No announcement yet.

My ArtPrize entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I encountered this clock as a lover of Art Prize, and already emailed Weston (after needing to wait on being approved for the forum) gushing with enthusiasm over the quality of work and ingenious construction of the electronics.

I'm a Grand Rapids native, and we're dedicated to seeing as much of Art Prize as possible. I'm extremely impressed with this clock. There's few pieces that blow me away, but this is one of them. The juried selections were announced earlier this week, and one of the 3D selections -- now, this is an art piece that has impressed the jury so much that they excluded this clock -- is called Support Surfaces I, II, III, oh wait.... this is the entry referenced earlier in this thread. You have to see it to appreciate the absurdity:

https://www.artprize.org/64433

After eight years of Art Prize, Grand Rapids has become quite sophisticated about art, and we've always been a polite city, so the lack of negative comments doesn't surprise me. Really quality art does collect respect, the hilariously bad art has an earnest following (I LOVE the bad art, mostly bald eagles, US flags, "Christian" art) but outside the snooty art critics who do seem to believe that art is an elite field that should be closed to all but the select few, people are willing to live and let live.

So anyway, I thought I was a talented builder of point-to-point circuitry, but Weston's work puts my rat's nest builds to shame. If there's other P2P builders doing work like this, well, I'll be searching this forum for tips and techniques!

Comment

Beautiful work. You deserve a first place.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks to Ozeriik for the on-scene report and some insight into the Grand Rapids culture.

Here is the point-to-point circuitry Ozerik referred to:

Some circuits are easier to do point-to-point than others. I included some brass "leadframes" to support the circuitry. Everything is ultimately supported around the edges by a ring of 5/16" thick FR-4 glass/epoxy.

After Saturday I will know if my entry is in the running for a prize. Here is the leader board, my entry is entered in the 3D category, but hasn't made the leader board ... yet. :

http://www.artprize.org/leaderboard
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

They announced the top 20 for the final public vote this afternoon. My entry didn't make it. Notwithstanding, I spent the afternoon at the venue with my entry talking with attendees. Very enjoyable time and perhaps trying for a sale. My handout cards with my vote code have a little info on the back about Digital Machinist magazine and I encouraged people who might be interested to check it out - possibly expand the hobby.
          I will attend again next weekend and bring the piece home at the end of the last day.

Here are the finalists:

http://www.artprize.org/blog/artpriz...h-annual-event

Not what I would have chosen...

Comment

Going by the the blurbs on 4/5ths of the 'winners', if you'd have come up with a sheet saying it stood for the eternal struggle against time, you'd have won. Very few had the integrity to say 'it just looked cool', and very few of the others had even the slightest connection to the BS they said it represented.

I'm gonna start piling my trash in the front yard and say it's an art piece that symbolizes the wastefulness of consumerism, I may enter it in next years art prize

Comment

Weston:
              On reading from the last link you posted, I now realize what you were really up against. Many of the "pieces of art" were sponsored by several groups, all of which would have had some financial interest in the outcome. That would be the equivalent of organizing a bunch of shill-bidders to promote maximum return from an e-bay listing. Not really a level playing field!

Best of luck on selling your masterpiece.

Comment

ArtPrize entry postmortem

Well, ArtPrize has come and gone. My entry received huge praise from the attendees, but no prize. No sale, either.

The final outcome can be found here: http://www.artprize.org/leaderboard

Nonetheless, I found the experience to be quite positive and enjoyable, but I don't know if I will be able to come up with something for next year. This one is a tough act to follow.

Some of you asked about plans/drawings. I may put something together in the future, and the piece may make appearances at NAMES and Cabin Fever.

Comment

Enter the same clock again next year. Apparently none of the judges noticed it. You now have a year to come up with a timeless explanation of what it is or does and round up a large contingency to vote for it.
                  Last edited by Toolguy; 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Ozerik View Post
                    ..........now, this is an art piece that has impressed the jury so much that they excluded this clock -- is called Support Surfaces I, II, III, oh wait.... this is the entry referenced earlier in this thread. You have to see it to appreciate the absurdity:

https://www.artprize.org/64433

If there's anything that proves so many of the artsy fartsy crowd have their heads up their collective arses it's that piece of garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                      If there's anything that proves so many of the artsy fartsy crowd have their heads up their collective arses it's that piece of garbage.
                      Yes, absolutely unbelievable isn't it?
                      With a little bit of descriptive diarrhea in keeping with the tone of those accompanying the escapees from the dumpster in that link, and I too could have taken a shot at the art prize.

Just think, an old douglas fir chopping block, that germinated locally early in the last century, bungee corded to a stump and I too could have beaten Weston's incredible entry.

Considering the standards of the judging committee, having not been chosen is in itself praise of the highest degree.
                      I guess "art" and craftsmanship must be mutually exclusive.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                      X