Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso & Alzheimer's?, the VIDEO

Always wanted to tackle a coffee pot.
    Casting is probably the smart way to do this.

Have gotten some unexpected feedback re: the dangers of making coffee / cooking in aluminum.
    Doesn't every restaurant in the world cook in aluminum?
    Not sure how founded this is, and I can find info online from both camps.. heck I've even found
    articles about the dangers of cooking in stainless!

But what I really got to wonder about is all the aluminum fines that end up in the air.
    Especially with a high speed spindle, belts grinders, polishers, etc.

Never really gave it a thought. I mean I wear breathing protection when grinding (angle, surface, etc),
    I know that kicks up a heck of a lot more fines.

Anyway, better or for worse, here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMrlyEreba8

Tony--That connection between aluminum and Alzheimers is an old rumour that just won't die. I worked many years for Volkswagen of Canada in an aluminum wheel manufacturing plant. Out on the line there were a dozen people who 8 hours a day ground casting flash off the alloy aluminum wheels with pneumatic grinders and varying grits of carborundum grinding tools. We had "health and safety committees" made up of employees, not management, who devoted a lot of time trying to see whether this connection was real or not. Nothing concrete was ever resolved one way or the other, but I know that I wouldn't have done the job.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Thanks for another great video Tony! As always, very enjoyable and informative.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Beer and soda has been in alum cans for years. I remember when they were steel cans. Along came pull tabs and alum.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Beer and soda has been in alum cans for years. I remember when they were steel cans. Along came pull tabs and alum.

JL.................
          They have a protective coating inside to prevent oxidation and corrosion from acids. I've gone down the coffee rabbit hole and since resurfaced. IMO why chance using Al.

Comment

My grandfather drank espresso everyday from a aluminum cup from when he was 12 (or so) till 72 when he passed. He never had any hint of any mental issues, and had several masters degrees. And you'd think the acidic coffee would break down the aluminum.

Most coffee pots are aluminum to begin with, no biggie.

Comment

The Romans used cookware made out of lead, difficult now to say how much it affected them.

Comment

Another great vid full of both talent and humor - the classic Tony/humor in the beginning could teach allot of seasoned comedians about both timing and delivery - stellar for sure...

Comment

Cool vid.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
                    The Romans used cookware made out of lead, difficult now to say how much it affected them.
                    They also used lead pipes, and boiled wine in lead pots because the lead gave wine a supposed sweet taste. It's thought lead is actually most of the reason for the roman demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
                      My grandfather drank espresso everyday from a aluminum cup from when he was 12 (or so) till 72 when he passed. He never had any hint of any mental issues, and had several masters degrees. And you'd think the acidic coffee would break down the aluminum.

Most coffee pots are aluminum to begin with, no biggie.
                      My 83 yr old dad drinks like a fish and smokes like a stack (since age 16), doesn't exercise, eats like crap and still lives an independent life in all ways. Wouldn't recommend other people try the same though. *YMMV*.

Anyways another great vid.. I've sent it along to others who I know would appreciate it on a number of fronts.

Comment

that was fun, thanks! Always learn something new.

Couple of thoughts. One, I would have made the wooden part of the handle wrap around the alu part more, especially between the handle and the body. It'll get very hot and that might avoid surprises. Or you could just pick it up with a rag Second, I was a bit surprised by the coffee coming out of the spout as it brewed - did you calculate the volume of the top chamber and the volume of water in the bottom chamber? Or is it a function of the hole angle in the top chamber?

I used to use one of those expresso pots a lot, especially for camping, but now we use a french press instead. Same caffeine, more volume!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL.................
                          Was that when Christopher Columbus discovered America

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            I used to use one of those expresso pots a lot, especially for camping, but now we use a french press instead. Same caffeine, more volume!
                            Hi Matt,

If you use quality coffee I recommend you do a taste test with espresso vs french press brew. They should taste different because espresso is being brewed at boiling point and under pressure, while french press coffee should be brewed after the water just cools down from a boil and is only under ambient air pressure. French press coffee should be less acidic and have a lower caffeine content as well, because it's being brewed slightly colder and for much longer. French press coffee might also have better aromatics.

Comment

for sure, they do taste a bit different, but I can't drink a large mug of espresso and still function I keep meaning to try cold brewing but I'm not quite organised/ too impatient to have gotten round to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X