Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baileigh PL-1022VS lathe missing parts - thoughts on how to proceed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hazmat View Post
    Seeking the collective wisdom - should I pay the piper on replacement parts? Sell the lathe and keep looking? Make my own gears (will need cutter, dividing head etc. estimate >$600) Alternate sources for gears? (Grizzly has change gears from $12 -$20 each for similar sized lathe, unknown if same pitch[.]
    -Getting back to the meat of the questions...

First off, you got a good deal, assuming nothing else is damaged or broken. $200 is cheap enough you can put a bit of money into it and still be ahead of the game.

But, that said, you will eventually find that having to constantly shuffle physical gears is a hassle, and if you do enough work with the machine, will soon want a proper quickchange box. Thus, I would recommend continuing your search for such a machine, [/b]while[/b] you utilize this machine as best you can.

The gears should be close enough to standard sizes (one would presume, anyway) that I would look around for alternate suppliers, and exhaust all such avenues before opting to make my own. (And that's said as someone already set up to cut gears. ) Your first order of battle is to properly and positively determine the pitch or module, and you second order is to determine how many others you'll need to produce the desired range.

Some of those gears 'flip over', so you may need fewer than you think.

As for the missing chucks and steady, while regrettable, that's kind of to be expected. Loose parts always seem to go missing whether it's socks in the laundry or that last puzzle piece. Having to "tool up" a lathe- or any other machine tool- is generally part of the game. While it's nice to have it fully tooled up and ready to go, you can rarely find them that way- and especially not at that kind of price.

I have to say, though, that while I'm certainly no expert on import machines, I've never seen a chuck mounted that way. It might be tricky to find one of those as a replacement, but as noted earlier, similar machines may be available through other suppliers, and spare chucks might be found there.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Check here...Matt sells a version of it that is identical with the exception of an upgraded apron to provide power feeds...if you are really lucky he may have a damaged unit...

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

Comment

That does look like same version. Upgraded apron also includes a thread dial. MSRP Price is competitive with the Baileigh w/o the upgrades.

Originally posted by 1200rpm View Post
        Check here...Matt sells a version of it that is identical with the exception of an upgraded apron to provide power feeds...if you are really lucky he may have a damaged unit...

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html

Comment

Use the lathe as is until you find a better one. Or sell it to someone who would be pleased as punch to finally have a lathe.

My first lathe was a 1926 South Bend (+/- 3yrs, SB did not have records back that far for the particular model), 11inch swing, 3 jaw and no other tooling. I had it for the better part of 10 yrs until I bought my worn out Clausing (and used the SB to make all the lathe turned bits needed to repair the Clausing). I never had a steady rest, live center, 4-jaw,..... for the SB.
          Metro Detroit

Comment

Working...
          X