Swarf got me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
    Yeah, I tried a bunch of stuff. Zimm's Crack Cream worked pretty good.....
    Wait a minute. You are suppose to use it on your hands?
    www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      There's usually more loose around the edges that you will need to trim off... Although I would not have supposed that bled, as clean as it is now, so it will just get dirty, as well as dry out and then catch on stuff, finally causing more cuts and splits.

Get out the knife or nail nippers and trim it before it's a problem.

Great application for liquid bandage also. Keeps stuff off the sensitive under layer, once you get past the sting, and sticks down the edges.
      I never heard of this liquid bandage, I shall go in search of it tomorrow.

I got all the skin layers and a bit of the fatty layer underneath. I was surprised how copiously it bled for such a shallow slice, and how fast it stopped when I put the little piece back in place. I've had a gauze pad and tubular finger bandage over it all day, changed it this evening and it was nice and dry, the sliced bit stuck down well. I guess it'll come away if/when I get it wet but for now it's doing a good job of sealing it while it heals.

Definitely going to have more respect for tiny swarf from now on.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
        I never heard of this liquid bandage, I shall go in search of it tomorrow.

I got all the skin layers and a bit of the fatty layer underneath. I was surprised how copiously it bled for such a shallow slice, and how fast it stopped when I put the little piece back in place. I've had a gauze pad and tubular finger bandage over it all day, changed it this evening and it was nice and dry, the sliced bit stuck down well. I guess it'll come away if/when I get it wet but for now it's doing a good job of sealing it while it heals.

Definitely going to have more respect for tiny swarf from now on.
        There is a product called Wound Seal that comes in a foil pouch you can get from Walgreen's which stops bleeding almost instantly. I discovered it a few years ago and keep some in the shop - if a cut is clean and there is a live flap of skin, the wound will usually close and heal up better than if stitched. I experienced a deep cut on my index finger several months ago which is now invisible. The liquid bandage also works well to go over the top of the initial coating of Wound Seal. My hands often look as though I lost a knife fight so anything to stop blood from leaking out is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
          Today I took a .003" facing cut on some fingertip......... and YES it's bloody sore now
          Bummer.. We have all done it though. JR

Comment

You can get a product called Dexteryl in europe, which is vaseline, glycerol and paraffin and designed especially to treat hard and cracked skin, along with burns etc.
            I know this as I'm currently getting it on prescription after melting all the skin off my right hand and arm with severe steam burns in a vehicle accident when a rad exploded and let the steam into the cab (and my right leg, and 1st degree burns to face, shoulders, other arm, bum etc, I was a bit of a mess with 44% body burnt and in a hdu burns isolation unit for 5 weeks...)
            Its a pain because currently my right hand skin is brand new (well its about 3 weeks old now) and so its like a newborn baby's in terms of toughness, I cut it yesterday with a finger nail by accident and I'm only getting back into the shop this weekend and it will be wearing a glove on it. In fact I have to wear two gloves, because the inside of the thick leather one is too coarse and is rubbing the skin off!

Swarf, nasty, steam worse...

Comment

Can't help much with the swarf cut other than to commiserate and cringe a little with you.

The cracks in the skin around finger nails or folds at the joints might be a bit of solvent induced eczema. If it just won't go away and if you tend to play around oil and solvents a lot the "cure" may be to wear the nitrile gloves as suggested. A trip to the doc for a proper medical opinion might also be worth while.

I gave myself a moderate case of solvent induced eczema about 30 years ago while covering and doping a whole string of model airplanes. The method I was using for covering at the time involved laying the tissue on and using raw thinner around the edges to soak through and soften the dope on the frame work. This involved a lot of rubbing of my finger tips on the solvent soaked tissue. As it happened I was at the Doc for a checkup or some other reason and asked about the splits and cracks. He told me it was eczema. I'd never had it before so I asked about possible outside causes other than just genetics. That's when he mentioned regular exposure to solvents as a possible cause and the light went on.

A buddy's son that worked in the auto service trade developed solvent and oil related eczema really badly after a couple of years of frequent exposure. Hard to avoid in that line of work. He minimized the issue by using barrier creams and gloves. He got to where he was OK but if he skips any of the prep it bites him bad almost right away. That was some years ago too. Not sure if he's still in that trade or not.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X