Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Is this sump pump shot or repairable? Needs spin to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Is this sump pump shot or repairable? Needs spin to start.

Hurricane on the way again, so I'm seeing to my infrastructure. My Simer centrifugal pump, she won't start on her own. Give it a little spin and it goes. This was my primary for some years, now the backup is in place, but now there's no backup. Do these have buried waterproof starter caps or what? Motor tech has never been my strong suit. It seemed worth it to pull the motor and see what's up, but at only like $110 or so to buy, a lot of effort ain't warranted.

Last edited by gellfex; 09-01-2016, 11:42 PM.

Buy a backup pump, return if not needed.

Comment

Sounds like a duff starter cap to me.

Comment

According to the Simer website, the pumps appear to use a split phase induction motor. Whatever it is, it is apparently a sealed motor.

If it does not pump and it is a motor problem, as it seems from your description, buy a new pump is their suggestion. I agree.... aside from the motor, there is nearly nothing of any value in he pump other than the motor.

The only possible other cause of non-starting is jamming from debris. That is not too compatible with it starting easily if spun by hand.

Replace the pump.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Split phase motors don't have a start cap. They only have a cintrifical switch. Usually the motors are oil filled to displace the water. It's not worth the time and money to repair it.

sent from my shop paradise

Comment

If the motor is making that "stalled" sound I would say that the shaft is sticking in one of the journal bearings. Otherwise it is most likely a motor problem. Appears that you got your money's worth out of it.
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Thanks all, replaced it from Sears of all places. You never know what they'll have in stock, I recently got a great deal on 6x48 sanding belts. Was more expensive than expected, $190 for 1/2 hp.

Comment

Originally posted by train_backshop View Post
                Split phase motors don't have a start cap. They only have a cintrifical switch.
                That is a new one on me!!
                What do they use the switch for?

The oil filled sump pumps I have used have all been PSC motors, Permanent Start cap.
                I have refilled a few on occasion after a clean and rebuild.
                Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                  That is a new one on me!!
                  What do they use the switch for?

The oil filled sump pumps I have used have all been PSC motors, Permanent Start cap.
                  I have refilled a few on occasion after a clean and rebuild.
                  Max.
                  It's resistance start. The start winding has high resistance, which puts it more in-phase than the main winding, giving a phase shift between the windings, and rotating field/torque.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                  X