What's this shop-made tool used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this shop-made tool used for?

Approx 7"x 1.25" x o.5 in. Remains of red indicator fluid means it was made by a machinist, as were other things from his estate. Fork halves at end were made from cobalt steel as indicated by remains of markings I see but not visible in pix. Reverse side identical except you see the other ends of the 6 slot-head screws. What does it do?

Last edited by Cannonmn; 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM.

It could help with deburring the edge of that ruler shown in your pic.

Looks to be a scraper of some sort, judging by the residue around the tip of the V, and might be useful for deburring cut sheet stock.

Comment

http://www.10pt9.com/Gear/Tools/ISSF...auge-p560.html

Probably not, but close

Comment

I would guess edge deburring as well, or a weed puller lol

Comment

It's an Irish large bodied fish disgorger.

Comment

Not sure its meant to be handheld. If I were to make a handle it sure wouldn't look like that.. Maybe held in a vice?. JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

wire stripper?

Comment

draw through knife sharpener.

Comment

Thanks, yes deburring an edge makes sense, especially in light of his use of cobalt steel for the vee.

Comment

It's a small child paddle - the end is used to twist your nose - sometimes even your ears if you were really bad - my dad had one

Comment

It is to take the sharp edge off freshly guillotined sheet metal. Just a touch on a fine grinding wheel restores the sharp edge. The clever feature is making the edges from two pieces of steel to produce a perfect "v".

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                        It's a small child paddle - the end is used to twist your nose - sometimes even your ears if you were really bad - my dad had one
                        That explains a lot A.K.!!!! I will have to be more considerate of you in the future now that I know the reasons for your abnormalities!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I'd hazard a guess at its a setting guage for somthing, somthing round perpendicular to a face
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            That explains a lot A.K.!!!! I will have to be more considerate of you in the future now that I know the reasons for your abnormalities!
                            Have to admit considerate would be nice for a change - but Grandpaw always said even abuse is at least some form of attention

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                              Have to admit considerate would be nice for a change - but Grandpaw always said even abuse is at least some form of attention
                              Hey, I have been downright nice to you lately!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X