Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help making washers

help guys!
    i have to make 200 washers by tomorrow night.
    these are 3" od x 1" id x 1/4" thick.

i have 4' or so of some 3" stock already bored through at 5/8" ... i'm thinking of enlarging the hole to 1" and then just cutting them all out on the saw.

problem is, i need to face them. as fast as possible. and my saw cuts crooked! so i'll probably cut over 1/4" (maybe even 3/8) and face both sides.

would using two tools on the turret simultaneously be a dumb move? can i face both sides at once?

how do i hold them? i'd hate to have to chuck and rechuck for each one. granted these are 'washer' tolerances, but i want them to look decent (parallel sides)

this is my first 'production run' ... i usually only do onesy-twosy work.

i dont have any expanding mandrels. will a tapered arbor hold these? i'd like to V-notch the end of some HSS to chamfer/deburr both outside edges at the same time.

thanks!
    -tony

Tony,

Someone posted a tip for doing this in the "Sharing tips" post.

Allan

Comment

think you can grip them in the tips of soft-jaws...bored out to what depth you want ...or another way is double sided tape on a face plate..go gently..you may get ten washers out of each double sided tape before it becomes un-usable..
      all the best..mark

Comment

Well, you can't afford to spend more than about eight minutes on each one.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

allan, thanks, i'll check

mark, no soft jaws. i've used the sticky tape trick (actually, it was glue) before, but the cuts are too light (slow)

evan, thats exactly what sparked the cry for help. to make matters worse its an all or nothing affair: either i make all 200 by tomorrow night, or i lose the job and get to keep the 199 i end up making.

parting would be ideal, but i've never had any luck parting through this much material. then again, i'm not sure how much faster that would be than flipping/facing the sawn washers.

-tony

Comment

Another tip... go to your local tow-bar fitting place.
            they use the size of washer you mentioned as load spreaders when fitting towing hitches.
            buy a pile off them cheap ...then maybe there is still a profit to be made.
            all the best...mark

Comment

Here's a thought for facing them off. In Philip Duclos' "Shop Wisdom" book, he describes a self-locking stub mandrel. Don't know if you can make it work with only 1/4" material, but it might.
              Basically you'd machine the mandrel to mount the inner bore of the washer with a close fit, and the washer bearing against a shoulder. Then file or mill a flat on the stub to permit inserting a small nail or pin between inner washer bore and the flat. Then give it (washer) a twist to lock it in place. Face washer off. Untwist to remove, turn it around, and repeat. Since you only have 1/4" to play with, your locking pins would probably have to be sacrificial. Also the shoulder backing up the backside of the washer would probably need to be nearly as large as the washer OD.
              But if you can make that work, the mounting/dismounting would go fast.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

How about an arbor from 1-1/2" rod, turn a short 1" dia. length, center drill that end, slit it a few inches, use a live center to exert pressure to expand it like an expanding mandrel.
                Den

Comment

How about looking at the first tip on the second page of sharing tips on this BBS by G A Ewan. With a bit of latteral thinking and since your washers are 1/4 thick they would be easy to hold on to.

Maybe use a peice of pipe. Face off the end and make a shallow recess the od of your washers, then cut 4 slits down the pipe. then invent something to clamp it. Or if you are game enough you could make the recess a little under size and just allow the tension of inserting the washer to hold it. Either way you would not have to re chuck the holder just tap the washer in and pick it out. If you want the security of a clamping ring maybe a HD hose clamp.

Good luck.

John.

[This message has been edited by zl1byz (edited 07-20-2004).]

Comment

Yes the tip mentioned would work great, the only thing I would change is turn the part that fits in the chuck to a shoulder so it sets against the jaws of the chuck and thread a hole in the back side to hold in place with a mandrel though the headstock. This way every time you loosen the chuck it will stay in place, it will just release the washer. For production it will be quicker. It will also ensure that the jig stays in one spot so while facing you can ensure each washer is faced at the same thickness.

Mike

Comment

Ops sorry about the name "G A Ewen" was the poster of the original tip.

Good luck

John.

Comment

Tony, what material are these washers out of?

Too bad you are on the other coast. I could stamp these out right to size in a matter of several hours.

Les

Comment

1/4" is enought to provide a good grip. Drill center hole in round stock first (as you planned). Then saw cut as close to final as you dare on your saw. Make a few extras.

Use 4 jaw, reverse the jaws and add spacers to allow about 0.2" in jaws for gripping on the OD. Turn one side of all 200 first. Then do second side with one set up so all will be the same thickness. Centering is not important as you are just facing them so it should go quick. Center the first one only and then just use the same two jaws to dismount and mount each in turn.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 07-20-2004).]
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Yep Paul, I like the 4 jaw and spacer idea. Only need to make the spacer and your in bussiness.

Good idea,

John

Comment

4' of stock will not be enough material.
                              Otherwise, a 5C potchuck, or a similar chuck held in the three jaw is in order for facing the slices.
                              Tune up your bandsaw, and install a new blade of the proper pitch for most effecient and accurate slicing.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X