Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stellite filler rod for TIG welding. A use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stellite filler rod for TIG welding. A use?

I have 40 odd pounds of this stellite (kennametal) #6 filler. What can I use it for for in my lil home shop?

The question comes up cause there was some talk of a similar filler.

I cant think of a use here and have never melted some. I want to use it..

Give me a use please Gents. It wasn't cheep, I paid 100$ for the 40lbs.

Oh, I have made some steel on steel bushings for my car, it is 4140ph. No issues yet. Would the stellite filler be a good friction surface? JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Probably not?

The stuff is probably made for making saw tips on bandsaw blades for commercial bandsaws. The bands (Huge) are indexed though a copper mold that surrounds the band's tooth and a plasma torch is used to form the final tooth with the filler. When all the teeth are done it is moved to a grinding machine that shapes the stellite to it's final form.

It probably has a higher scrap value then what you paid for it, FWIW.

Comment

Macona is correct. I used to work in the tropical logging and sawmilling business. The timbers were all 'hardwoods' (ie non-conferous) and many species contained varying amounts of silica deposits which dulled conventional bandsaw blades very quickly. The use of stellite made some previously unusable species useable. It was expensive, but worthwhile. Maybe you can approach a local sawmill or saw sharpening service to see if they are interested? It's good that you know the grade as that may be important to such users.

Ian.
      Last edited by IanPendle; 10-22-2016, 03:52 AM. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

It appears to be a cobalt base hard surface filler. Maybe craigslist or welding web.
        What diameter is it?

Comment

I had a chainsaw years ago with a stellite tipped bar so that was one application for wear reduction. In that vein, I suppose you could fuse some onto blanks to make the stellite equivalent of carbide tipped lathe tools.
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Using 40# in a home shop environment is taxing my imagination.
            It is a great hardface and cladding alloy, but the expense relegates use to environs requiring high temperature integrity, sort of a non-cutting tool equivalent to HSS sharing cobalt, tungsten and moly.
            Refineries and other hot process pipe/valving and control users/fabricators use it.
            Stellite saw teeth seem a niche application, IIRC, they wear well but either can't get or hold a dead sharp edge, as deposited the Rc is below 60.

If you found the right buyer you'd make your money back....$100/40# must have been quite some time ago.

Comment

Excavating contractors use hardfacing on their bucket and blade teeth on back hoes, bulldozers and other earth moving equipment although I think they use stick and not TIG.
              A local one might buy it.
              Bill
              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I used to hard face vibratory plows using a carbide paste that you fused down using Tig. The goal is to build deposit not penetrate the base metal so it goes quickly.

Comment

You won't be machining it after you hard surface anything with it. It will even give carbide tooling a run for it's money.

I used to use 1/16 stellite plate in an application where we had bead blast cleaning a part. The stellite was a mask to keep the steel behind it from eroding away.

Brian
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

It is used (or at least was at one time)to repair cams and cam followers on textile machines.

Comment

I used #6 stellite to reface exhaust valves. I have also used it to provide a hard and corrosion resistant facing on water swivel spindles. It can be turned with carbide tools.

Use it anywhere you need a hard corrosion resistant overlay. You can aloso apply it with an oxy-acy torch using a reducing flame.

If you want to sell a couple pounds PM me.

Comment

The question is: "which Stellite?" There's a couple dozen alloys in the rough category of "Stellite." Some are intended for cutting tools, some for hard facing wear points of draw molds, some for valve seat inlays, etc. Your first step is to identify the alloy (or alloys - you may have a mixed bag) you have. Determine the alloy, then seek a use for it. I bet a mold repair shop would jump at it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                          Give me a use please Gents. It wasn't cheep, I paid 100$ for the 40lbs.

JR
                          That's cheap. When I was still working some years ago the company paided upwards of $600 for a 10# box. Maybe a different brand? We used it to hard surface the inside of Fabricated pipe "Y" pieces and put in as much as 100# each.

Ka-------chinge
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                            The question is: "which Stellite?"
                            "I have 40 odd pounds of this stellite (kennametal) #6 filler." Numba 6 Forrest..

Ok, thanks guys, useless for me then. I kinda figured that. No, not looking to sell any. Just ran across it the other day and wondered WHY, why do I have it and what can I do with it. I guess Ill just ignore it for another 20 years Thanks again, JR
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Long-term investment?

Comment

Working...
                              X