Power options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power options

I finally decided to sell my race chassis so in two weeks when the new owner comes to pick it up I'll have some cash to buy a better mill. I've been looking at some mills on some of the closer sites. What are my options as far as power is concerned? I can only get 220 single phase power here. I don't want to buy a mill that I can't run of course. Thanks in advance.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

You can use a VFD or a phase converter to get your three phase power if that is what you are looking for. Some mills also lend themselves to changing the motor to single phase 220. I hope this helps you some.

Comment

I should have added that a couple of machines I'm looking at have 575 volt motors. Those are the ones I was wondering about. I read that you can use a phase converter for 220/3 ph but am not sure about the 575V motors. Thanks!

Comment

You would need a transformer with a rotary pahse converter to step up the voltage. You would need to do the same thing on the input of the VFD. The VFD can only output up to the input voltage. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 220v motor instead of the transformers.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The transformers etc. sound like a lot of fooling around. And I'll bet big 220v motors are going to have sticker shock values high enough to consider buying a mill that already has one.

Comment

If you buy a mill that sets the speed by changing a belt on pulleys, you will soon wish for a variable speed drive. You can use a VFD and a three phase motor for that, or a DC drive. If you buy a mill with a three phase motor (220v) you will be all set to add a VFD. If it were me, I would go that way.

Comment

Working...
            X