Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choices of CAM software for a CNC Router.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
    DR

.................................................. .................................................. .............................See my article in Digital Machinist Fall 2011 as a method to introduce students to writing code. I think Weston Bye summed it up pretty well.

One would like to know why V-Carve is such a POS as you described it. Also what would you use in a low budget situation?

Pete
    How can I view your article in Digital Machinist?

Why am I so down on Vectric products? Mostly because over a six month period of email exchanges with their support staff trying to get straight answers on whether the software would do certain operations. This was information gathering on my part in considering a purchase. In the end it became obvious their support people are ignorant of CNC'ing in general. For example: how does Vcarve handle feedrate calculations in rotary axis work with simultaneous linear and rotary motions? Apparently it doesn't, I was only able to get that answer from several users since the support staff didn't understand the significance of the the question. That was only one example out of many questions I had.

Fusion 360 would be an inexpensive option.

Comment

I believe there is a cam plugin for Rhino, RhinoCAM.

Comment

macona

RhinoCam is not a plug in, it is a Mecsoft product. They are the VisualMill people. I use it and it is excellent, especially as it is interactive with Rhino. Both products up on the monitor/monitors at the same time.

Comment

RhinoCAM Mill Express is $695, you might be able to get an educational discount from them.

https://mecsoft.com/rhinocam-mill/

It is nice to be able to work inside of Rhino so you can draw new curves or extract/offset surfaces for machining regions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
            Rhinoceros will output the correct format for almost any CAM product. In fact some people use it as an intermediate step from their CAM to their CAM software.

The question I started with had to do with a inexpensive CAM program to run a CNC Router.

Pete
            OK, so your choices are NOT limited by needing to accept some proprietary output format.

In that case, best if the CAM program DOES accept IGES, because that is the universal format, and will not tie future use to any particular CAD product as a "feeder" or a "translator".
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Another vote for fusion 360 Its put out by autodesk, the autocad people. Another real advantage is that students can download and have their own copy right at home, it has provisions for sharing project via the net which could be very handy in a school situation.

Comment

CamBam for $150 does a great job for us. We draw in Rhino and Solidworks. We have CamBam right on the mill PC. Since we do lots of one offs we often do one operation at a time going back and forth between the CNC and CamBam. When we are done CamBam has the latest tested cam program. Huge time saver. We don't write any code by hand.

Comment

Working...
                X