No announcement yet.

semi OT - homemadtools.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc Nickel identifies his photos with his website address, others add the circle-c copyright logo, I believe that is all that is needed, but other information obviously can be added easily enough without degrading the photo quality.

If the signature line does not suffice, simply add to the body of the post. If the would be pirate is going to copy the post, reemoving the copyright will pose no obstacle regardless of where it is, removing from photos would be more problematical.
    Jim H.

Comment

So they basically act as your "publication agent", perhaps not to the exclusion of other outlets.

That makes sense, and I would certainly agree to the plans sale deal if asked. I don't know how they select things they may want to sell plans for, nor how they get in contact, but obviously there is some method, as there ARE plans on the site.

The ones I saw seemed to be fairly simple plans, with maybe one sheet of plans and some other information. I don't know how complicated they want to get.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
        Doc Nickel identifies his photos with his website address, others add the circle-c copyright logo, I believe that is all that is needed, but other information obviously can be added easily enough without degrading the photo quality.

If the signature line does not suffice, simply add to the body of the post. If the would be pirate is going to copy the post, reemoving the copyright will pose no obstacle regardless of where it is, removing from photos would be more problematical.

Thanks Jim.

Points noticed and with which I agree as I do recall seeing the instances you quoted re. copyright and notices on posts and images.

Many thanks - appreciated.

Comment

I think that is basically it. They publish it and take care of the mechanical details of the sale, like collecting the money. I have looked into the expense of selling on the web and it is going to be a significant percentage of the sale price no matter how you go. I looked into E-bay, Amazon, some others, and setting up my own web site. Any way you set up to collect the sale price will cost you a percentage. For a few items that are reasonably priced, you are going to have to sell a lot of them each month just to break even. Jon pays you 70% of the purchase price for each sale. He uses Pay Pal to pay you so I imagine there will be some percentage there and I may wind up with 60% or even 50%.

As for how you get your "plans" on the site, for sale, it is simple. You go to his sticky thread in the Plans For Sale forum and his e-mail address it there. You just e-mail him. My QC tool post article was somewhat large and would not go through my e-mail provider's system so I had to open a a Dropbox account so I could upload it there and I provided the link in my e-mail to Jon.

After he got it, he reviewed and made suggestions for some small changes, mostly punctuation and grammar. Your mileage here may differ. I made the changes and again uploaded to the Dropbox. It took about another week for him to send it to his graphic artist to do the page for the sales. Then I got a blank page for starting a sales description discussion in a thread. When I edited that and posted it, the plans were automatically added to the list of plans for sale. That was it. With my editing of the article and redrawing some of the drawings, it took about 2.5 to 3 weeks. The last I heard from Jon was that there had been 12 sales in the first few days it was up. I was delighted.

I have since sent a second construction article on a tape dispenser that allows you to measure the lengths of tape. It is primarily a wood project, with some metal work including a "bat handled nut" which I am somewhat proud of. It is a hand/thumb operated nut with a unique appearance which I made from common hardware store items and simple hand tools. This second "plan" is not in the hands of his graphic artist and should be up for sale in a few days.

As for the length of the plans, my tool post plan is around 23 pages long, depending on printer settings. And the tape dispenser plan is around 29 pages when I last printed it. Jon has said something about working with the photos, there are 43 of them, to make it smaller. I don't know exactly what he will do or how much paper that would save. Again, the number of pages will probably vary depending on the printer settings. I have found that no matter how carefully I try to format a document, even small changes, like margin settings, can often cause a picture to jump to the next page and then everything I did after that is for naught.

Some of the plans on his site are only a few pages long. The lengths are posted for each of them so you can check them out there.

I am not any kind of expert on copyright, but I would suggest that those of you who are making such a big deal over it should visit his site and see just how things are presented there. It is structured like a BB, just like here. I do not think that anything appears there unless it is posted by a member. His e-mails that are sent out to the members who sign up for them do contain links to other sites. As he said, they contain one photo that is used for the link to that person's original post on another site and a short description of the item. I do not know if that is any kind of copyright infringement but if it is, then surely Google and many others are also guilty. I do know that he has offered to remove anything that the author asks to be taken down. So, if you object, just ask him to take it down.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          So they basically act as your "publication agent", perhaps not to the exclusion of other outlets.

That makes sense, and I would certainly agree to the plans sale deal if asked. I don't know how they select things they may want to sell plans for, nor how they get in contact, but obviously there is some method, as there ARE plans on the site.

The ones I saw seemed to be fairly simple plans, with maybe one sheet of plans and some other information. I don't know how complicated they want to get.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            ..... Jon pays you 70% of the purchase price for each sale. He uses Pay Pal to pay you so I imagine there will be some percentage there and I may wind up with 60% or even 50%.

Well THERE is the deal-breaker, right at the start. no paypal, not planning to open one.

Comment

I am not any kind of expert on copyright, but I would suggest that those of you who are making such a big deal over it.
              this and several other posts - wtf?

who has made a big deal about it? I asked about it and said I think it a bit sneaky copying your content onto a commercial site without the courtesy of asking first. to what mind is that making a big deal? No one seems to be ranting, Jerry went off on a side bar discussion and I said "collective sigh of relief from the scores of internet pirates" making fun of OT, but neither was directed at the thread topic.

The only big deal I see is those you making a big deal about a phantom making of a big deal
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Sigh,

Those of you that don't like it, google "copyright fair use", and then take note of the fact that everything is accredited to the original creator with links to the original content.
                -Dan S.
                dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by dan s View Post
                  Sigh,

Those of you that don't like it, google "copyright fair use", and then take note of the fact that everything is accredited to the original creator with links to the original content.
                  sigh, whats the point of that? Do you see someone saying anyone's broken a law? I think you mean credited....as a sidebar, some quick reading on fair use suggests crediting work can help a defense however does not make the use fair use.
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-18-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I have found that no matter how carefully I try to format a document, even small changes, like margin settings, can often cause a picture to jump to the next page and then everything I did after that is for naught.

Paul, a bit of a tangent here, but if you're using Word and perhaps other word processing programs, you can prevent that from happening most of the time. Right click on the picture, go to "more layout options" and tick the "lock anchor" box. That will pin it in place on the page. Sometimes ticking "allow overlap" helps prevent pictures interacting with each other and shooting all over the place. Reduces alot of the frustration in using pictures in Word

hth!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      sigh, whats the point of that? Do you see someone saying anyone's broken a law?
                      Some have gotten their panties in a bunch about it.

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      some quick reading on fair use suggests crediting work can help a defense however does not make the use fair use.
                      Every thing legal is one big grey area, and open to interpretation.
                      -Dan S.
                      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by dan s View Post
                        Some have gotten their panties in a bunch about it.
                        So say who if you're going to "sigh" at people because what they write is just so trying for you. What post is so over the top it sits in your mind as ones panties are in a knot?

Every thing legal is one big grey area, and open to interpretation.
                        The point being it is not a legal issue, at least to me. I doubt everything in your world is right/wrong base on legality - manners and ethics should be the primary drivers of social behaviour. I didn't see anyone "with their panties in a bunch" over whether it was legal or not - but you must have....... so who?
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-18-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post

If it comes to "legalities" can you afford to pursue a prosecution with all its inherent costs of money and time - or do you just not pursue it at all?

This is part of the reason that copyright on the web is mostly useless. Unless the item that has been "stolen" is of great enough value for the aggrieved party to take legal action then copyrighting something has no meaning.

The other part is that once on the web it can be anywhere, in any country or even "in the cloud". Many countries don't honor copyrights (or patents) from other countries so there is no legal avenue to take anyway, unless you have the juice to get your governments foreign affairs dept. to try and take action. Lots of luck on that. How do you think pirate's keep on going, they literally exist outside the law, American law anyway.

There are over 95,000,000 illegal downloads per day (as of a couple of years ago, may be more now) around the world and the Movie and recording artist industry (main targets) is basically helpless against it. They can't even sow it down, how is Joe Blow going to stop theft of his copyrighted material.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            This is part of the reason that copyright on the web is mostly useless. Unless the item that has been "stolen" is of great enough value for the aggrieved party to take legal action then copyrighting something has no meaning.

The other part is that once on the web it can be anywhere, in any country or even "in the cloud". Many countries don't honor copyrights (or patents) from other countries so there is no legal avenue to take anyway, unless you have the juice to get your governments foreign affairs dept. to try and take action. Lots of luck on that. How do you think pirate's keep on going, they literally exist outside the law, American law anyway.

There are over 95,000,000 illegal downloads per day (as of a couple of years ago, may be more now) around the world and the Movie and recording artist industry (main targets) is basically helpless against it. They can't even sow it down, how is Joe Blow going to stop theft of his copyrighted material.
                            It matters as soon as it is in the US, or sold to US customers, etc (and of course if it matters to you). A lawyer's letter is all it takes to make it known to the infringers, no "legal action" beyond that may be necessary. And, if one IS sent, then any further infringement is "wilful" with potentially a higher level of fine if sued.

If it is in china, forget about it, the chinese enforce what the officials are bribed to enforce, basically. There is apparently an international agreement on copyrights, which the US was one of the most recent signatories of. I am not certain of all the details, but reciprocal recognition of copyright is part of it, but may be an option to which not all have agreed..

Comment

I am not at all sure here but I do recall that sometime ago here it was said that if an item is on the net and is not copyrighted - or application made for it to be copyrighted within or by one calendar year?? - it becomes an item on/in the "Public Domain" item so far as copyright is concerned.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...sl#q=copyright

Comments/advice please.
                              Last edited by oldtiffie; 10-18-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=J Tiers;1074899]It matters as soon as it is in the US, or sold to US customers, etc (and of course if it matters to you).

And how is that known.

As I already posted the MIAA and RIAA can't stem the piracy flood that is happening in the US, just like every other country, how will you track something that belongs to yourself that may or may not be in the US. All the laws in the universe don't mean anything if they can't be enforced or enforced economically. It is practically impossible to tell if something has be downloaded from another country into the US unless it is so important that someone is willing to spend the money to track it IE: the government or big business. The little guy just doesn't have the resources to do that. If your copyrighted piece is downloaded by a torrent client then the source files could come out of dozens of countries simultaneously. If it hosted on a website that is in your country then you may have a chance if its worth the cost to you. Lawyers/legal fees aren't cheap.
                                Last edited by loose nut; 10-18-2016, 08:46 PM.
                                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X