. Thus, I really don't care about invasive or advert-bloated apps. So long as they work offline. I will likely be moving a TF card back and forth to hold drawing, etc..

          David...
          I use FSWizardPro very often and I like it...

          Masimec's home shop

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
            ...One thing to note, keep the screen away from hot swarf or bits, it only takes one spark of metal to ruin the touchscreen...
            I actually never thought of that. The smaller phone I have in place now seems to have survived so far, but I could see how the screen could be damaged. I suppose one of those glass protectors might work, if I could find one that fit. Then again, they probably cost more than I paid for the tablet.

            Resistive touchscreens might be more vulnerable too. The tablet is multi-touch capacitive. I guess time will tell.

            David...
            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Guster View Post
              Another TouchDRO user here...
              GRBL tools for posting Gcode to Arduino based CNC controllers via Bluetooth etc.
              Sandvik has a range of apps and calculators
              OBDI apps if you have an OBDI dongle for your car
              Also noticed a few apps that measure and log vibration that I would like to play with sometime.

              While not strictly an app, one of my favourites is machinery handbook in PDF format.
              No to CNC, at least at my shop for now. I do intend to build a little desktop CNC rig with an Arduino as a controller... just building up the toolchain for that now. But, as I do computers for a living, my shop tends to be a place where I get as far away from computers as I can... except maybe a DRO, and some calculators, and PDF reference for sure. Sigh... no way to really escape them these days.

              I also added the OBDII app, though I have that on my personal tablet and will likely keep using that. This new tablet is going to be velcro'd to a spring-arm magnifying lamp by the lathe. I don't really expect to take it anywhere.

              No internet in the shop, and no space to set up a laptop (though I've thought about it at times). Part of the tablet thing is to see if I can get the reference stuff without having to make space for a laptop. I'll see how that goes.

              I did notice the Sandvik stuff, but I think they ended up in the batch of "Portrait and not quite worth dealing with that hassle" pile. I tried out too many apps last night to remember much of the details. Stayed up way too late for a work night... paying for it now.

              David...
              http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                I know what you mean. I'm a software solution architect by trade - computers are unavoidable. Tablets are a happy medium and Arduino, TI Launchpad and R-pi make up for the rest. Once I get R-pi running Android I might even split the duty between the devices a bit.

                I have a glass screen protector on my tablet by the lathe. Only worried about heavier things hitting it. It has bits of swarf and oil wiped off the screen all the time. It's an HP 10Plus I got on sale a year ago. It was purchased primarily for TouchDRO, Spotify and GRBL tools. Though it is used for OBDI and other bits too. Final touch is to make a little dovetail fitting on the back to make it easy to take the tablet down from the articulated wall mount over the lathe with an alternative stand near the workbench. The clamshell case I made out of old cutting boards works well but to hard to take out of so easier to move it as it is.

                Right now I don't have wi-fi access to the standalone metal-clad workshop which acts as a Faraday-cage. I do however have a twin aerial range extender and antenna cable. Planning to drill a whole through to the outside and make a plastic gland to expose one aerial to the outside world to extend the house wifi into the workshop. There are some nice bluetooth hearing protection I have my eye on too.
                Last edited by Guster; 08-30-2016, 09:55 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by masimec View Post
                  I use FSWizardPro very often and I like it...

                  Masimec's home shop
                  I have already installed the lite version... wasn't too impressed until I found the settings and increased the font size so I could read it Much better now.

                  I take it the pro version offers more materials choices?

                  David...
                  http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by EricM View Post
                    I've got this True Position calculator: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....truepos&hl=en
                    Well, I installed it... I ran it... I read the help screen... me thinks it's a tad above my amateur machining ability at this point. Sigh... the engineering drawings I usually work from don't list much in the way of tolerances; the old envelops I usually end up scribbling on aren't that big. I do understand the theoretical part, as in "theoretically, the hole should have been over here, but it's over there, and, well, I guess it's welding time, again."

                    On a more serious note... I guess what I'm trying to say is that the errors this app seems to be identifying are swamped out by my general inability/indifference/inattention to the level of detail required. I'm sure there are others reading this that aren't similarly handicapped and I will say the app seems to have a very clean and straightforward design.

                    Oh, welcome to the board,

                    David...
                    http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                      I have already installed the lite version... wasn't too impressed until I found the settings and increased the font size so I could read it Much better now.

                      I take it the pro version offers more materials choices?

                      David...
                      Yes, the lite version is almost useless compared to the pro version... [emoji15]

                      Masimec's home shop

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What's Tricorder do? The only stuff I could find was related to sci-fi.
                        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by winchman View Post
                          What's Tricorder do? The only stuff I could find was related to sci-fi.
                          Might only be available via Fdroid (an opensource store... lots of good stuff)

                          Tricorder is a "themed" app that includes a set of sensors: off the top of my head, wifi access points and signal strength, cell signal strength, gps signal, magnetic sensor, audio level sensor, tilt sensor, oh, and it tracks sunspot activity too (downloaded from website). A little geeky, but actually quite a useful integrated package.

                          David...

                          P.S. Ordered a glass screen protector, not custom to this tablet but it doesn't have to be perfect. Now it's just a matter of seeing if it arrives before the swarf does
                          Last edited by fixerdave; 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM.
                          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Swiss army knife !!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Guster View Post
                              I know what you mean. I'm a software solution architect by trade - computers are unavoidable. Tablets are a happy medium and Arduino, TI Launchpad and R-pi make up for the rest. Once I get R-pi running Android I might even split the duty between the devices a bit.

                              I have a glass screen protector on my tablet by the lathe. Only worried about heavier things hitting it. It has bits of swarf and oil wiped off the screen all the time. It's an HP 10Plus I got on sale a year ago. It was purchased primarily for TouchDRO, Spotify and GRBL tools. Though it is used for OBDI and other bits too. Final touch is to make a little dovetail fitting on the back to make it easy to take the tablet down from the articulated wall mount over the lathe with an alternative stand near the workbench. The clamshell case I made out of old cutting boards works well but to hard to take out of so easier to move it as it is.

                              Right now I don't have wi-fi access to the standalone metal-clad workshop which acts as a Faraday-cage. I do however have a twin aerial range extender and antenna cable. Planning to drill a whole through to the outside and make a plastic gland to expose one aerial to the outside world to extend the house wifi into the workshop. There are some nice bluetooth hearing protection I have my eye on too.
                              I haven't played with the TI- launchpad, how does it compare to the Atmel AVR based stuff?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X