Where besides MSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where besides MSC

Ok, now that Enco is kaput, and MSC has really ticked me off. Where to go.

Case in point, I need an drill chuck arbor, Enco would have given me 3-4 options; cheep import to Albrecht. I tried McMaster Carr, they only list one option $20, I don't know if it's a cheap import from India or a quality brand.

Where do you guys go for selection and prices.

Thanks
    Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Originally posted by Mike Hunter View Post
    I tried McMaster Carr, they only list one option $20, I don't know if it's a cheap import from India or a quality brand.

Thanks
    It's a cheap import. I bought a couple of them a few months ago. But then again so are a lot of other items I've gotten from McMaster in the last year or so. Disappointing to say the least when you have no way of knowing before hand.

Comment

Well, HSM forum sponsor Victor Machinery Exchange is a place to check first. I've purchased from VME a couple of times now, most recently buying selections of the remaining machine files Victor offers/ed. I was pleased.

(I will twist the knife yet again to recommend NOT buying from Travers.)

What kinds of goods do you have in mind?

Comment

Highpower. Does McMaster respond to requests to identify Country of Origin, perhaps even disclose Mfr/Brand on request?

Comment

Eddie

Yes I’ve used Victor in the past, mostly for specialty taps.
          Kinda looking for a place like Enco, where I can have a selection, like the drill arbor, Enco had them starting at $8 for the cheap import all the way to Albrecht at $45, and several in between Jacobs for $14 etc.

I like Starrett pin punches esp. in 1/16 & 1/8, use to buy them by the box from Enco, Same with Nicolson files. Enco had some very good 3/8 dovetail cutters, made in Japan, not super cheap but a good value.

MSC has P me off, with these flakey “Deals” I want to support a smaller company, as long as they have selection and pricing.
          Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

MariTool and Western Tool & Supply are my go-to places since Enco's demise. Both offer superb customer service. Western's prices are surprisingly good, as if I am getting the discount that I would have gotten from MSC had I been a mega-volume customer, which I am not.

Comment

Hi,

Check Amazon. They often have a range of quality/price to choose from.

Much of my tool and tooling purchases are going there now.

Dalee
              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

You can try KBC Tools............. just watch out for the crap made in India. They like to slip that stuff in sometimes.

JL...............

Comment

Local to me, and who I deal with is T&S Tool & Supply. I quit with Enco and the other mail order houses long ago, when I need something, their prices are competitive and they offer a choice between import and made in USA.

You will be dealing with a real person on the phone who is knowledgeable about tooling, not an order taker. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.tstool.com/default.aspx?p...rpages/map.htm
                  Jim H.

Comment

Production tool is really good.

http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2HOME

Most of the suppliers are selling Asian crap now, the better ones still sell the good stuff.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

A couple more...

Travers Tool
                      KBC
                      Amazon
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Isn't Travers part of MSC

Comment

I really like Penn Tool out of New Jersey.

http://www.penntoolco.com/

I also really like KBC tools.

http://www.kbctools.com/

--Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

I'm still getting MSC flyers like always with the Enco logo on it and prices to match, got one 3 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              Isn't Travers part of MSC
                              No. Maybe you're thinking of J&L which MSC purchased.
                              Mike
                              Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X