Solid State Hard Drive ??? Slightly OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
    I use a little utility called RemoveDrive.exe. You can download it from http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

You can either add it to your backup script, or have your backup software run it at the end of the backup. I find it very useful. I use it with the -l -b -i switches, and it works on all my machines.
    What does it do that hitting the OS button does not do, aside from being in a script? I have that pinned on the taskbar, so it's always available, and because of the way I organize directories, I need no script.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Go to the site and read up on it. There is a lot it does. The guy who wrote it knows his stuff well.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Go to the site and read up on it. There is a lot it does. The guy who wrote it knows his stuff well.
        Nice idea, I probably won't go back and read it all. Too much to do.

When I looked at it, nothing jumped out at me anyhow. Not sure it applies to what I do.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 10-22-2016, 12:15 AM.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          What does it do that hitting the OS button does not do, aside from being in a script? I have that pinned on the taskbar, so it's always available, and because of the way I organize directories, I need no script.
          It does have some extra features, but I primarily use it for automation. It saves me from doing a few hundred "safely removes" every year, and makes sure that I never forget. My hard disks and thumb drives are encrypted, so I always dismount them. Some drives will also stop spinning when they are dismounted, and Windows won't spin them up again. Handy for those multi-hour backup jobs that I run overnight.

All my backups are scripted or automated even though the files are well organized. My main computer has 19 backup jobs. Hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, when certain directories are updated, when a particular USB device is inserted, etc. Overkill for most, but my income is totally dependent on the data I am backing up.

Comment

Well I bought the computer with the SSD.......... it's quiet and it's fast. Up and running in under 15 seconds.
            It's so nice not to hear a fan whining and heating the room up. My old HP put out quite a bit of heat and the GPU failed once last year and went intermittent just before I started this post.

JL.................

Comment

I use the big and slow fans on my power machine. They only turn at around 1200 rpm when its hot and down to 600rpm when it is idling. Very little noise even at full speed.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
              X