Universal Bender (VIDEO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Bender (VIDEO)

Any time my bender(s) have popped up in videos I'd get questions. Recent request from
    the wife had me making a couple of plant stands for the house, thought I'd chat bending.

More than likely, nothing new here for you old hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXecCoQWgg

Nicely done - thanks for taking the time to put together an entertaining video!
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

Agree with Frank, very enjoyable video and commentary.

Comment

Another good one! Thanks Tony!
        Kansas City area

Comment

Tony, you made this bender? Do you have any of the dementions and hole spacing so that others can make there own bender?
          I'd have made one by now but would need plans for a bender of have one to measure from.
          Good vid as always.
          Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Very nicely done video.

I used to do a ton of bending on a Hossfeld, thousands of parts. At my job now I told my boss I would buy one when I found a good deal on one. One popped up on Ebay, nothing special a picture of the swing frame and a base and a price of $800 buy it now. A bit steep but I kept it on my watch list. A few weeks go by and I click on it again and I notice there are more pictures than I thought. When I get to about picture 12 out of 16 there is a picture of the largest collection of Hossfeld tooling I have ever seen! Excited I click on Buy It Now.

THEN I notice that it says "Local Pickup Only, will not ship" and I am in Maryland while the bender is in Northwest Ohio! In the meantime we need a large trailer for a pilot plant we are building. I find just the one we need on Ebay, but it is in Nebraska! Since the guy that owns it has a truck that can pull this beast we convince him the tow it down to us. I look at the map and see that the Hossfeld is about 50 miles off his path. So I offer him $250 to pick it up and he accepts. I get the Hossfeld and the 1000 lbs or so of dies and pick out all the ones I want. That would be every die in Hossfeld's largest kit, and 10 sets of angle bending dies, both in and out. Then I put all 12 sets of tube dies back on Ebay and got $2400 for them! Probably a major suck there!

Comment

The kid has more cool stuff than even I do!!
              How can that be?

Comment

It would (imho) count as a suck if the boss is your wife, in which case you made it machine, tooling, and money, but if your boss is a guy who can sack you I'm not so sure, I'll let someone else decide
                Lovely video but you set the bar high ( semi pun)
                Mark

Comment

Nothing wrong with using the lathe as a ring roller like that, I just would do it a lot closer to the chuck, a lot less stress on everything.

Comment

Thanks all.
                    Fastfire: I did. Google "hossfeld bender plans", you'll find a ton.
                    Gary: you def suck!

Comment

Another great video Tony. Thank you. I've got a hf baby hossfeld, but don't really use it much. I need to make some tubing dies for it, and now I want to make that attachment that goes on the top to make eyes like yours. that would be handy.

Edit: I remember seeing a guy who made a ring roller using the mill. two roller on the table, and another in the spindle. worked pretty slick from what i remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        Thanks all.
                        Fastfire: I did. Google "hossfeld bender plans", you'll find a ton.
                        Gary: you def suck!
                        That was too easy.

Thanks Tony!
                        Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

I have a Harbour Freight clone bender, but the book sucks on how to set it up. Any one know of a better book showing how to set it up? I spend more time trying to figure it out than bending it in the vise the old way.

Thanks Tony for the video.

Comment

Tony, were the frame and other components of your bender high-carbon steel that was through hardened or mild steel that was case hardened? What hardness? Was it painted, powder coated or what?

Anyway, nice bender and video. Good stuff.

Comment

true temp - check out the original hossfeld video and also the handful of videos hossfeld co. has on youtube. I think their general catalog illustrates all of the setups for their tooling, I'm sure its available online somewhere.

cryptrx - if memory serves the frame of my bender is 1040 and heat treated. heat treating doesn't do very much for 1040, but does a little. that said, I've used the bender a lot and all my holes are still round. my pins were pre-hardened 3/4" round stock. not sure how hard they are, but had to cut them with an angle grinder. I think they're only surface hardened, for what that's worth. Again, no wear or bend in the pins after years of use. I personally wouldn't put any paint or powder coat on it as that'd chip off and make quite the mess in no time flat.

Comment

Working...
                              X