No announcement yet.

How do AXA tool holders fail ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps deeper is a better word. The point is to add more material beneath the tool.
    Jim H.

Comment

I made a bunch of QCTP tool holders from 6061 aluminum. They aren't the AXA style (they're for a Harbor freight toolpost that has the dovetail genders switched - the male is on the tool holder and the female is on the post) but apart from having a male dovetail instead of a female they are similar to an AXA.

They have held up for about 15 years with zero problems. Granted, this is on a 7x14 lathe, so I'm not generating huge forces. But I have never felt the need to baby them.

Walt

Comment

Buying QCTP holders is an addiction, you just keep buying more and more. CDCO are the pushers man.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Nope.
          Add more material next to the tool.
          That is the weak area.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
            There was a couple of comments in a different thread (Shop Made Tools) about using aluminum versus steel for AXA QCTP holders. As a follow up, I'd like to hear people's experiences with failures of AXA tool holders. I am particularly interested in structural and material failures - shear, bending, bell mouthing, etc. While we may learn something from use-failures ('I forgot to tighten the set screws') that isn't the direction I am headed on this thread.

Thanks
            Dan
            They don't really break or bend, as you see from this thread. I believe the comments you received about aluminum tool holders were more about mass and rigidity than actual failure. Unless you consider flex and vibration a failure.

I haven't used any in aluminum, so didn't comment. I'm sure they can be made to work well. My only concern would be distortion of the tool seat, possibly allowing the tool to sit tilted.

Comment

What does axa stand for?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HilltopMike View Post
                What does axa stand for?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                Excellent question. Any machine tool etymologists hereabouts?
                Maybe it's similar to "tubafour" etc.

Comment

That's a designation that one of the big name companies used (Dorian or Alaris???) used to designate the size. The higher the leading letter, the taller (and fatter) the tool post. The bigger tool post uses bigger holders that can handle bigger tool shanks.

0XA is for the 7x?? lathes and use up to a 3/8 inch tool

AXA is generally for the 9 to 10 inch lathes, and use up to 1/2 inch too.

and so on.

Dan
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Used Dickson QCTP types for over 30 years, never ever had a problem with anything inc the holders. My current Boxford owned since 2003, has 3 genuine HARD Bison holders, 11 homemade mild steel holders, and 5 i recently made in aluminium, because the material was to hand. These were designed for low load applications, ie small boring tools etc. No problemo so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
                      My parents were AXA. You can't imagine what we went through.
                      Parents ????????????????????

Comment

Made many for my lathes out of mild steel without a problem. Can't see any reason aluminum would not work equally as well though. Plenty strong enough for the use, wear would be my only concern. Maybe I'll make one and get back to you all later how it held up. Bob.

Comment

I have had AXA tooling since the 1970's. The original set was Enco brand. I added several toolholders from Shars and CDCO. Never had a problem other than stripped sockets on the clamping screws and only on the asian holders. I have BXA tooling on my 13" lathe. No problems except stripped sockets o the clamping screws. All the BXA holders were asian. Used to have a Pratt & Whitney 14 x 30 from the early 1940's that had a DoAll (FIMS) quick change toolpost. I did break a boring bar holder. I was using a 1 1/4 bar clamped short and taking about .900 off the ID in one cut. The holder split right up the middle.

In my opinion it is impossible to break an Aloris style holder unless the holder was defective from the factory.

Comment

Hi,

I have had one Aloris made BXA holder fail. The bottom of the holder broke off. It appeared to be a fault in the steel itself. Something that couldn't be seen by just looking. It happens.

I suspect that for home use, aluminum can work just fine for many years without wearing out.

Dalee
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Have used Aloris Wedge Tool Posts and holders for over 40 years---never a failure
                              Always had excellent reputability as well. Not so with the button posts they have at our tech school !
                              Also have made over a dozen with steel that do good and are of value as custom blocks ( bored for .250 indicator holder for example)
                              Set screws are crap on imports as they do not have to me ANSI standards. American made Setscrews meet 176,000 # Tensile and thus will not fail like the cheap stuff.

Aluminum should work well, and look at the load.
                              The 1/2" x 3" long material holding the tool bit has 1.5 ~ square inches.
                              Aluminum has 10,000 pound tensile ....or 6,600 pounds in shear load
                              so ( 6.6K x 1.5) the force needed to fail is around 10,000 pounds.
                              Your screws probably give a preload of 2,000 pounds, so you need a 4 ton ( 8,000 #) load to break the tool holder.
                              I think the headstock of your lathe would break its mounting screws for that to happen ?

I have seen students at the local tech school that ran a tool holder into a spinning chuck.
                              The tool holder held up, but the cross-slide broke and the chuck jaws were never right again

Rich

If you do make your own tool holders, buy some adjustable stops from Aloris. This is the threaded post and keyed washer with knurled nut and lock nut.
                              Your tool holder will look primo ! and work magnificently... I know, they get 10 bucks for them, but I am proud of my blocks !
                              Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 10-22-2016, 09:26 PM.
                              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X