source for small face dial tenth indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for small face dial tenth indicators

I've looked on line and haven't had much luck finding anything. Maybe its my search terms but........
    The reason I'm looking is I have to check a lot of bores for bearing fits etc. What I'm thinking is a dial indicator adapted to my inside micrometer set. Set the micrometer/caliper combo to the nominal size and then I can direct read size with no trouble. Making the adaptor is no big sweat. I've made extentions for my inside mic set that let me go all the way from 1.500 to 20 inches instead of the basic 8". I just can't find and indicator. The bores I'm looking at are from around 4 to 16 inches. Need to be in tenths.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

maybe time for a dial bore gauge.....
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Mahr still manufactures several small face devices. The real small ones are short range.

Try: https://www.mahr.com/en-us/Services/...Group-0--inch/ for Mahrcator series A

Next size up is metric only (803 small dial. 10micron overall over 3mm travel, repeatability of 3 micron. 0.0001" is 2.5micron, roughly)

MSC, among others, carries the Mahr line.

I hink the Mahrcator A series is the old Federal small face series, but I am not certain. The tips for the Federals were not standard indicator tip threading, but were a standard thread (#2 IIRC,... the only one I have lives in a fixture)

Comment

Could make something like this, too. It's on my long list of projects to complete...

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1771.0

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
          I was thinking the same thing. Just make sure it doesn't come from General Tools. Mine was backwards, and I had to get a new custom dial face made for it. General refused to do anything about it.

Comment

If you are trying to set up a dial bore gage that reads in tenths with a micrometer you are engaging in an excercise in frustration. In that situation you really need to be using a set-up fixture such as Sunnen sells for their bore gages. What I'm thinking of is a set-up where the indicator plunger is on the centerline of the inside micrometer (Starrett tubular style). This would be much easier to set so that zero is on the nominal bore size. In use it would be swept side to side and in and out to find the size. This would allow direct reading + or - to the nominal without having to check to an outside micrometer. I never read directly off of an inside micrometer. I have an inherent distrust of any measuring instrument that you take apart and put back together all the time. We check our bores over a minimum of four points not only to find size but to get a hadle on out-of-round conditions. Plus ideally I would prefer a metric model
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Perhaps your search terms are not the best. You say you want a "dial tenth indicator". I have never heard that terminology. I have heard of DIs or Dial Indicators and DTIs or Dial TEST Indicators. The difference is:

DI or Dial Indicator is an indicator that reads with a scale that is linear with movement of the probe tip. This type of indicator has a shaft that runs through the body of the indicator and that shaft moves in a linear (straight line) fashion. So, no matter where it is in it's travel, a 0.001" movement of that shaft reads 0.001" of difference on the dial. This straight line movement is the most accurate but it is also somewhat inconvenient in some circumstances. For instance, it can not reach the inside of a bore unless the entire DI will fit in that bore.

DTI or Dial Test Indicator is an indicator that uses a rotating arm for the probe. The tip of this arm swings on an arc as the distance changes and it will only read with good accuracy when the arm is at 90 degrees to the direction of that motion. As it moves, the angle of the arm changes and the amount of change in the dial reading for each 0.001" of motion will be different. It will start at 0.001" for that 90 degree angle, but at 60 degrees it will be 0.00115" on the dial. At 45 degrees it will be 0.00141" and at 30 degrees it will be 0.002". So, it is not accurate for taking absolute measurements if you stray very far away from that 90 degree angle.

Were you thinking of a Dial TEST Indicator? A Dial TEST Indicator would facilitate making measurements inside a bore. Perhaps one that reads in tenths? This would return many search results.

Or perhaps there are Dial Indicators that have additional linkages that allow you to read inside a bore. I am not sure what they are commonly called. I would search Starrett or Mitutoyo web sites. Perhaps what you want is a Bore Gauge:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=240-0116

Look also on pages 332 and 333 of that catalog. I don't think any of these could be attached to an inside micrometer. They all appear to be a complete instrument by themselves.

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
              I've looked on line and haven't had much luck finding anything. Maybe its my search terms but........
              The reason I'm looking is I have to check a lot of bores for bearing fits etc. What I'm thinking is a dial indicator adapted to my inside micrometer set. Set the micrometer/caliper combo to the nominal size and then I can direct read size with no trouble. Making the adaptor is no big sweat. I've made extentions for my inside mic set that let me go all the way from 1.500 to 20 inches instead of the basic 8". I just can't find and indicator. The bores I'm looking at are from around 4 to 16 inches. Need to be in tenths.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                YUP...
                Keith

Comment

Sounds as if what you really want is some bore-oriented version of using a height gage in comparator mode..... Set to a size, and then read the amount above or below on the indicator, to tenths.

I have never heard of such a device for bores. I have some inside caliper type bore gages, somewhat like you may be discussing, but they have nothing to do with mics..... they are simply dial reading gages with two arms that go in the hole. Best set with a separate reference device, mic, ring gage, etc.

Maybe you can make a suitable device, in which case, please show it, as we all may be talking about something different to what you mean.

However, failing that, It DOES seem as if you just want bore gages.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I may have one or two indicators similar to what you are looking for. PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
                      If you are trying to set up a dial bore gage that reads in tenths with a micrometer you are engaging in an excercise in frustration. In that situation you really need to be using a set-up fixture such as Sunnen sells for their bore gages.
                      On smaller bores its not a big using a mic imo, but it gets cumbersome as the diameter goes up, agreed. I've got one of the sunnen setting gauges and its nice piece work.....came with bunch of stuff but irrc will need modification to work with the common Mitutoyo style DBG....but of course there are other styles.

What I'm thinking of is a set-up where the indicator plunger is on the centerline of the inside micrometer (Starrett tubular style). This would be much easier to set so that zero is on the nominal bore size.
                      Wouldn't you still need setting fixture or endure the frustration of sweeping between two planes - ie mic, to know where nominal is? If you are measuring 10-20" to a tenth....there are probably enough zeros involved that tooling up with a dial bore gauge setting fixture and gauge isn't a big deal. Of course accuracy is all derived from blocks so you can pic up this stuff used
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-22-2016, 04:02 PM.
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Just to let you know I do have dial bore gages. I'm looking for something easier to use and set-up that does not depend on "feel" as this may also be used by less experienced individuals and still achieve reliable results. I'll do up a sketch, scan it and post so you have an idea what I'm thinking about. Back when I worked on stamping presses and we did inspections we had a set up where we had a 1" travel indicator mounted on a telescoping rod. with the press at bottom we would take readings at all four corners and then jack up the ram to determine how much clearance or wear is in the bearings. similar idea just better adjustment control.

Comment

It sounds like you are looking for a variation of the Starrett No. 697 Inside Dial Gage. It is set with a micrometer and does not read to tenths, but in general will perform the function.
                          Jim H.

Comment

I know that I couldn't of come up with something like this on my own

This basically what I'm thinking of with several adaptors to meet the range needed

Comment

This is roughly what I was visualizing when you bought it up. I haven't seen anything smaller than the smallest Mahr (formerly federal), which are listed as AGD-0 size. The one I am holding in my hand is an N61 (Federal). The sem is 0.217" dia, the spindle is 0.093", the thread for the tip is #0-80. The diameter (over the bezel, which is larger than the body) is 1.218" dia, and the length (top of body to the spindle end, unloaded, is 1.89". I think this is still made.

There are other AGD-0 available from several manufacturers, some of which take standard tips or test indicator tips, and many of which trade a shorter stem for a back end cap, which might be useful to you for holding (replace the cap with your adapter, and maybe get a little less overall length if the adapter is hollow for the spindle back end).

Comment

Working...
                              X