Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More fun building a up a new shop than using it ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside influences in one's life can make huge changes in one's interests. The death of a spouse, divorce, death of other family members, financial losses, health changes and more, all can affect mood, interests and evoke mild forms of depression without one even realizing it is occurring. For instance, I am one who used to love to fish the flats. After a very nasty divorce I haven't been interested in my boat or fishing for over 15 years, and my rotten ex didn't even participate in my fishing hobby which I developed years before we met. Why the change? I really have no idea. I don't believe it to be depression, after 10 years of single life I remarried to a wonderful woman and couldn't be happier. We have numerous common interests as well as individual interests, and it all works just fine.
    The point is that major life changes can cause major interest changes for some reason, and the two don't even need to be related. No doubt there is a psychologist out there that can explain the cause, but the most important thing isn't the cause it's that you still have interests and a zest for life. Nothing says you won;t come back to machining one day, any more than anything says I won't go back to finding flats fishing appealing. I've kept my boat for that very reason, and the reality that I couldn't get what I paid for it in any case. It's there if and when I want it. When it becomes a burden I'll rid myself of it.

Comment

.... It's the journey, not the destination.....
      Truth be told this is a big part of it for me as well. And while I don't have anything stressful in my life which I need to escape from I do enjoy just being in the shop and building things. It may be a project or it may be a some bit of tooling for the machine shop or wood shop. But the key is that it's time in the shop and using the skills I've learned that I enjoy.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
        .... Pretty much everyone who has seen them has asked why I bought/need them. ....
        That "need" question.....

I always tell people that they do not NEED anything but food and water, plus clothes if the climate is colder. Everything else is a "want", and not a "need". That generally shuts them up.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          That "need" question.....

I always tell people that they do not NEED anything but food and water, plus clothes if the climate is colder. Everything else is a "want", and not a "need". That generally shuts them up.
          My answer... "well, I know a guy that collects petrified shark's teeth." At least I can do something with my hobby, if it ever came down to it. Besides... how many people that collect stamps do it to mail letters? Are people that restore classic cars required to commute to work with them? It's a hobby. Get over it.

Why does the guy that buys a painting get to prattle on about how it is "a piece of art that features a harmonious balanced design, practiced illusionism and church rhetoric" (first google hit... whatever) but I have to explain what practical thing this exquisitely crafted and harmoniously balanced wrench is supposed to "do." Whack them upside the head might come to mind.

Honestly, every piece fits into a collection of capabilities, and sometimes I try to explain how the various things work together to accomplish something. But, whatever... it's like trying to explain to me why they collect stamps.

David...
          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

This must be related to why I have a burning desire to get an old Jeep/Willy's 'project' vehicle (had a few in past). It will need to have jaw dropping off road capabilities... even though I would likely rarely if ever take it off road. Can't shake it. Ill suited to family life, unsafe, bottomless money pit, no place to put it, don't want to insure it, don't want to store it... but damn I may die if I don't get one.

Comment

Gotta laugh at your off-road project, I've always been a fan of trail rides, hill climbing and mud runs, but haven't had a serious off-road truck since I traded off my Willys 2a years ago.
              At the rear of my property there's a swampy area about 75x500 ft, every time I'm back there I find myself planning routes through it and figuring out how 'good' the truck would have to be. Also, on the way to my mother's house if taking the back roads, there's a heavily overgrown side street with a sign that say 'road is impassible', every time I see it I think I'd like to see why....

Different custom work on cars, trucks and motorcycles is what got me into machining in the first place. I used to pay to have parts made up or modified, then one day I took a good look at how much I was paying for even minor projects, and decided to learn machining.

Comment

In a similar vein, on another forum, someone mentioned that people start out making a cnc machine to help with their xyz hobby needs and end up with CNC itself being their hobby. I started looking at cnc again a couple of weeks ago and it is taking up a lot of my time..........please send a search and rescue squad to cnczone after Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                  In a similar vein, on another forum, someone mentioned that people start out making a cnc machine to help with their xyz hobby needs and end up with CNC itself being their hobby. I started looking at cnc again a couple of weeks ago and it is taking up a lot of my time..........please send a search and rescue squad to cnczone after Xmas.
                  Some manage to make a business out of things they like to do. If nothing else, it may cure the "like to do" part of it....... If you get decent at setting up CNC, you can maybe do "cnc consulting" for similar folks.

Trouble is, those pesky independent hobby type folks don't much like to PAY for such services, they will muddle along by themselves. I'd do a side biz in machine repair, IF it would pay, but it most likely would NOT. Businesses buy another and scrap the old one, hobby folks use it as-is, or attempt their own repairs.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                  X