Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Bothers wait till you see my new Car/restoration project what a beauty. Alistair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Bothers wait till you see my new Car/restoration project what a beauty. Alistair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-B...-/181867145226

love you guys will be in touch more often now will explain later .Al
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Pillarless, yes used to have them just that they have been reclaimed by oxidation...

don't underestimate what a little bondo can do

good to know your still kickin Mr. Hosie

Comment

A little buffing and that'll clean right up!
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

How could that thing be "sold"

who would buy that besides maybe a mining company for the enriched mineral deposits?

Comment

Well Alistair, that should keep you busy until checkout time.
          Nice to see you you got it at what appears to be a bargain price. Does the car come with the vegetation or is that just an embellishment from the sales dept. in order to facilitate a fast sale?

I see he also has a Jag for sale at a much lower price but where's the challenge in that? Good for you for standing by your guns and accepting the challenge, besides it's a Benz!
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that somewhere deep inside the plush interior, there's at least one mouse turd. Maybe more.

Comment

You going to paint it green?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                How could that thing be "sold" [?]
                -While an easy 95% of it is indeed junk, to the right collector or restorer, there could easily be $2K worth of parts still there. Most of the trim is likely stainless steel, and probably in good shape. The grille is chrome, possibly also stainless, and I could see one of those in decent condition- especially if off a rare example- being worth $2K all by itself.

The rear window glass, possibly even the front windscreen, the side glass, interior trim, most of the dash should have been fairly well protected... Some of the heavy suspension components like springs, spindles and control arms could still be in usable shape...

Speaking as one who has repaired a couple of rather aged cars in my time, one of the most expensive parts of a project can be the "fiddly stuff"- rare trim pieces, suspension components that were only used on that model of car, common pieces that are also very commonly damaged (like the taillight lenses, etc.) and so on.

For that matter, I don't know what the laws are like in England, but here in the US, if that was a particularly rare model (for example, a W-30 442 4-speed convertible, a Hemi 'Cuda, etc.) just the VIN plate could be worth $2K.

A few years back, Hot Rod magazine had a little blurb in the back about a curious eBay auction. A stripped, partially burned and badly mangled empty shell of a '70 or '71 Dodge Dart, sold for something like $7K.

Why? Because it had originally been a very rare model- 340 Six-Pack, 4-speed, etc. The VIN plate could be transferred (yes, legally) over to a plain Dart, and with the right pieces added, turned into a more-or-less authentic "numbers matching" car. The VIN alone could turn a $10K car into a $50K car.

So just because the car as a whole is beyond rescue- way beyond, in this case - that doesn't mean it'd completely worthless, or that there aren't some valuable parts there.

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Ashes to ashes rust to dust............

God Bless you Alistair. Even American Pickers wouldn't go that far.

JL............

Comment

Doc is absolutely right.

You folks are basically why parts are hard to find.... if the thing is not fully functional, off it goes to be cubed. I'd bet that the motor has lots of usable parts that will be in OK shape unless the oil drain plug is out and the dipstick and breather off.

It's the odd parts that get you when restoring cars, or most things, actually, stuff that may be still usable on that "iron mine".

If it has an un-cancelled title, then that thing may be valuable just for that. It would be in many states here. of course it may have been cancelled if the car was junked, or just plain lost as worthless by some moron.
                    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-17-2016, 07:49 PM.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                      -While an easy 95% of it is indeed junk, to the right collector or restorer, there could easily be $2K worth of parts still there. Most of the trim is likely stainless steel, and probably in good shape. The grille is chrome, possibly also stainless, and I could see one of those in decent condition- especially if off a rare example- being worth $2K all by itself.

The rear window glass, possibly even the front windscreen, the side glass, interior trim, most of the dash should have been fairly well protected... Some of the heavy suspension components like springs, spindles and control arms could still be in usable shape...

Speaking as one who has repaired a couple of rather aged cars in my time, one of the most expensive parts of a project can be the "fiddly stuff"- rare trim pieces, suspension components that were only used on that model of car, common pieces that are also very commonly damaged (like the taillight lenses, etc.) and so on.

For that matter, I don't know what the laws are like in England, but here in the US, if that was a particularly rare model (for example, a W-30 442 4-speed convertible, a Hemi 'Cuda, etc.) just the VIN plate could be worth $2K.

A few years back, Hot Rod magazine had a little blurb in the back about a curious eBay auction. A stripped, partially burned and badly mangled empty shell of a '70 or '71 Dodge Dart, sold for something like $7K.

Why? Because it had originally been a very rare model- 340 Six-Pack, 4-speed, etc. The VIN plate could be transferred (yes, legally) over to a plain Dart, and with the right pieces added, turned into a more-or-less authentic "numbers matching" car. The VIN alone could turn a $10K car into a $50K car.

So just because the car as a whole is beyond rescue- way beyond, in this case - that doesn't mean it'd completely worthless, or that there aren't some valuable parts there.

Doc.
                      Reminds me of this; http://bangshift.com/general-news/ca...avine-daytona/

Comment

Doc.
                        Exactly right! As you say...the VIN plate and other parts are what is valuable. Several years back at a local farm auction there was a very old car that was little more than a frame and sheet metal but it went for something like $87,000 because it was so rare.

Comment

Well of course as everyone knows you can build a Spitfire from a pilot's belt buckle.

Comment

Doc.
                            You and JT could be right Doc --- I was going to say it was advertised as a Hedge find not a Hedge fund - but - somewhere - somehow - and in some twisted way somebody is actually looking for parts for a POS like that lol

the outer parts of the grill are broken, the inside I know is aluminum and most likely has seen some oxidation too but if the rest of it is in tact still maybe salvageable --- there are "deep down parts" that may or may not be good due to rust never sleeping, just look what's on top of the engine - you know the trans has been buried in moist dirt for many a decade - might even have a hole in it's case due to the fact and yes its C.I. along with the well buried engine block,,,
                            would take an assessment - perhaps a good day digging through a bunch of crap to be able to figure out if it's worth it or not... the trim is a biggie - and highly doubtful but could be something as simple as a mint steering wheel to push the deal out of the red...

but what a hassle - be careful how you pick my car up so you don't bend my trim lol because I think the trim is actually now it's major support structure lol
                            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 10-17-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

You will have to keep updates posted as things progress,good to see posting!!

Comment

Working...
                              X