Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCWKen
    replied
    I made my own taper attachment. It's in the Shop Made Tools thread somewhere. I used small 1/4" ID bearings on my guide and follower held in place with bolts. After the first trial run I had to change all the bolts to grade-8 because the originals (probably grade-3) were bending. There's considerable force being applied to the guide and follower. If I were to do it again, I'd design-in the use of linear bearings too but the shafting would need to be stout enough to handle the forces. Probably something in the range of 3/4" or better depending on the length of the guide. Or take really, really light cuts.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    Using a heavy spring will work after a fashion, but I would suppose light cuts would be the order of the day. Most taper attachments use a direct, mechanical connection to pull the tool into the work, a more positive arrangement.

While I don't recall seeing one, use of a linear bearing and Thompson shafting would provide a good starting point for a homebrew taper attachment.

Leave a comment:

• BillWood
    started a topic Taper Attachment in Latest HSM - spring tension

Taper Attachment in Latest HSM - spring tension

My latest HSM issue just arrived in the post, Volume 35 no. 5, Sept/Oct 2016

I liked the article on the taper turners by Ted Hansen pages 60 - 65

The taper attachment photographed on page 62 depends upon a strong spring to pull the cross slide onto the piece that defines the taper angle.

Am a newbie to making things like this - was wondering how reliable a strong spring would be for ensuring the cross slide follows the required taper angle ? Could it be more secure to have a guide bearing "trapped" inside a slot cut into the bar ? or have 2 bearings one either side of the bar ? - makes it impossible to deviate from required angle rather than rely on spring tension ?

Bill
Working...
X