semi OT - homemadtools.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
    I am not at all sure here but I do recall that sometime ago here it was said that if an item is on the net and is not copyrighted - or application made for it to be copyrighted within or by one calendar year?? - it becomes an item on/in the "Public Domain" item so far as copyright is concerned.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...sl#q=copyright

Comments/advice please.
    It probably varies a bit with which country the poster and 'downloader' are in, but in general, copyright automatically is attached to "something" once it is created, be it some text, a picture, or a drawing of a part. Then the copyright for that 'something' may be partially/fully assigned to another party when it is posted on the web, depending on the TOS of whatever website it is posted to. But the DEFAULT is that the creator retains the full copyright of the 'something' and must actively do something to assign the copyright to someone else, including into the public domain.

Comment

As the copyright owner, it's your problem to find infringers and notify them to stop. YOU are the interested party.

However, the customs service WILL stop importation of infringing items if they know about them, and have time.

The main problem with the RIAA and the movie industry is that their product has no physical manifestation to be sent. A file is transferred, and the deed is done. Not like a book, or painting, that are physical items, which is the sort of thing the copyright laws have been aimed at.

I am not at all sure here but I do recall that sometime ago here it was said that if an item is on the net and is not copyrighted - or application made for it to be copyrighted within or by one calendar year?? - it becomes an item on/in the "Public Domain" item so far as copyright is concerned.

Comments/advice please.
      You no longer "apply for" copyright, it is inherent. At one time you had to register in the US, and mark the copyrighted item with the three required pieces of info, but you no longer must do that, IIRC since 1978 for part of it, and since 1989 for the rest.

Go back and look at the legal guide link I posted.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Oh. OK.

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
        this and several other posts - wtf?

who has made a big deal about it? I asked about it and said I think it a bit sneaky copying your content onto a commercial site without the courtesy of asking first. to what mind is that making a big deal? No one seems to be ranting, Jerry went off on a side bar discussion and I said "collective sigh of relief from the scores of internet pirates" making fun of OT, but neither was directed at the thread topic.

The only big deal I see is those you making a big deal about a phantom making of a big deal
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I'll look into that. Thanks. But I suspect that things will still happen when you export it from Word as a pdf file.

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
          Paul, a bit of a tangent here, but if you're using Word and perhaps other word processing programs, you can prevent that from happening most of the time. Right click on the picture, go to "more layout options" and tick the "lock anchor" box. That will pin it in place on the page. Sometimes ticking "allow overlap" helps prevent pictures interacting with each other and shooting all over the place. Reduces alot of the frustration in using pictures in Word

hth!
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I suspect most here and else-where will just carry on as before/always and the status quo will remain as it was and is and is to remain.

Or in other words - the more things change the more it/they stay the same.

I'm all for the status quo.

Comment

If you want to retain some control over the images you post online, then you should look into steganography. It allows you to hide a message inside an image file. A program takes your image file and changes some of the pixels in a way that is not be detectable by the eye. Depending on the program and options, the data can survive cropping and also some image manipulation. Other people cannot see the message, even if they use the same software unless they know your password. I would do this in addition to a visible copyright notice in the image file.

If you ever need to contact a web site to have your image removed, you can always use the encoded data as proof of ownership. They can still choose to ignore you, but at least they will know that you are serious about your IP. Sometimes that is enough if they are in a country where copyright is taken seriously.

Comment

Comments/advice please.
                https://www.google.com/search?q=help...with+copyright
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

The main problem with the RIAA and the movie industry is that their product has no physical manifestation to be sent. A file is transferred, and the deed is done. Not like a book, or painting, that are physical items, which is the sort of thing the copyright laws have been aimed at.

you no longer "apply for" copyright, it is inherent. At one time you had to register in the US, and mark the copyrighted item with the three required pieces of info, but you no longer must do that, IIRC since 1978 for part of it, and since 1989 for the rest.

In these days of the internet there isn't much material that uses a copyright that has a physical form. Art, yes. Books, movies, music, software, construction plans or other CAD output etc are mostly digital these days, no physical form for customs to stop. It can also be simply and cheaply replicated in such large quantities that finding it all is impossible.
                  Once it is out there it is lost.

Not having to apply for a copyright, is that US or the whole world???
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

US.

But if ou follow many of the links, you will find that a lot of countries have an agreement to respect each other's copyrights, presumably whatever is valid in the originating country's legal system.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                    X