Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendall
    replied
    I have two crescent wrenches, one named Bob and one named Mooney, they were my grandfather's, and he had his first name, Bob, stamped in one, and his last, Moon, on the other. Also have cheater bars with names, one Schwinn and the bigger one Molly, because they were cut from the top tubes of old bicycles.

On another note, My old 1974 cb750 was named 'Syb', short for 'screaming yellow B*tch' Because it was yellow, and when she ran great she was a real screamer, but at times could be a real major pain. My old Willys cj2a with the flathead 4 was called 'Chugs' because when trying to pull something heavy, the RPMs would drop so low you could hear every cylinder fire, sounded like the old one-lung thumper bikes.

Leave a comment:

• daGrouch
    replied
    I about wet my pants when I first saw that clip and still chuckle when I think of it. "Torque nut to specified roundness" or something like that.
    He sure has a way with words

Leave a comment:

• jihe
    replied
    Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
    AvE calls his shifter (adjustable/crescent wrench) the Swedish nut lathe. Swedish because Bahco created it.
    I'd guess he got that name from a Swede. It's common to call them that here, "muttersvarv".

Leave a comment:

• enginuity
    replied
    I've posted about my dead blow hammer before:

Leave a comment:

• pinstripe
    replied
    AvE calls his shifter (adjustable/crescent wrench) the Swedish nut lathe. Swedish because Bahco created it.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    We had a shop foreman that no one liked. One day we were all sitting around on break when he came by and said "How's it going?"
    I said "We're having more fun than a barrel of Managers!" Everyone laughed, he got all red in the face and stomped off back to the office. I said "Mission accomplished."

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    There is a large purveyor of machine tools I share the same last name with.
    (No, not Grizzly)
    I'd love to have an example of their product in my shop...just to impress the locals with the name emblazoned across the front!

Leave a comment:

• TGTool
    replied
    Originally posted by fjk View Post
    A long time ago a Big Cheese at a company I worked at would love to go around saying "You, name three fish!" (ok, this about fish, not tools, but is about naming :-) and if you said something like "Whale" he'd ridicule you no end. Eventually, someone answered "Tom, Fred, and Eunice" ... No more fish naming challenges.
    Sounds to me like "Big Cheese" was a little spoiled. Now where's that organizational compost bin?

Leave a comment:

• fjk
    replied
    A long time ago a Big Cheese at a company I worked at would love to go around saying "You, name three fish!" (ok, this about fish, not tools, but is about naming :-) and if you said something like "Whale" he'd ridicule you no end. Eventually, someone answered "Tom, Fred, and Eunice" ... No more fish naming challenges.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Thanks all! This just gave me a good laugh as I recalled a story I once heard about this kid who, until he was 6 or 7, thought his name was Damnit.
    That's all his father called him... "Damnit, eat your food!" "Damnit, leave your sister alone!" "Damnit, put that down!"

Leave a comment:

• Daveb
    replied
    Knob lathes and Prick punches, no idea at all why the names amuse me.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Depends on which "Buffalo"...... one old and very nice, one new (since 1975 or so) and utter trash.

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    And the Buffalo drill press, I got about 4 on the machine buy last fall & while now Buffalo tools are a joke these seem well made.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Also famous for the Barca-Lounger easy chair.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    Wes, I have some too. Always wondered about the name....

My favorite name for tools has always been Barcalo Buffalo. I've had a couple wrenches of that name for years. Not the prettiest, but durable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X