Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT -- Any of you guys use a straight razor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT -- Any of you guys use a straight razor ?

Any of you guys using a straight razor ?
    Wife just got back from the grocery store - picked up some safety razor blades for me -- $31.00 CAD (about $23 US) WTH !!
    I have looked at straight razors before -- looked rather dangerous but this has got me thinking about them again.
    Any straight razor experts here ? Any advice ? Brands, accessories etc.

I haven't gone that far yet, but I feel your pain. Here in the States there are a couple mail-order razor companies that advertise quite heavily. I've been buying my blades at Sam's, where they're quite a bit cheaper. Not sure what options you have in the Great White North but the retail price for these things has gotten out of hand.

Slightly OT to your OT, but razor-related...

Around the time of a recent anniversary for Saturday Night Live (I think it was the 40th) they did re-runs of some of the 1st season shows. This included the parody commercials. One of them was for a razor with 3 blades "Because you'll buy anything". (This was from back when a razor with two blades was a new idea.) I think of that parody commercial every time I see a (non-parody) ad for the current crop of razors with 4-5 blades.

Walt

Comment

Vintage Gillette from Ebay and a sample pack of DE blades from West Coast Shaving. I still haven't used up all my blades from 4 years ago.

Comment

Go DE, once set up its a much better shave for much cheaper.

But beware, some people collect razors and accessories like we do tools, gets expensive then.

I just want to effectively scrape the hair from my face a few times a year for the least cash.

Comment

I use Gillette Sensor Excel. I buy my blades on Ebay in large quantities, and always look for German-manufactured blades. They work good and last a long time. Works out to around one dollar a blade in quantity.

Comment

I bought a cheap set just to see hew it feels. At first day my work colleagues asked if i was mugged on the way... After a few days i menaged to do it without blood but only by skipping my morning warm-up.

Comment

Be a man, use a flap disk! No advice on the straight razor, but I did read that you can get substantially improved blade life by making sure that the blades are dry before you put them away. I don't use them that often, so I'm not sure but I always dry them now.

Comment

We had a similar discussion 4 or 5 years ago re shaving...

As a result I bought a lovely German Merkur brand safety razor in a pack with 5 sleeves of Japanese Feather brand blades... I still have two sleeves left after shaving every 2 to 3 days over the years. Releasing myself from the expensive yoake of the Gillete company was very satisfying.

Comment

I gave up shaving once I got out of the army. I was constantly harassed "You didn't shave this morning, did you troop?" I grow face hair so fast that by noon it looks like I never shaved. I haven't shaved since. Very few people know what my entire face looks like.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post
                    I use Gillette Sensor Excel. I buy my blades on Ebay in large quantities, and always look for German-manufactured blades. They work good and last a long time. Works out to around one dollar a blade in quantity.
                    Yes, I use the same razor, Gillette blades at the grocery store are now about $3.00 each. I feel like I've been raped.
                    Still like to try a straight razor, just for the nostalgia I guess. I do get some enjoyment from getting a keen edge on my other cutting tools, so why not a razor.

Comment

I used a straight razor until I quit shaving. Not a double edge safety razor. You'll never get a better, smoother shave, I never even nicked myself, just get a good razor, strop, soap & mug & you'll never go back. Mine is German but I'll have to find it & see the brand. I wouldn't go chinese.
                      Last edited by flylo; 10-21-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cuslog View Post
                        Any of you guys using a straight razor ?
                        Wife just got back from the grocery store - picked up some safety razor blades for me -- $31.00 CAD (about $23 US) WTH !!
                        I have looked at straight razors before -- looked rather dangerous but this has got me thinking about them again.
                        Any straight razor experts here ? Any advice ? Brands, accessories etc.

Can't speak to the straight razor, but I've had great luck with these disposable razors from Shick. They last me about a 1 month before our salty well water does them in. For $1.25 a month, I'm pretty happy. I had been using a replaceable razor because I figured they'd be cheaper and better for the environment (i.e. less landfill waste) but the cost was crazy. The blades seemed to go dull quickly on my coarse stubble, leading to a painful and irritated shave after about 2 weeks AND they cost about $6 a pop!

Link: http://www.target.com/p/schick-xtrem...t/-/A-13400185

For what it's worth, my wife has very sensitive legs and she uses these, too. Says they're better than those "Venus" sensitive skin ones they market towards women.

Comment

Hi,

I grab a straight every once in a while to prove my manliness. Mostly I stick with a DE and blades. I would only recommend a vintage straight. Cheaper and better steel. There are vendors on line.

But it does require some support items like, hones and a strop or two. And you should own a couple of razors and not just one. You can send your razor out for sharpening, there people who will do that for you. But you will need a two sided strop for sure, figure around $50 or so for the strop.

One thing is for sure, canned foam does not work well with a straight. To get the best shaves you will need to use a proper brush and shave soap to. That does add to the initial cost. Shaving soap is much, much slicker and has a cushion that canned creams don't.

Dalee
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I haven't shaved my face since 1982. Used to shave my neck below the beard, but gave that up too. Now a Walls clipper does all I want!

Comment

I've used an electric shaver for 30 years and don't feel the need to change to a blade. The secret is to shave before you wet your face. It takes a week or two to get used to it but then you wont go back.
                              Helder Ferreira
                              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
                              X