X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Chevy and more Gm going to china

I hope this is a joke. All i ever owned was GM cars and trucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

I don't know. Isn't Buick the best selling large car in China? How would you feel if sales in China kept GM afloat so they could continue to make some cars in the US?

Mike

Comment

The video is from 2012, and seems to be politically motivated with mentions of Obama and Romney (while Trump and Hillary are off the radar). Here are some facts (as far as they are purported to be):

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/is-...-china-motors/

The video seems to have a very strong ant-Communist theme. It laments how powerful government officials and Communist upper echelons of industry are decimating the hard-working middle class by encouraging purchases of Buicks and Cadillacs as status symbols. That could be equally applied to the US.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

The relevant question now is,will the Chicom bosses continue support GM's unfunded pension losses?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...s-pension-plan

The answer will be no.

Will GM keep it's US plants open in the long term?The answer to that one is most likely no as well.

http://qz.com/594984/the-secret-hist...inese-bailout/

The tell tale is what has happened elsewhere-

The importation of the Buick Envision will be the first major US-market impact of GM’s Chinese realignment, but at GM’s outposts in Korea and Australia the pain is being felt far more directly. In 2013 GM announced that it would end all production at its Australian division Holden, replacing the fiercely independent development and production center with a lineup of imported models. As late as 2003, GM executives said Holden’s last unique vehicle the Commodore—which was imported to the US as the 2004-6 Pontiac GTO—could be exported to China; by 2017 that car will in fact be made in China and exported to Australia, where all that remains of Holden is a sales and service operation.
        GMDAT was renamed GM Korea in 2011 “to reflect its heightened status in global operations of GM” according to GM’s official announcement, but the name change seemed to have the exact opposite effect. Having once provided the core technology behind many of GM’s most successful China-market products, GM Korea has lost its status as GM’s emerging-market “home room” to Shanghai-GM’s new joint emerging-market vehicle platform. In 2013, when GM decided to stop selling the Chevrolet brand in Europe, a market that accounted for more than 20% of GM Korea’s production disappeared almost overnight. Having kept GMDAT afloat for years with billions in Korea Development Bank loans, Koreans now find themselves swallowing bitter layoffs and preparing for likely plant closures.

The reason they haven't begun transferring physical assets across the Pacific so far,is because their US operations allow them access to technology via GM manufacturing partnerships they otherwise would not have access to.This includes advanced manufacturing and even defense technology.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The new C7 Corvette, "America's Sports Car", uses this fuel door lock solenoid.

Notice the bottom line on the tag.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Assembled in China *with parts and materials sourced from one of the following countries* Mexico,Honduras,India,Shri Lanka,Indonesia,Brasil,Ecuador,Pakistan,Spain,Gree ce,France,Turkey,Cuba,and a few more that don't have a name because the latest junta has yet to cement control over the local militias.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I've owned GM cars for many years. Always Ford trucks. Both have been a mixture of US and import parts for many years now. I do hate to see that production is moving away from the US, however it's a world wide economy. It makes me wonder what the future of our next generations will be. Will Americans standard of living have to be lowered to the level of the emerging countries in order to compete globally?
              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
              Oregon, USA

Comment

The ting that bothers me here i am a loyal Gm consumer and now there is this chance of having china made us cars, all the employees will be out of a job.
                I guess i may have to consider Ford. As far as the Corvette i all ways owned one had as many 3 at one time. I was thinking of buying a new twin turbo. Not if china is involved may look at the Ford GT

Comment

The ting that bothers me here i am a loyal Gm consumer and now there is this chance of having china made us cars, all the employees will be out of a job.
                  I guess i may have to consider Ford. As far as the Corvette i all ways owned one had as many 3 at one time. I was thinking of buying a new twin turbo. Not if china is involved may look at the Ford GT

Comment

GEP are you going to hold out for the engine mid-ship model?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                      I've owned GM cars for many years. Always Ford trucks. Both have been a mixture of US and import parts for many years now. I do hate to see that production is moving away from the US, however it's a world wide economy. It makes me wonder what the future of our next generations will be. Will Americans standard of living have to be lowered to the level of the emerging countries in order to compete globally?
                      Look around at what has happened over the last few decades. Steel production industry in North America? A thin shadow of what it used to be. Automotive production? Just look at what has happened in "Motor City". Lowered standard of living? Look at the curve for folks that are living below the poverty line for the last few decades and how it's ramping upwards.

I hate to say it but the soap bubble is expanding. It's a slow process but it's happening. North America can only run on momentum for so long and then it'll bust. The only way to avoid it may be to lower the wage levels of some trades in North America to more closely match the rest of the world so that some of the plants and work can come back to these shores.
                      Last edited by BCRider; 09-24-2016, 01:31 PM.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                        GEP are you going to hold out for the engine mid-ship model?
                        That may be the one to have

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          Look around at what has happened over the last few decades. Steel production industry in North America? A thin shadow of what it used to be. Automotive production? Just look at what has happened in "Motor City". Lowered standard of living? Look at the curve for folks that are living below the poverty line for the last few decades and how it's ramping upwards.

I hate to say it but the soap bubble is expanding. It's a slow process but it's happening. North America can only run on momentum for so long and then it'll bust. The only way to avoid it may be to lower the wage levels of some trades in North America to more closely match the rest of the world so that some of the plants and work can come back to these shores.
                          Yes most auto parts are made in china, what a shame.

Comment

And possibly the last to go to china - I know the high end bike frames kinda work that way - the performance flagships are the last to go due to people still willing to pay the extra it takes to keep them built here ---- Im interested in hearing about the New Vette esp. the engine mid-ship one - not that I could ever afford one but one can always dream and yeah same goes for the Ford GT

Comment

Boomer
                              I had a 1972 LT1 corvette i bought new for $ 5,200.00 that was the last year for solid lifter cams when that baby ran it sounded like a sports car. I sold it about 7 years ago for 8 times more. I didn't have air because i wanted all the power i could get on the wheel's, i miss that car. So now i am ready to buy my last one new. My wife said i was nuts because of my age, i told her well i am still breathing.

Comment

Working...
                              X