Wat OT----Tilt up garage door install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,
    I've got the pics, but haven't had time to post them yet----I'm busy prepping for Hurricain Matthew---But I will try to get to them today.
    olcop

Comment

olcop
      The link flylow posted of the tilt door made in my town is very expensive The hardware is mostly used on air craft hanger doors.I know the owner in person.

Comment

Hey Guys,
        I've got the pics loaded on my tablet, but can't figure out photobucket.
        Just asking if one of you has photobucket, and I could email the pics to you, and you post them for me. I'd need your email addy of course.
        Thanks
        olcop

Comment

Originally posted by olcop View Post
          Boomer,
          It does not have any levers attached, the entire lot of hardware I got with the door consists of two overhead tracks, two channels about 3 ft long with a pivoting attachment on each of them, and two springs---I'll try to post pics later today to see if anyone can help identify the door I have.
          olcop
          OK now we have some info to work with. The horizontal channels need to be mounted from the top of the door frame and will need a hanger down from a rafter at their inside end. There should be some small wheels or a plastic slider on the door itself top corners to slide along these channels.
          Next there should be some wheels on the door about 1/3 the way up that run in the vertical channels which are fixed from that level up to the top of the frame.
          The long end of the lever attaches to the bottom of the door, the pivot point is about halfway up the frame, and the spring goes from the short end of the lever down to the base of the frame so that when the door is being closed the lever goes down stretching the spring. This is what compensates for the weight of the door. When the door is closed the stretched spring is almost in line with the lever making it neutral in effect. as the bottom of the door opens the lever moves towards horizontal so the spring is providing max leverage to help lift the bottom of the door.
          These springs can be a bit dangerous. I prefer to run a cable from the wheel that is part way down the door over a pulley to a weight.
          the mechanism is shown here http://www.henderson-garage-door-cen...-garage-doors/
          Last edited by Baz; 10-07-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,
            we got smacked hard by hurricane Matthew--lost two trees, both of which fell across the driveways, and 1 of them hit my grape arbor dead center & crushed it to the ground----
            I'll be back up to speed in a few days, and will try to figure out photobucket and post the pics of the hardware----but, my family is all safe, warm and dry, and, I'm very thankful for that.
            olcop

Comment

Good news about the family! Everything else is just "stuff". I hope there wasn't too much damage though.
              Kansas City area

Comment

The link I posted start at $6000 & up, just posted because after these 1 pc flip up garage doors that never woeked that well as garage doors now work great with some changes & hyd power.
                Ideal door made the ones from the '60s & still do, I just hope they work better now but it was possibly installation which it is in most cases either by know it all contractors or hack contractors. We used to sell yard barn kits that used plywood templates & clear directions to people who never picked up a hammer & they tirned out great. Everyone a "pro DIYer or a contractor built was a total nightmare as they never read the directions or used the patterns ecause they "knew too much" they'res a lesson in there somewhere. http://www.idealdoorgaragedoors.com/
                Last edited by flylo; 10-11-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Good to hear about the family. Have a few friends and relatives that were in the way of that hurricane, ironically, a grandson named Mathew that I always called hurricane....

Keep us posted!

Comment

On posting photos; it is really fairly easy with just a few steps.

First, open a Photobucket account. Without an account, you can not upload any photos.

Second, go to the sticky thread that is listed at the top of page one of this forum:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Posting-Photos

It explains how to upload a photo to your Photobucket account and how to get the best link to that photo after it is there. DO scroll down to post #8 which I added some time ago. Ignore everything before post #8: that stuff is outdated. Post #8 explains the four, easy steps for doing this, with photo illustrations and I believe it is still up to date.

If you still have trouble, send me a PM with your e-mail address and we will go from there.
                    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 10-11-2016, 11:57 PM.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Guys,
                      I think I found a solution: Actually, my wife came up with the idea: I located some hinges for a roll up door and bought 4 rollers from lowes, and I'll use the track that I have and convert it to a roll aside door attaching the hinges and rollers to a convenient angle that was attached to the door as a header, and mounting the track on the outside shop wall.
                      I appreciate all your suggestions and information, and, I still haven't figured out photobucket so I can't even send you all a pic when it's finished. But, I believe it will work fine
                      olcop

Comment

You can use sliding barn door track if you rolling it to the side that way no side load on the rollers.

Comment

Working...
                        X