Wat OT----Tilt up garage door install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wat OT----Tilt up garage door install

I'm putting the final touches on my new shop exterior, and now it's time to install the door.
    I got the door free and don't have any installation instructions, and it was already removed and sitting in a shed with all (?) the parts and springs.
    Asking if anyone has one of this type and would provide some pics to speed up the installation process--I'm sure I could puzzle it out in time, but pics will be a great timesaver.
    I've already researched on line and the info I found was sketchy,ambigious and mostly trying to sell me a new garage door.
    I can send pics of what I have if they would be helpful, I don't know how to post them on the forum.
    Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    It should be Way OT, of course, can't seem to edit the heading.
    olcop
    Last edited by olcop; 10-02-2016, 10:43 AM.

To get a wider audience you might find pictures on the 'net of the type of mechanism and post a link here to save you having to take your own pictures and work out how to display them.

Comment

Wow that brings back memories - when I first moved here my place had a tilt up - countered by two boxes of rocks on each side - all kinds of cables and pulleys which I still have,,,

that thing went out with the trash the first year could not wait to get an insulated clopay

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
        To get a wider audience you might find pictures on the 'net of the type of mechanism and post a link here to save you having to take your own pictures and work out how to display them.
        That's my problem, I can't find anything that looks like what I have----and, I have been searching for several weeks.
        olcop

Comment

[QUOTE=A.K. Boomer;1072407]Wow that brings back memories - when I first moved here my place had a tilt up - countered by two boxes of rocks on each side - all kinds of cables and pulleys which I still have,,,

that thing went out with the trash the first year could not wait to get an insulated clopay[/QUOTE
          Gee, that was really helpful, If I could afford a Clopay do you think I would be reaching out for help on how to install a used door?
          olcop

Comment

Any way you could post pics of the parts you have for it? Would at least get every one brainstorming on how it's supposed to go together, or perhaps someone would recognize it.

I've lived at three places that had single section doors, and each was set up differently. One had triangular braces on each side with counterweights connected to the bottom. Another had a single track and springs for the top, with levers on the side. The third used a track and weights, but had rollers on top and bottom each side, that track, except for being heavier gauge was almost identical to sectional overhead doors.

Edit: the single track one was centered on top and was a heavy 2" pipe. When I parked my truck in any of them I had to back in because the door would hit the cap if I didn't. But they were old and small garages.
            Last edited by kendall; 10-02-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
              Any way you could post pics of the parts you have for it? Would at least get every one brainstorming on how it's supposed to go together, or perhaps someone would recognize it.

I've lived at three places that had single section doors, and each was set up differently. One had triangular braces on each side with counterweights connected to the bottom. Another had a single track and springs for the top, with levers on the side. The third used a track and weights, but had rollers on top and bottom each side, that track, except for being heavier gauge was almost identical to sectional overhead doors.

Edit: the single track one was centered on top and was a heavy 2" pipe. When I parked my truck in any of them I had to back in because the door would hit the cap if I didn't. But they were old and small garages.
              Yes, I can and will do that---will try to do so today.
              Thanks,
              olcop

Comment

A quick google images of Clopay which I assume is a premium USA mfr showed hundreds of only closed doors. So I think you are doing better with one that actually opens . Is a 'tilt up' also a special design not a regular up-and-over which is easy enough to insulate with eps? It's just the sealing along the bottom that is a problem with all doors.

Comment

[QUOTE=olcop;1072431]
                  Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  Wow that brings back memories - when I first moved here my place had a tilt up - countered by two boxes of rocks on each side - all kinds of cables and pulleys which I still have,,,

that thing went out with the trash the first year could not wait to get an insulated clopay[/QUOTE
                  Gee, that was really helpful, If I could afford a Clopay do you think I would be reaching out for help on how to install a used door?
                  olcop
                  Your right im sorry was not thinking what id do if I had to use it - the clopay was only 200 bucks but if I had to keep the other I would have just oiled up all the pulleys and stuff,

can't totally remember the config. all's I know is when you lifted the bottom of it it swung out and the boxes of rocks would start to move down from about 6 feet and end up on the ground when the door was fully open, now that im thinking about this I really don't know how they got this done - a simply hinge would not work - the top of the door went in as the bottom went out yet the entire door ended up horizontal overhead,,, there was no rails to speak of that I remember or at least I don't have any and would not have thrown then out, but it must have had some kind of way of keeping it all in check,

I might just have to try and find out how they did that for my own curiosity

Comment

A quick google images of Clopay which I assume is a premium USA mfr showed hundreds of only closed doors. So I think you are doing better with one that actually opens . Is a 'tilt up' also a special design not a regular up-and-over which is easy enough to insulate with eps? It's just the sealing along the bottom that is a problem with all doors.
                    A tilt-up door is one without hinged sections. The whole door moves as one, the upper end goes up and back like a sectional, but the rest "tilts up" and follows it. An old design, they were common when I was a kid, but pretty much all of them got replaced since, with sectionals.

I think some had rails, but only 4 rollers, two at the top, and two about in the middle. Others had some sort of swinging lever setup.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-03-2016, 09:36 AM.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Baz,
                      i have an old and apparantly obsolete tilt up door--it is not sectional, (i've installed numerous roll up doors) nor am I concerned with the bottom seal---I am looking for installation instructions for a tilt up door that I got just for picking it up, and it was removed when I picked it up, therefore I didn't see how it was mounted---I've searched on line to no avail for instructions, I was hoping that another member might have one and could share some pics with me of how it is installed.----I want to install a door, not insulate a door.
                      olcop

Comment

olcop does it have levers attached? JT mentioned that and I think this is how my old door was getting it done, they are "wobbly" as all hell when using them - you have to kinda balance them sideways or they will hit on the outer structure and stuff.

Comment

Installation instructions are going to vary slightly from one manufacturer to another.
                          You did not mention if it was "jamb" hardware or "track" hardware.
                          Jamb hardware is mounted to the door jambs and the door and allows the door to swing or hinge up using extension springs for counter balance.
                          Track hardware has a vertical track and a horizontal track on each side of the door and either extension springs or torsion springs.
                          The bottom of the door has a guide roller in the vertical track and the top of the door has a roller in the horizontal track.

Both are one piece tilt up style doors,but are significantly different in operation and room requirements and restrictions.
                          A one piece with track hardware does not interfere with a vehicle parked in front of the door, where as a jamb hardware type has to have 3-4 feet clearance in front of the door to open.

Home D used to and may still carry replacement parts for garage doors and may be a quick source of information . If not then a local service co. might talk to you without trying to sell you anything, but liability issues may get in the way

National Door Supply in Texas or Holmes in California could probably point you in the right direction as far as installation specifics.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by olcop View Post
                            I'm putting the final touches on my new shop exterior, and now it's time to install the door.
                            I got the door free and don't have any installation instructions, and it was already removed and sitting in a shed with all (?) the parts and springs.
                            Asking if anyone has one of this type and would provide some pics to speed up the installation process--I'm sure I could puzzle it out in time, but pics will be a great timesaver.
                            I've already researched on line and the info I found was sketchy,ambigious and mostly trying to sell me a new garage door.
                            I can send pics of what I have if they would be helpful, I don't know how to post them on the forum.
                            Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
                            It should be Way OT, of course, can't seem to edit the heading.
                            olcop
                            When I was a teenager, we had a 2 stall garage with a 16' wide one piece door like you describe. It tilted and the bottom came out, away from the garage, and went up and into the garage. One of my chores, in the winter, was to go out and get all the snow and ice away from the door. My Dad had to go to work and he didn't want to fight with the door.

The door had 2 wheels at the top and 2 arms that attached to the bottom (when closed) of the door and pivoted near the center (vertically). There was a spring on each side to assist with lifting the weight of the door (it was wood and very heavy).

Without pics, or a very detailed description of the parts, it's near impossible to offer a useful response.

Note: There may be a Mfg. name stamped into one/some of the metal parts.....could be helpful.
                            Last edited by Blackfoot; 10-03-2016, 12:45 PM. Reason: Add note

Comment

Looks like Home D still sells kits, if this is what you have H.D. should have instructions with the kits you could probably get a look at.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/E900-Univ...00-R/205510959

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X