Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Score ... sort of. Workshop cleaning find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Score ... sort of. Workshop cleaning find.

Found two new-ish sets of punches and chisels and some old punches and chisels all in one pile while cleaning my shop during my lunch break. They've been missing for a while and I haven't looked hard for them but when I found them it was like receiving a birthday present through the mail.

Instead of being in the tool box under the work bench where they belong they were on top of the work bench covered by clutter. Now that I'm working from home I'll have more time for cleaning and organizing my workshop.

I found some misplaced tools and a grease gun a few days ago. And an electric sander still in the unopened box about 2 weeks ago. I wonder what else is misplaced in my workshop.

Moving from the shed to the basement caused lots of clutter but it's forcing me to get better organized because I'm out of space.

Sounds to me that you are suffering from "sleep shopping"....

Long ago I found that good storage setups that are properly optimized for the volume of any given shop are at least as important or moreso than owning the right machines. Unused air volume in any storage area is non working volume. Shelves with well filled storage bins trump wall boards of tools that only use a single layer of the volume. And arrangements of drawers properly used are better than open shelving.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

It's a golden age when you forgot what you had and everything seems like a brand new free discovery again lol enjoy!

Comment

pgmrdan, you need a shop like mine, there is no room to lose something.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast

Comment

If I buy one more tool I won't be able to squeeze into my shop.
          I need to throw a bunch away or knock out a wall.
          Hard to do with garage doors and concrete walls that are part way underground.
          Maybe there is some of my wife's stuff in there---------
          Bill
          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
            Maybe there is some of my wife's stuff in there---------
            Not sure how your luck rides. Whenever I have rehomed another family member's long-neglected possession(s), they develop a spontaneous and urgent interest in locating said item(s) soon afterward.

It is uncanny !

Comment

You could always add a "loft" to re-locate some of the less frequently used items.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                It's a golden age when you forgot what you had and everything seems like a brand new free discovery again lol enjoy!
                Isn't that the same thing a Doctor tells to his patient whom he's just diagnosed with Alzheimer's?

Comment

Count yourself lucky.

I searched my shop for several days looking for my spindexer...only to finally realize I had never actually acquired one!
                  Len

Comment

This is a little long, so for something suitable for a workshop, skip to the last paragraph.

In the last year I have built a few shelving units to 'store' stuff on. One is a bookshelf unit that sits perpendicular to a wall. The back of that has a desk, also recently made, butted up to it. It's carefully placed so I have just enough room for a chair at the desk. This all fits within a 4 ft by 5 ft area of the floor, so about as compact as it can be.

Another shelving unit sits against another wall, and has 10 shelves with the top most one being about 7 ft above the floor. These are all open shelves, and they are now 'cluttered' with things- things that I might use one day but would otherwise forget about if they were in a drawer. I do find this to be very workable, but it does take up wall space. In this area I can't make better use of the wall because the room is small to begin with.

Another shelving unit I just put in a few days ago is similar, but has the bottom shelves about 15 inches deep. Normally you might lose stuff at the back, but they are well suited to my hiking gear and the like. Above desk height the shelves are only 8 inches deep and closer together, so again a lot of smaller items have a home where they can be seen. Two more desks occupy this room, which is fairly small at 8 x 11 ft. Both these desks have drawers- one has pullouts for file holders, the other has a pullout which is basically a second desktop about 4 ft wide.

Everything talked about above is in this one room, and there is enough floor space left that in a pinch I can lay a foam mattress down with enough room for an adult to sleep. There is still floor space left. It's all about maximizing use of space.

The smallest bedroom is about 7 x 8 ft and has two drawer banks in it, plus one separate desk unit. The drawer banks are placed to support an L shaped work top, which manages to be about 5 x 7 ft with an open-under area about 5 x 3 ft for my feet- and lots of 'stuff'. Because one wall is adjacent to the stairs, I was able to cut much of that wall out and build a 'deck' across to the outside wall at a height that doesn't interfere with headroom for the stairs. The deck is 44 inches wide and a full 8 ft long, and there's a set of steps leading up to access it. The back of the desk has a thin wall about 6 ft high that kind of closes off these steps and gives a bit of privacy to the sleeping area. There's a regular mattress there and I'll often sleep there in the colder days so I don't have to heat the whole house as much. Under this deck there's a cubby about 3 x 3 ft x about 44 inches deep, and a single drawer beside that. This is my electronics room, so much of my test equipment is set up in it. Again, it's space-efficient. Claustrophobic to some, but that doesn't bother me.

Downstairs, the workshop- my method of choice for compactness, etc is to have drawer banks arranged with work tops spanning them. Most are against walls, but one setup is in the middle of the floor. Drawers in this one are 4 ft deep and about 2 ft wide. They open from either end. I kind of missed the boat on this one because the two bottoms are shelves and you do tend to lose stuff there. I wish I would have thought it out better beforehand- I would have made these all drawers, essentially two cabinets side by side with perhaps four drawers in each. That would give a work area on top about 4 x 4 ft. As I have it now it's one area 2 x 4 ft, with a drawer bank dividing the top. This drawer bank is also 4 ft long, drawers open from both ends, but these drawers are only about 6 inches wide and two inches high each. That's where I keep all my music wire, drill rod, threaded rod, etc. Because this drawer bank sits across the work top, it leaves one side only 18 inches deep. But that's ok for me. The thing of value here is the length of the drawers- it gives me a place to keep cutoffs, etc that are not really long enough to rack but too short to not get lost in a corner somewhere. Being able to open the drawers from either end is pretty handy.
                    Last edited by darryl; 10-19-2016, 12:27 AM.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                    X