No announcement yet.

Don't Slide Down the Sawdust Pile--O.T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We put it out planked over it & put the outhouse there.
    That doesn't sound like a very good idea. Rump roast anyone?

Originally posted by flylo View Post
    Snakes like them too. I cut 18750 bf of hemlock in a week with a Mobile Dimension 3 bladed mill in the UP on a 40 acre farm we had bought. Once a year I'd mow it with a 5' Bush Hog & tried each time to spread out the saw dust piles & every year would hit one or two slinging snake parts every where. I'm only afraid of 2 kinds, dead ones & live ones. At the hunting camp before my Dad passed he was cleaning up stick, roots, etc & burning them. We poored all the water on the fire when we left & it was the only time I went up 2 weekends in a row (580 miles each way) & it had burned a 5' deep hole in the ground just smoldering in all that organic material. We put it out planked over it & put the outhouse there.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

My boss had a camp 60 miles south of mine & we'd take turns having a big dinner & cards so I was down there smoking cigars & playing cards & we had ran out of cigars & I had to use the outhouse so I bummed a cigaret & headed to the outhouse, sat down & lit the cig threw the match down the hole, did my business & when I stood up the outhouse was well lit with a fire in the hole. I went into the cabin not wanting to tell him I set the sh*thouse on fire & ask him for some water. He got me a glass & i had to say I need alot of wire & put it out with a pail of water. We had a lot of fun over that.

Comment

Flylo
        I used to do that every time I ate Mexican

We later learned to go in the creek to keep from setting the woods on fire
        George from Conyers Ga.
        Remember
        The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

A few years back, my grass grew like gang busters. I had to vacuum up the wind rows with the triple bagger, and dumped the clippings at the back of my property into big piles.

Some weeks later, while working in my yard, I noticed a strong smell that I couldn't identify. Kinda smelled like something burning. I followed the smell to the big piles of grass clippings I'd dumped weeks earlier.

The piles were smoking, and appeared ready to ignite! I quickly kicked the piles down and spread them around so they cooled off and extinguished.

I believe they would have ignited had I not noticed the smell.

Nowadays, I'm careful not to dump the clippings in a big pile, but spread them around.

Comment

Hay baled too wet will often have ash in the bales when they are fed a few months later.

I built a site that had a lot of cow manure on top. The local practice is to pile the soils in a windrow along the side of the site. When we contoured the site 2 months later, the piles had ash in them about 2' down.

There were a few experimental heavy oil extraction projects that started an underground fire in the pay zone to heat the oil so it could be pumped out. These projects typically used large compressors to feed air to support the fires in the pay zone.

There were a few barns burnt down over the years when manure piles against or too close to a wall ignites the wooden walls. The manure was piled just outside a door or window as the barn was cleaned through the winter.
            Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              This story would make a great movie.

JL...................
              Silent Hill. Horror movie adapted from video game but the town in the movie was supposedly inspired by a town in Pennsylvania that has been abandoned and has had a underground coal fire burning for over 50 years...

Comment

Brian
                I laughed for 10 minutes at your "adventure".
                Tell us more!

Where I live in the summer in the Arrowhead of Minnesota we have peat bogs that in dry summers will catch on fire underground.
                It drives the Forrest Service crazy because they are very hard to put out.
                Sometime they will start Forrest fires.
                The smoke gets so thick it looks like heavy fog.
                Bill
                I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Brian's story brought back a flood of memories for me. In the late 1930's my family lived in an old house on Main Street in LaGrange, Georgia. The house was scheduled for eventual demolition, and was rent free with the provision that we did any required maintenance. Just behind the house was a several acre lumber yard owned by the Daniel Lumber Company. They bought rough lumber from sawmills and stored it in stacks to air dry. The dried lumber was processed into building products in a steam driven planer mill on the property. The company sold a full line of building supplies and constructed quality custom homes. My father was a finish carpenter for the construction unit.

The supervisor of the planer mill lived in a house on the far side of the property and had a son that was about my age. We had free run of the entire property and were warmly tolerated by all the yard employees. We had an abundance of scrap lumber and nails that we were permitted to pick up from the cabinet shop floor. I suspect that the workers deliberately dropped a few nails to add to our gleanings. The boiler supplying steam for the planer mill engine was close to the planer mill and adjacent to a railroad. The sawdust from the planer mill was blown through a pipe to a pile next to the boiler, where it was used to fire the boiler. We had permission to play on the sawdust pile, which was probably around 50 feet high. Steam engines moving goods on the railroad came by frequently, and we would wave at the engineer and fireman. It was great fun to slide down the pile and dig holes in the sawdust. The pile was always warm a little beneath the surface, but I do not remember it ever catching fire. Perhaps the constant removal of sawdust to fire the boiler reduced this possibility. It may have ignited later, as I remember the entire mill and cabinet shop burning after We left to a new house after the war. Nearer Main Street was a railroad spur for off loading goods to the warehouses. This spur was elevated and sand for masonry use was dumped from rail cars. We were permitted to play on the sand piles, which were probably 10 feet high. Just as nice as a beach with dunes, and a lot more accessible.

It is amazing that we were not seriously injured or killed with all this exposure. No OHSA and government regulations to be concerned with. The adventures were all a part of our education.

One other thought. The workers staking lumber for air drying worked in gangs of several individuals. They used work songs to emphasize the movements, just like the railroad crews. I remember one worker with a rich and melodious voice. It would have been a treasure to be able to record some of that folk music.

Jim
                  Last edited by Jim Williams; 10-13-2016, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Great story, Brian. Jim, yours is quite evocative of a time gone by.

Comment

Originally posted by jacampb2 View Post
                      Silent Hill. Horror movie adapted from video game but the town in the movie was supposedly inspired by a town in Pennsylvania that has been abandoned and has had a underground coal fire burning for over 50 years...
                      There was a documentary about the town of Centralia on PBS, Spooky place, evacuated apparently.
                      Mark

Comment

I have probably got the best outhouse story ever told!! I had a friend in public school, David, and he lived down near Brown's sawmill. His father and his uncle lived in two little houses side by side, and each of them had a bunch of kids. The two families shared an outhouse that was situated on a side hill. The front door was level with the path, but at the back of the outhouse which faced the downhill side, there was a gap about 2 feet between the back of the outhouse and the ground. When it was first built, and the pit below was dug, they used some nice pine lattice to fill in the gap at the back and the sides. Over the course of many years, the lattice rotted away. One dark night, the two brothers were drinking and David's uncle decided that he had to use the outhouse. Nobody had flashlights back then, so it was either light the gas lantern or walk up in the dark. David's uncle was a big portly fellow, and knew the path to the outhouse off by heart, so he didn't bother with the lantern, just went up in the dark. Five minutes later we heard a terrible scream and David's uncle came running/hopping down the hill with his drawers around his ankles, yelling "Get the shotgun, Get the lantern, quick, quick!!!" This was back in the day, when everybody had 3 or 4 hunting dogs. While Ross was setting on the toilet in the dark, doing his business, one of the hounds had reached in through the back of the toilet where the lattice had rotted away, and licked Ross across the arse. He didn't know what it was, but immediately thought of bears, wolves, panthers, and all the devils from Hell. Once we figured out that it had just been one of the dogs, we all fell about with laughter, and teased ross for years afterwards about it.
                        Last edited by brian Rupnow; 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X