3d print lathe dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d print lathe dog

I needed a 10mm lathe dog to turn a pulley on a skinny, 10mm arbor.

Made the arbor, supported on centers, glued the pulley stock round onto the arbor (shaft) using super glue.

Only dog I had was about 3" diameter cast iron.

I needed a little one, and didn't want to wait for tool supplier to ship, nor, for that matter, to even go to the trouble to look a part number.

So I modeled up the lathe headstock, less chuck (D1-4), and a dog that would enter into a chuck retainer hole, drew it up using Cubify Design, printed the dog and its clamp. The two holes take 1/4-20 HHMS, taking 1/4" lock washers and nuts.

Place pieces of sandpaper between the jaws to grip the shaft.

Works great.

That will have been an entertaining use of skills and resources.

Well done.

Comment

Can your set-up print an approximation of the threads? Or do you still have to resort to tapping these?

Edit: On rereading, I see nuts were employed. In time, in time ...

Comment

Didn't happen without pictures

Comment

Three WOOFS for the lathe dog.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
            Didn't happen without pictures
            First, Cubify Design does facilitate creating threads, internal or external, of whatever profile.

One creates a profile and then uses a helix cut or helix extrude to create the thread.

I happen to use Makerware, which has no problem printing such a thing.

As to the pictures, here is a video, for the faithless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQd5cNJwL0

Last edited by keith20mm; 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM. Reason: add faithless image

Comment

Working...
            X