Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spindle bearing adjustment SB 10" heavy

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie dumbass and need your help to get by lathe back in operation. I tried to adjust the spindle bearings to reduce some slop (.015). I removed the bearing cap and removes some shims . The spindle would not turn when the cap screws were snugged down, so I added some shims. In the process, the bearing spreader came out of its groove. I have a cam -lock spindle so I do not know how to remove the chuck base to allow access to slide the spreader back in the slot in the bearing. After adding shims or various sizes, the spindle will not turn unless the bearing cap screws are extremely loose, which I assume is due to the fact that the spreader is not installed properly. When I re-assemble without the spreader, the spindle turns OK. How do I get the spreader inserted?
    Not sure if the cam-lock base can be removed or not. If so, I should be able to slide the spreader in. I did a search online and someone said the cam-lock mount is machined as part of the spindle. However, it does have a few screws that look like they might have something to do with mounting it. Do not want to proceed unless I can be sure I am doing the right thing. I have made enough mistakes on this project already. The good news is the bearings and spreader do not appear to be damaged, at least to my untrained eye.
    Thanks for your help.
    Joe S

Well, I don't want to insult you, but that bearing spreader only comes out of its groove when a ham-fisted gorilla works on the machine. They are normally pretty tight, and the dovetail angle is such that that don't just fall out, they have to be pried out. This generally screws up the upper edge of the bearing. If you then re-assembled it with the expander on top of the bearings, and tightened down the cap, then you've really buggered up the bearing.

Fortunately, can salvage the mess, but it requires pulling the spindle out of the headstock, and possibly disassembling the spindle afterwards. You need to do some searches on this procedure at http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

allan

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Allen.
      When we removed the bearing caps very little force was required, so it surprised me to find the spreader attached to the underside of the cap. At any rate, I have no one to blame but myself. somehow, the spreader and the bearings are not damaged. Don't ask me how that happened but it shows no sign of damage. Will follow the link you provided and proceed accordingly.
      Thanks!
      Joe

Comment

If it took very little force to lift the bearing cap, then it might be that the previous owner was the one who pulled the spreader through the bearing. Not criticizing, I did it myself.

When metal is deformed in a certain way, such as the case of pulling an expander through the ebaring sleeve, to much extent the damage can be reversed by light tapping in the opposite direction. You can "place" the metal back where it came from, minus a little loss to compression. If you ding your mill table for instance, don't stone or file all that raised material off. Use a hammer with a polished face (or a punch with a polished face) and push the raised area back into the low spots. Then stone in case there is a tiny spot you missed.

Comment

Working...
        X