Drill Press Vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Vise

I was playing around with my new drill press vise yesterday, and built a little part in the process that is sorta cute!

The vise itself is a really cool thing, I had seen them before for use when freehand cutting stuff on a bandsaw but had never grasped the utility of adapting one for use on a drill press. I don't know how many times I have replaced the knobs on my other little drill press vise when I was too lazy to tie it down and it got away from me and bashes the knobs against the column protector.

Anyhow, I was working on finding the best location for the anchor clamp. Of course all locations had some drawback, so I ended up with two, they should work for most cases.

When using a sliding t-bar handle, it always seems that the handle is never in the right angular quadrant to allow for the easiest pull to tighten it. This wouldn't be such a problem if I had just used a hex head bolt and box end wrench, but I was already started down the t-handle path so.......

You can use shims under the head to alter the "tightening zone" but the shims wear, the threads wear, and the "tightening zone" is once again in an awkward position. Plus, it is such a mundane solution.

I thought about altering how far the stud screws into the handle, but this doesn't change the angular position of the handle. If the threads on the stud were a different pitch where it screws into the handle, that would alter the angular relationship of the t-bar to the axial length of the threads on the stud.

So rather than make a custom stud with two different pitches on each end, I made an adapter out of some 3/4" - 10 all thread that screws into the handle, with a 1/2" - 20 tapped hole for the stud to screw into.

Then I milled a hex on the end of the adapter to allow locking the adapter/stud combination in the handle body using a set screw that is drilled and tapped in the handle body.

The photos explain all!

Dave

Last edited by becksmachine; 09-23-2016, 01:23 AM.

More photos.

Last edited by becksmachine; 09-23-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Ever hear of adjustable clamp handles?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ndle&FORM=IGRE

Just push the button and position the handle where you want it. I love them.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

I like the hex on the adapter to provide a seat for the set screw to bear against. I haven't come across that approach before. Some might quibble about the redundancy - let 'em.

Is there a threaded hole at the very edge of the table, adjacent to the T-slot? Is this and the hole inboard that appears to have an insert the 'two locations' mentioned in the OP? The outboard location seems so close to the edge I puzzled over whether there is 1) a bottom bracket that braces in the drip edge, 2) a threaded hole on the table surface or a third possibility which seems to improbable to mention further.

I see the utility of the vises and what I imagine are your shop-built jaws.

Some time spent on Heinrich's site suggests that your table clamping devise is attached to the arm of a #13-WH Safety Drill Vise. Am I right that you made the jaws, or are they a catalog item? As depicted, they look very useful for clamping things in a variety of positions.

The other vise appears to be a #3-TS 3" Flat Side Quick Grip Drill Press Vise. No cast lugs/mounting on the sides like the SV & PA models shown on the company website.

That set up is going to make drilling more pleasant.

Comment

I have the same vise and find it very quick and easy to set up and use. I haven't made an anchor clamp yet - I just rotate the back arm so it is positioned against the column on the side that resists rotation (the left side of the column). It doesn't prevent the work lifting up but so far that has not been enough of a problem for me to make the time to build an anchor clamp. The jaws on becksmachine's look the same as mine although a bit thicker. Perhaps because it is new and mine is of unknown vintage.

I do like how he has the anchor bracket on the side instead of the back of the table. That keeps the guide rods going side to side where they are less likely to grab you as you walk by the press and go flying to the ground or (if anchored) take a chunk of flesh out of your side.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
            I like the hex on the adapter to provide a seat for the set screw to bear against. I haven't come across that approach before. Some might quibble about the redundancy - let 'em.

Is there a threaded hole at the very edge of the table, adjacent to the T-slot? Is this and the hole inboard that appears to have an insert the 'two locations' mentioned in the OP? The outboard location seems so close to the edge I puzzled over whether there is 1) a bottom bracket that braces in the drip edge, 2) a threaded hole on the table surface or a third possibility which seems to improbable to mention further.

I see the utility of the vises and what I imagine are your shop-built jaws.

Some time spent on Heinrich's site suggests that your table clamping devise is attached to the arm of a #13-WH Safety Drill Vise. Am I right that you made the jaws, or are they a catalog item? As depicted, they look very useful for clamping things in a variety of positions.

The other vise appears to be a #3-TS 3" Flat Side Quick Grip Drill Press Vise. No cast lugs/mounting on the sides like the SV & PA models shown on the company website.

That set up is going to make drilling more pleasant.

Just can't get anything past you guys can I?

Is there a threaded hole at the very edge of the table, adjacent to the T-slot? Is this and the hole inboard that appears to have an insert the 'two locations' mentioned in the OP?
            Yes, I drilled and tapped two holes at the rear of the table for the anchor clamp bolt. As the table is somewhat thin in these locations, I made the holes oversize to allow installation of a threaded insert. Hopefully this will allow a longer period of time between when the threads for the clamp bolt get stripped and allow for replacement when they do.

The hole in the corner of the table is as close to the edge/corner of the table as I could drill with the spindle without unbolting the table from the machine. Because this hole was drilled with the spindle of the machine, it is fairly square to the surface of the table. The hole closer to the column was drilled and tapped freehand, it's perpendicularity suffers somewhat.

Yes, that is the vise, and yes I made the jaws.

The supplied jaws had a much smaller step. I thought this was less secure and didn't allow for a very deep "V" for holding cylindrical work in a vertical orientation.

Because it takes about 5 seconds to completely remove the clamped down vise from the table, and approximately the same amount of time for re-installation, it is likely that this will contribute to increased wear and tear on the brooms and brushes used to clean the table, as sweeping with a vise mounted on a drill bit held in the chuck will occur with less frequency.

Dave

Comment

Any modification that increases wear on bristles of table brushes and floor brooms is a good one.

What would you say in favour or against a variation where instead of threading the location holes, they are left as drilled and a Ball-Lok style of Pip Pin/Quick Release is used to anchor the vise arm? Threading offers utility for other purposes, QR pins have their benefits. Could there be much vise lift that positive clamping off near the middle/end of the fulcrum arm would help much with?

I know what you mean about the tables: the undersides of some are cast in a manner to reduce the amount of mass. Aside from stiffening ribs, the bottom contour closely follows the top and the end result is a table that isn't nearly as meaty as appearance might otherwise suggest.

Comment

I should build a couple of sturdy column protectors like yours, too.

Comment

Never used that type vise on a drill press. The big one I have had it as an option, but I didn't get it.

What do they do against the work lifting up? That seems to be as much of an issue as the part spinning.

I just use a regular quick action DP vise bolted to the table of an X-Y setup, so it is about as proof against spinning AND lifting as I can make it.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    I just use a regular quick action DP vise bolted to the table of an X-Y setup, so it is about as proof against spinning AND lifting as I can make it.
                    How much of the vertical space is eaten by your X-Y table, Jerry? Any photos, by chance?
                    Last edited by MichaelP; 09-23-2016, 03:53 PM.
                    Mike
                    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Dave how did you attach the all thread to the 3/4" adapter?

Your jaws look great!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                        How much of the vertical space is eaten by your X-Y table, Jerry? Any photos, by chance?
                        With 4 to 5 feet of vertical space, I just don't care very much about that. The table sets a little lower and all is well. But maybe 6 inches, dunno. Photo I'd likely have to take.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Got it. Thank you.
                          Mike
                          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Nice!I am so stealing that idea!
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by dockterj View Post
                              Dave how did you attach the all thread to the 3/4" adapter?

Your jaws look great!
                              Hi dockterj, Thanks! It is amazing how fast I can make a BIG mess with aluminum!

The 3/4" all thread piece just has a 1/2" - 20 drilled and tapped hole in it.

I just screwed the 1/2" piece tight against the incomplete thread in the blind hole to retain it, you could use Loctite instead.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X